Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR/Admin for retail, halal/haraam?

Asalaamu Alaykum, hope everyone is well, Insha'Allah
    Had a lot going on this past year (in a not good way) so not been able to post, but i hope everyone is doing okay and having a beneficial Ramadhan. Miss UF and all my sisters in Islam, a lot..

question: Is working in the HR team (i.e doing admin based work on references and inputting contract hours etc) for employees who work in a supermarket (Asda), halal or haraam?

I ask here because i got this job and its my 3rd week..and it only crossed my mind earlier this week.. Because the supermarket sells haraam food and alcohol (as many do in the west).

I don't work in the actual supermarket which is why im only dwelling on it now.. its a seperate office that has their call centre team plus HR/admin for contracts/references.Â*

If anyone knows the answer or could ask a scholar..that would be amazing. Jazakhallahu khairan

TLDR: is working in an office in HR/admin team for a supermarket halal/haraam? Supermarket is Asda. Im inputting contract hours for employees. These employees work in their stores (their stores do sell alcohol/haraam food).Â*

I am worried that my income will be haraam and my du'aas wont be accepted..Aoothubillah.Â*
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

You can try emailing Sheikh Assim Al Hakim iA
    https://www.assimalhakeem.net/ask-a-question/
    I am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Ohh creamcake lol long time no see, im aynina btw.

yea almost every job in the west is haram tbh subhanAllah
      Please visit my Youtube cooking channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiv...YMkhbbgtX-lL8Q

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
        Asalaamu Alaykum, hope everyone is well, Insha'Allah
        Had a lot going on this past year (in a not good way) so not been able to post, but i hope everyone is doing okay and having a beneficial Ramadhan. Miss UF and all my sisters in Islam, a lot..

question: Is working in the HR team (i.e doing admin based work on references and inputting contract hours etc) for employees who work in a supermarket (Asda), halal or haraam?

I ask here because i got this job and its my 3rd week..and it only crossed my mind earlier this week.. Because the supermarket sells haraam food and alcohol (as many do in the west).

I don't work in the actual supermarket which is why im only dwelling on it now.. its a seperate office that has their call centre team plus HR/admin for contracts/references.Â*

If anyone knows the answer or could ask a scholar..that would be amazing. Jazakhallahu khairan

TLDR: is working in an office in HR/admin team for a supermarket halal/haraam? Supermarket is Asda. Im inputting contract hours for employees. These employees work in their stores (their stores do sell alcohol/haraam food).Â*

I am worried that my income will be haraam and my du'aas wont be accepted..Aoothubillah.Â*
        I can ask Sheikh Abu Musab if you want ukthi?
        http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

If you live in the west; a non-Islamic country, then it would be very difficult to avoid any food retailer who does not sell haram foods. If an Islamic scholar informs you that your new job is will you resign? In my opinion this would be a big mistake. Consider the fact that when you are in the process of applying for another vacancy an employer is likely to ask why you left your last job? I get the impression this would not go down well. You will be at a disadvantage.Â*

Comment

Originally posted by lunar View Post
            If you live in the west; a non-Islamic country, then it would be very difficult to avoid any food retailer who does not sell haram foods. If an Islamic scholar informs you that your new job is will you resign? In my opinion this would be a big mistake. Consider the fact that when you are in the process of applying for another vacancy an employer is likely to ask why you left your last job? I get the impression this would not go down well. You will be at a disadvantage.Â*
            So according to you its better to carry on doing a Haraam job then to resign and look for a Halaal one, because "its won't look good on you why you resigned"?

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

So according to you its better to carry on doing a Haraam job then to resign and look for a Halaal one, because "its won't look good on you why you resigned"?
              I appreciate this, but we live in a western society. It is impossible to avoid jobs that are completely pure. I would like to be informed of a job that is not haraam. Somewhere along the line there is likely to be interest on investments, mortgages, loans etc

Comment

I appreciate this, but we live in a western society. It is impossible to avoid jobs that are completely pure. I would like to be informed of a job that is not haraam. Somewhere along the line there is likely to be interest on investments, mortgages, loans etc
                نعوذ بالله من ذلك so you have no problems earning Haraam because you live in western society?

We obey Allah عز و جل and his Messenger ﷺ above all else, not our desires, or those of the kuffar or Shayateen.

Give good advice or keep silent.

Comment

Wa 'alaikum as-salam, good to see you on here sister. May Allah bless you and grant you a way out of every difficulty.

The best thing for you to do would be to ask a scholar whom you trust. Bare in mind that if the scholar has never lived in the West, there may be a deficiency in their understanding of Western problems (in comparison to someone who has lived in the West) and subsequently, their fatawa may reflect that. Due to the scarcity of people of knowledge in the West, you may have to just ask someone from elsewhere in the world. (Personally, I trust Shaykh Assim al Hakeem regarding these matters because I find that his answers are very much in line with Islam Q&A.)

Either way, just remember that our rizq had been written 50,000 years before the Heavens and the Earth were created. So don't worry about it- it will come to you. Just focus on doing your best. I had spent two years trying to secure a decent job. I was offered contracts and would begin working only to then be told a few days into the job that I could no longer work there because of my potential impact on the "reputation" of the company. This was very disheartening for me but I knew that Allah has something better for me. I had gone days without working due to this problem but I was still paid into my account for one reason or another, as if I had worked- subhan Allah. So trust me when I say, you will get the rizq that has been destined for you. And think well of Allah... that helps a lot.
                  Last edited by Muslimah1436; 20-06-19, 07:52 PM.
                  ~‘And He will provide him from (sources) he could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set a measure for all things.’~ - سورة الطلاق : 3

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

نعوذ بالله من ذلك so you have no problems earning Haraam because you live in western society?

We obey Allah عز و جل and his Messenger ﷺ above all else, not our desires, or those of the kuffar or Shayateen.

Give good advice or keep silent.
                    It is not advice but an opinion. You still have not named a job that is purely halal.

Comment

It is not advice but an opinion. You still have not named a job that is purely halal.
                      Your opinion to carry on doing Haraam jobs is devilish and irrelevant.

Allah عز و جل and his Messenger ﷺ have told us to earn Halaal earnings, to have Halaal jobs,

Your telling us everything is Haraam.

Clearly you are the Liar here.

Comment

there is many jobs that are purely Halal, but the hard thing is trying to get a purely Halal job that also lets you have time for prayers also with Friday off or some time off for Friday prayer that's when it gets hard

personally I would like a 4 days a week job Mon-Thursday, I had 6-7 days a week job before and it wasn't worth it, everything suffered especially my iman

someone like Uber really appeals to me not the job etc but the concept as you can work as much as you like, you can stop go prayer work again etc that would be really good imho but you bound to fall into too much haram with that job imho but the concept is really good

Comment

Originally posted by Bayna3 View Post
                          there is many jobs that are purely Halal, but the hard thing is trying to get a purely Halal job that also lets you have time for prayers also with Friday off or some time off for Friday prayer that's when it gets hard

personally I would like a 4 days a week job Mon-Thursday, I had 6-7 days a week job before and it wasn't worth it, everything suffered especially my iman

someone like Uber really appeals to me not the job etc but the concept as you can work as much as you like, you can stop go prayer work again etc that would be really good imho but you bound to fall into too much haram with that job imho but the concept is really good
                          I recall many years ago a very religious friend stating "do you pray five times a day." I replied in the negative; reason been that I was far too busy at work and besides, would not be able to get the time off. His response was "If you have iman, then you can make the time."
                          What did you mean by it is haram to be an Uber driver?

Comment

I recall many years ago a very religious friend stating "do you pray five times a day." I replied in the negative; reason been that I was far too busy at work and besides, would not be able to get the time off. His response was "If you have iman, then you can make the time."
                            What did you mean by it is haram to be an Uber driver?
                            I'm assuming it's the being with females in the car alone, especially ones that are dressed and behave inappropriately, as well as sodomites or groups of them if in a city like London, also where a lot of the trips are taking them to places where you know fahshaa / fusooq is being committed... Customers wanting you to play music while you drive them...

That's unless you're doing it during the day to avoid most of that.

​​​​​​
                            Last edited by Fakhri-bin-Ali; 23-06-19, 01:22 PM.
                            LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
                            -------------------------------------

​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

Being a cab driver is not clear cut haram its more complicated than that and if your gonna say its haram because he picks up someone who takes part in fahsha than also count that you make work in a place such a school that promotes democratic values, lgbt or you may go and buy food from a store that funds countries like israil (pretty much nearly all major supermarket chains do) is it now haram to buy food from there possibly and possibly not

its not that simple one has to take into consideration the situation of the person seeking the fatwa, where they live and how the situation is living in that area and more

second of its a matter of ijtihaad so scholars will differ one will say u cant work in asda and another will say you can

you can give ahadith to support either sides argument

so blanket statements or fatwa that are based on 1 persons question should not just be applied to everyone when it comes to fiqh

Comment

Working...
                              X