When we were kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When we were kids

Life was so simple when we were kids. If we were sad, we would shamelessly roar out a loud cry there and then, in front of everyone in the supermarket and then forget about it. That was the end of our sadness.

We would dream big- real big. "I want to be an astronaut!"- no problem. An astronaut we will be. Or at least, we would hope to be, anyway.

Happiness wasn't something that we'd search for. The smallest of things would make us happy. I remember how two penny sweets would make my day.

It's quite sad that we lose some of these traits as we mature and learn to comprehend things in life. Comprehension is a necessary part of maturing. But somehow, thinking too much can work against us. It can give us reasons to hold grudges against others for many years. We hold back from dreaming "too big" because we weigh out factors that we believe would be a restriction in helping us to achieve what we wish to achieve.

And then there's this never ending search for happiness. A hole in the hearts of many in the world today.
    ~‘And He will provide him from (sources) he could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set a measure for all things.’~ - سورة الطلاق : 3

ah, nostalgia! I revive mine by strictly reading books and listening to most nasheeds made before a certain date, to get that 'it existed when I was a boy playing happily' sense

Comment

people arent happy with life because they arent thinking about akhira

they are thinking about the dunya and materialism

if you wake up and your healthy and you got sheltor and food and your still a believer than thats enough
      this life in dunya is a test and we are meant to struggle and go through trials so our sins are forgiven and we gain ajr through sabr and shukr
      its a blessing for a believer either way

Comment

I was happy til 18 then dragged to the reality of adulthood and the not-so-shiny and fair world out of the blue.

The thing i loved the most was that I had it so easy, everything was just simple and everyone's nice to you cos your young and innocent seeming.
        وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I miss being young, no responsibilities or worries

Comment

I look back at my childhood and I'm glad I grew up at a time before the internet and mobile phones became a thing and could associate good memories with going to friends houses and playing. I cringe when I think of what kids today are growing up with. What will they reminisce about when they grow up? Long virtual chats with someone they've never met? Their favourite insta-celebs? That just sounds awful.

If I'm completely honest though, I don't completely miss being young (as I remember the bad days as well as the good); I miss being healthy more than anything. I wasn't afraid for the future when I had my health whereas now, my parents often like to remind me that they wont be around forever and I'm in no fit state to look after myself.
            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

There is nothing that really stands out to me. I want to be like the clouds, drift off and search. Just a small ride in the sky until the beginning of a new.

I think we will come to know true nostalgia when you step in the hereafter.
              I am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Often I find myself thinking like this. Life is a most challenging thing when you must look after yourself.

Comment

As a child growing up in the 80s life simple yet fun.

I enjoyed primary school. The weekends, half terms and winter and summer holidays. People were not so busy and had time for each other. Playing with cousins. Trips to the park, funfairs (nothing like they are now with the loud music blasting) and seaside trips.

No internet and no mobiles. We used to play games, made them up ourself. Loved reading stories. Was excited about going to the library to get reading books or books to do research for school projects.

It actually used to snow in winter and schools were not closed nor did everything come to a standstill. Summers was not too hot but felt hot enough. The blossoms looked so beautiful in Spring and not forgetting crunching the Autumn leaves whilst running down the road.

Childhood....the memories alhumdulillah.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post
                    As a child growing up in the 80s life simple yet fun.

I enjoyed primary school. The weekends, half terms and winter and summer holidays. People were not so busy and had time for each other. Playing with cousins. Trips to the park, funfairs (nothing like they are now with the loud music blasting) and seaside trips.

No internet and no mobiles. We used to play games, made them up ourself. Loved reading stories. Was excited about going to the library to get reading books or books to do research for school projects.

It actually used to snow in winter and schools were not closed nor did everything come to a standstill. Summers was not too hot but felt hot enough. The blossoms looked so beautiful in Spring and not forgetting crunching the Autumn leaves whilst running down the road.

Childhood....the memories alhumdulillah.

Ahhhh my favourite thing to do was to stamp all over the Autumn leaves! My mum used to tell me off, saying that there may be snails under them :/

Now, I just want the streets to be clean lol
                    ~‘And He will provide him from (sources) he could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set a measure for all things.’~ - سورة الطلاق : 3

Comment

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
                      There is nothing that really stands out to me. I want to be like the clouds, drift off and search. Just a small ride in the sky until the beginning of a new.

I think we will come to know true nostalgia when you step in the hereafter.
                      That's really deep. Can't imagine how it'd feel to enter Jannah, in sha Allah. May Allah forgive us and grant us beautiful homes in Jannah!

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                        I look back at my childhood and I'm glad I grew up at a time before the internet and mobile phones became a thing and could associate good memories with going to friends houses and playing. I cringe when I think of what kids today are growing up with. What will they reminisce about when they grow up? Long virtual chats with someone they've never met? Their favourite insta-celebs? That just sounds awful.

If I'm completely honest though, I don't completely miss being young (as I remember the bad days as well as the good); I miss being healthy more than anything. I wasn't afraid for the future when I had my health whereas now, my parents often like to remind me that they wont be around forever and I'm in no fit state to look after myself.
                        How can you avoid letting kids use such devices, though? They see laptops, ipads, phones and TVs almost everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Plinchun View Post
                          ah, nostalgia! I revive mine by strictly reading books and listening to most nasheeds made before a certain date, to get that 'it existed when I was a boy playing happily' sense
                          I thought you were only 13?

Comment

Even in the 1990s when I lived away from home as a student, I decided to live without a TV. I wanted to live without a TV when I returned home but my parents said it was their house, their rules so they refused to get rid of it. Even back then I'd decided that if I had my own place and my own kids, I wouldn't have a TV in the house. Back then everyone was expected to have a TV and if they didn't, it became a peer pressure thing or fear of missing out on what everyone was talking about- the same can be said about devices now.

I'm not saying that I'd have no online devices in the house though, I'm just saying I'm not someone who caves into peer pressure over such things. I know this would seem like a VERY old fashioned approach, but if I had kids, I'd be okay with them using the internet on a computer, but I wouldn't let primary school age kids have mobile phones. My brother told me when he wanted to buy laptops and mobile phones for his kids cos' they pestered him and said the laptops were for homework. I warned him well before time that if they have laptops, they'll lose interest in interacting with the family when they come round and they'll be glued to their screens. He whined and talked about some pipe dream he had of setting limitations on it, but as usual, he didn't heed my advice and things happened exactly the way I warned him they would. My point is, if kids have access to the internet through a shared computer, it's a lot easier to supervise, to restrict it to one place and set limits on it for a fixed amount of time whereas a phone or ipad would go with them everywhere. So that way it would be present, but easier to switch off and set aside than something in the pocket all the time.

Originally posted by Muslimah1436 View Post

How can you avoid letting kids use such devices, though? They see laptops, ipads, phones and TVs almost everywhere.
                            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

- Having many relatives visit very frequently
                              - Playing outside, especially on those long, summer days
                              - Lots of arguments and fights with many siblings
                              - Watching the sky at sunset from the balcony on the block we lived in.

Not really much nostalgia there.
                              Most notable feature was the very close company of siblings. Seeing as we all thankfully get along and see oneanother very often even now, alhamdulillah, there's not too much to miss.
                              ​​​​​
                              ​​​​​
                              LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
                              -------------------------------
                              "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
                              NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

Working...
                              X