Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medication for mental health- helpful or obstructive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medication for mental health- helpful or obstructive?

I know there could be cases where taking medication for mental illness can help the person achieve certain objectives they could not achieve without it.

But how helpful is such medication such as anti depressants for most people? Does it stop them from overcoming real issues by reducing the symptoms?

Some suggest only taking this medication for a short while and then trying to tackle issues in life after a 'break'.

Or maybe the medication is helpful when prescribed correctly and it is upto the individual to deal with their own issues at the same time?

yes ur right

as these meds just change level of neurotransmitters
    and so that leads to reduction in negative symptoms

but doesnt stop the actual underlying causes

Comment

but quran and honey is shifa

i been in situations where i had mad headache or felt like crap
      after reading quran or being in salaat in jamaat hearing quran its gone

reading quran will cure any mental issue such as anxiety depression etc

but u also have to read the meaning
      as all the answers are there but u need to know and understans

Comment

From what I understand the way they find out what works is keep prescribing till something works. When it works, it actually keeps patients from self harm

but i think its very important individuals exhaust every possible solution before deciding to go on pills.
        "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Some doctors over prescribe anti-depressants. Recents studies show that most people with depression can be treated with long term therapy but that doctors go through the easiest and cheapest route which is medicine. Now if long term therapy isn't working than medicine should be a resort along with therapy.

I personally have bi polar disorder and use to take seroquel but stopped taking them on my own accord because it made me feel out of it, like an outer body experience on a daily basis.
          Don't depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in the darkness

Comment

i think medicine is helpful, depending on what condition you have that is...

Comment

Jazak Allah khair for all the answers.

i guess it's down to individual experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Allah's_Servant
                Some doctors over prescribe anti-depressants. Recents studies show that most people with depression can be treated with long term therapy but that doctors go through the easiest and cheapest route which is medicine. Now if long term therapy isn't working than medicine should be a resort along with therapy.

I personally have bi polar disorder and use to take seroquel but stopped taking them on my own accord because it made me feel out of it, like an outer body experience on a daily basis.
                how long have you been diagnosed with bipolar?

how does it effect you day to day?

Comment

If I can painkillers for my pain, I can take medicine for mental health.

I'm sure the same people that say rely on Allah take painkillers when they have a headache. Why don't they read the last three surahs of the Qur'an instead? Or is this advice not applicable to physical pain? Why is relying on Allah remedial for mental health but not physical health?
                  8 powerful habits to succeed

1. Wake up early!
                  2. Do it as soon as possible, you could die tonight so make the best of today
                  3. Remember your life is unique, don't compare yourself to others. Use that jealousy as an energy to make your life a success"
                  4. Have healthy habits. Set a time each day to exercise. Try with the mindset you're only going to do some jumping jacks for 5 seconds and the next thing you know, you're doing a workout!
                  5. Read, read, read. Ponder over the Qur'an, learn more. Put the idiot box (TV) away
                  6. Take note. Desires make slaves out of kings and patience makes kings out of slaves.
                  7. Results aren't just worldly. Results are also about perseverance, retaining dignity, being honest, being honourable, doing good unto others.
                  8. Always encourage others especially our brothers and sisters, let them know making mistakes is okay, we all make mistakes, do not ever undermine them and make them feel incompetent. This is also true for the dunya, so what if they don't get the maths sum right the first time, that is what LEARNING is.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJubtizAEfU

Watch this when you're distressed!

Comment

Best remedy > quran.

How about supplement like omega 3 / vitamin d / black seed oil.

I hear good thingz about them for mental health.

Peace.
                    Jazak Allah Khair For All Your Duas.

Comment

Destructive. See how many side effects they have, they take away 1 problem and replace it with 10 others. Often one of the side effects of mental health meds is suicidal thoughts, hello?
                      Please visit my Youtube cooking channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiv...YMkhbbgtX-lL8Q

Comment

This might sound like some mindfulness mumbo jumbo - but you need to believe that the human mind and the human will power is an incredible force. You can achieve peace of mind, if you can master the way you think.

Look at your diet, your physical activity level, what do you do daily/weekly that gives you satisfaction/happiness?

Medication should be the last option.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic. View Post

I'm sure the same people that say rely on Allah take painkillers when they have a headache. Why don't they read the last three surahs of the Qur'an instead? Or is this advice not applicable to physical pain? Why is relying on Allah remedial for mental health but not physical health?
                          Were you seriously relating these two? I hope this was a troll, because it's definitely not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic. View Post

You are correct. Ruqya is for all types of afflictions and ailments.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaahM View Post

Were you seriously relating these two? I hope this was a troll, because it's definitely not the same thing.
                              Yes I am.
                              8 powerful habits to succeed

1. Wake up early!
                              2. Do it as soon as possible, you could die tonight so make the best of today
                              3. Remember your life is unique, don't compare yourself to others. Use that jealousy as an energy to make your life a success"
                              4. Have healthy habits. Set a time each day to exercise. Try with the mindset you're only going to do some jumping jacks for 5 seconds and the next thing you know, you're doing a workout!
                              5. Read, read, read. Ponder over the Qur'an, learn more. Put the idiot box (TV) away
                              6. Take note. Desires make slaves out of kings and patience makes kings out of slaves.
                              7. Results aren't just worldly. Results are also about perseverance, retaining dignity, being honest, being honourable, doing good unto others.
                              8. Always encourage others especially our brothers and sisters, let them know making mistakes is okay, we all make mistakes, do not ever undermine them and make them feel incompetent. This is also true for the dunya, so what if they don't get the maths sum right the first time, that is what LEARNING is.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJubtizAEfU

Watch this when you're distressed!

Comment

Working...
                              X