Is a man known by the company he keeps and his teachers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a man known by the company he keeps and his teachers

We pick up habits from those we spend time with...

Teachers play a pivitol role in shaping us...

Based on the above would you agree that a man is known by the company he keeps and by his teachers?
    Watch those eyes

I heard someone mention that studying without teachers can be dangerous since you learn manners from observing the way they behave, and some of those who self-study end up with terrible manners and are incredibly arrogant.
    Last edited by .khayriyyah.; 13-09-18, 03:39 AM.
    "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."
    - Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah)

Comment

• Abu julaybeeb
      Abu julaybeeb commented
      Editing a comment
      Imam maliks mum

Learn manners before knowledge

In reference to the scholars she was taking him to learn from

If you see someone constantly surrounded by bad company, you count the person as one of them, so yes, a man is known by his company.

even the kuffar in high school said that, i remember there was a girl who was a bit of a slut if im allowed to say it like that, and i had a friend who said she wouldnt want to be friend with her because that would make her a slut as well
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by .khayriyyah. View Post
      I heard someone mention that studying without teachers can be dangerous since you learn manners from observing the way they behave, and some of those who self-study end up with terrible manners and are incredibly arrogant.
      That is a very good point you make. I, too, have noticed that people who study on their own tend to incline toward being extremely arrogant and have no adab at all.

Having said that, I met a person on Whatsapp six month ago. I believe he was a graduate of a Darul Uluum.

Yet, he was so arrogant and rude. He used language which was so unfitting of a person who claimed to have studied in a Darul Uluum. I saved his chat but promised I would not expose him. i do not think exposing anyone is ever a good idea. It shows you do not have the sincerest intentions for the person. Additionally, no one knows him on this forum, I believe.

He was not anyone important.

However, the encounter reminded me of how even a person who has studied 8 years under teachers can have no adab at all and use foul language.

That got me thinking if his teachers shaped him like that or if he ended up like that for other reasons....
      Watch those eyes

Comment

Absolutely agree.

Comment

Pretty sure there is a hadith saying that and also a qawl from the salaf.
          They say you contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
          And they don't mind contradicting the Furqan

I contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
          For you have contradicted the one who came with the Qur'an

Comment

Your the religion of your friend so becareful who you befriend

muhammed ibn abdullah صلي الله عليه سلام

Comment

Originally posted by ummsayfullah View Post
              Pretty sure there is a hadith saying that and also a qawl from the salaf.

On the authority of Abu Musa al-Ash'ari (radiAllahu anhu), the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said:

"The likeness of a righteous friend and an evil friend, is the likeness of a (musk) perfume seller and a blacksmith. As for the perfume seller, he may either bestow something on you, or you may purchase something from him, or you may benefit from his sweet smell. And as for the blacksmith, he may either burn your clothes, or you may be exposed to his awful smell."

[Bukhari and Muslim]
              يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post

That is a very good point you make. I, too, have noticed that people who study on their own tend to incline toward being extremely arrogant and have no adab at all.

Having said that, I met a person on Whatsapp six month ago. I believe he was a graduate of a Darul Uluum.

Yet, he was so arrogant and rude. He used language which was so unfitting of a person who claimed to have studied in a Darul Uluum. I saved his chat but promised I would not expose him. i do not think exposing anyone is ever a good idea. It shows you do not have the sincerest intentions for the person. Additionally, no one knows him on this forum, I believe.

He was not anyone important.

However, the encounter reminded me of how even a person who has studied 8 years under teachers can have no adab at all and use foul language.

That got me thinking if his teachers shaped him like that or if he ended up like that for other reasons....
                Teachers don't teach arrogance,

Your assuming again as usual,

Why people lile you just keep making Evil assumptions based on your experiences, clearly does not befit a Muslim
                http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

Why people lile you just keep making Evil assumptions based on your experiences, clearly does not befit a Muslim
                    You two brothers should really just stop quoting each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

As usual, you totally butcher someone's post in order to create an argument. He didn't say or mean that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

You two brothers should really just stop quoting each other.
                        I don't quote him anymore but he has a good point there you know. My best friend often reminds me how I have this habit of taking a small population of people and then making generalizations. I actually asked him in a PM to continue to pick out my mistakes and correct me. He seems to have taken my advice. In this particular instance, he has actually picked out what I have often been reminded of by my best friend.

You know, its not a bad thing to have foes online. Once you have gotten under someone's skin, you can be sure that they will read everything you say with microscopic vision. You actually have a person who now offers you free advice. And in this case, he has made a very valid observation.

From all I know, there are so many things that individual could have suffered from.

He might be going through a tough time with his wife.
                        He may not have a job.
                        He may have disliked me because I was not an Ash'ari.
                        He may have been irked by the fact that I messaged him out of the blue.
                        He may have had a bad day.
                        He may have had parents who fought all the time.
                        His dad might have been abusive.

The list is endless.

So many possibilities.

The great thing about forums is that your friends learn from you. You get rewards.

Your opponents are sure to scrutinize everything you say which helps you improve yourself. If they do it out of malice you get the bonus of the extra reward.

It is a win win.

There was a brother online I once corrected. He really didn't take it well. I messaged him and he told me I was a kaafir in disguise of a Muslim. Imagine the loads of rewards he just gave me there for free!
                        Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
                          ...From all I know, there are so many things that individual could have suffered from...
                          ...That got me thinking if his teachers shaped him like that or if he ended up like that for other reasons...
                          You already alluded to that...
                          -_-

Comment

Being objective is not always easy. Sometimes, you give yourself less credit than due to ensure you aren't shying away from the truth.

Jazaak Allaah for pointing that out.
                            Watch those eyes

Comment

Working...
                            X