Sadness/ depression on the rise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadness/ depression on the rise?

I don't have any statistics to back my claim. And I could be biased with my observation, but it seems I'm sorrounded and have been encoutering lots of people afflicted with apathy. People feeling hopeless and generally seem miserable. Yes, most are muslim and some are even practicing. What's up? Any solutions?have you been seeing the same?

'' WE LIVE IN AN INTERESTING TIME, WHERE THE 'ILM (KNOWLEDGE) OF A PERSON IS JUDGED BY HOW FAMOUS THE PERSON IS.''

- IMAM ANWAR AL 'AWLAQI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_QSe_wxeHM
    I am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by Silent being View Post
      I don't have any statistics to back my claim. And I could be biased with my observation, but it seems I'm sorrounded and have been encoutering lots of people afflicted with apathy. People feeling hopeless and generally seem miserable. Yes, most are muslim and some are even practicing. What's up? Any solutions?have you been seeing the same?

Your title mention Sadness/depression but your op mentions apathy. These are not the same thing, right?

I think when you are young there is a tendency to over complicate things, when you get older you tend to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Silent being
        Silent being commented
        Editing a comment
        No, its not the same thing. Though, depression often causes apathy.

So its like a phase you have to go through to get to the other side. Nice to know.

There's alot of people who seem to look for reasons to feel sorry for themselves.

Perhaps one reason is the high expectations society generally has; job, education, beauty etc, compounded by the celebrity worshipping culture.
      When people fall short of these expectations they need to find things to blame their inadequacy on (sometimes self-perceived inadequacy). And so they vent their pent up frustrations on what they perceive to be responsible for their shortcomings (parents, culture, bad company etc).
      And hence sit there wallowing in their own self-pity.

Sometimes people need to be told to just stop thinking.

​​​

Comment

As salam alaikum

"Public sentiments", or "the people's sentiments" are a real aspect that a faqih or pious believers should be aware of and concerned about. On the days of Eidayn, the people are joyous, happy, celebratory. When a family member, or family members or a beloved leader dies, people are mournful, emotionally raw. When people lose a battle, they feel despondent, defeated.

When there was a loud noise in Madinah, people were frightened and confused, so the Prophet (saws) took Abu Talha's horse without saddle and rode out to investigate, calming their fears. Sentiments and emotions are real, and believers should be concerned about them and know how to address them.

When the Prophet (saws) died and people were unquestionably sad, despondent, the Sahaba (rah) acted quickly to strengthen the Ummah from within by immediately selecting a khalifa to the Prophet (saws), even before they buried him (saws). This

The people's sentiments, especially those of the believers, are despondent, mournful, sad- yes. There are valid reasons for it.

Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
        " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

Comment

Originally posted by Silent being View Post

I agree.

Think also now more people are more open about how they feel. People also have more awareness of these types of feelings. Before people just got on with it. If they were depressed or sad it was not acknowledged.

As for solutions for Muslims the remedy lies in the rememberance of Allah. Keeping good company and not spending alot of time alone.

The book "Don't Be Sad" is really a good read whether or not one is suffering sadness/depression.

Comment

Its because of atheism.

Comment

I do suffer from Depression on and off. As to what's causing it? there's many different reasons for it. Sometimes it's things happening in the world, personal hardships, and the like. What can be done? Find someone to talk to, seek help, and most importantly, remember your faith. For us, Allah swt has created both great times and difficult times.
              "Knowing what you don’t know is more useful than being brilliant.”
              -Charlie Munger
              "It seems that we're better at finding someone to blame for our problems than we are at finding creative solutions to fix them.”
              -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Talk about clinically diagnosed depression and general depression, despondency sadness, should be distinct. Op said Muslims at the masjid seem depressed.

there are Muslim children orphaned, exiled from their homes, becoming sex slaves of demonic evil kufar and Rafidis. Muslim armies are letting this happen while their leaders enjoy their lives, vacationing on French beaches, spending millions on a painting. Mushrikeen temples going up in Arabia while Islam being attacked everywhere.

If you are happy in this life, there 's something wrong.
                Last edited by Abu Kamel; 01-08-18, 02:43 PM.
                Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
                " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

Comment

Working...
                X