Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books vs PDF

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

I have over 200 PDF “books” in my hard-drive, both in English and Arabic language. I have also about 60 hard-copy (photo of my small library below)

I encourage everyone here to buy hardcopies and to ditch (or semi-ditch) PDFs.

Having hardcopies, apart from less strain to the eyes, has so many benefits!
    • Reading from books will have less strain to the eyes therefore you would be spending more time reading
    • Highlights, bookmarks, and note taking will help you put information from short term memory to long term (yes you can do all that to a PDF, however, studies have shown writing things down actually saves information in your long term memory part of the brain but not when typing)
    • Spending money as opposed to downloading for free will also encourage you read and utilize the books.
    • Having a library encourages you to pursue knowledge - yes just having books will have an affect like this to some if not most people! Ustadh Muneer talks about this (Hadith Disciple on YouTube)
    • The art of looking at references, glossaries etc. (To find something inside a book, you can't just hit Ctrl + F, you have to look at the glossaries, indexes and chapter titles. This in of itself is a skill to learn!
    So when would I encourage PDFs? When there's no hardcopy version available to you, then get a PDF or digital copy. When you need something to read whilst travelling to work and home and having a big book (like the Ihkām fī Usūl Ahkām I got on the photo below) is unrealistic and a burden.

Below is my small library named “مكتبة الأئمة بن حزم والشوكاني” (Library of Imāms Ibn Hazm and ash Shawkānī)

d_dhahiri_library

As to where I get my books, well Islāmic bookstores or Jamalon website which offers free shipping worldwide.

إن شاء الله

Later on I will make a post on what books someone starting out should be focusing on getting. And since most of my books are in Arabic (and there's no English translation available), I'll focus on fundamental books which would have English translations - though, come to think of it, some fundamental books are only published in Arabic.

And also, I was working on a translation for Ihkām fī Usūl al Ahkām, but had to postpone that to focus on my Arabic studies.

But that's another story for another time.

Feel free to post photos of your libraries, books and words of encouragement regarding buying hardcopies. Also if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Comment

Jazakallah khayr brother,

I think your right.

Can you put a link up of Jamalon ? How long do the Books take to ship to UK (if anyone knows) addresses

Looking forwad to Ramadhan....need to increase my study time.
      Last edited by coffeecat; 09-05-18, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeecat View Post
        Jazakallah khayr brother,

I think your right.

Can you put a link up of Jamalon ? How long do the Books take to ship to UK (if anyone knows) addresses

Looking forwad to Ramadhan....need to increase my study time.
        Āmīn, wasn't sure if I was allowed to post links.

https://jamalon.com/en/

There you go, as for shipping, it can take a while to get it packed and shipped. Usually for me, it will take about 5 business days to confirm that it has been packed and shipped, then another business week for it to arrive. It shouldn't take longer than 3-4 weeks though. (Hey, it's free shipping!)

And I've ordered both the al Muhallā and the Fatāwa of ash Shawkānī (both volumes are on the top of my shelf), each one is about 20kg+ of books. (Al Muhallā is 19 volumes, and the Fatāwa of ash Shawkānī is 13 volumes) and still I got them for free shipping.

Comment

That's a nice collection. My books are all in English. And since I can never say no to someone if they want to borrow - I've ended up with some volumes missing.

I prefer hardcopies too. Although space can be an issue.

Comment

Working...
          X