X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short moral stories

:start:

:salams - Peace be to you all

:insha: I will post short moral stories either Islamic or from other traditions from time to time. I hope you enjoy and benefit from the light reading.

__________________________________________________ ________

What do You Know?

The people knew that Mulla Nasruddin was generally intolerant of preachers and lecturers, so they asked him to give a sermon. He climbed into the pulpit and said: "Do you know what I am going to speak about?"

"No," everybody answered.

"If you are so ignorant, I am not going to waste time speaking to you," Nasruddin said and climbed down from the pulpit.

The following day he put the same question to them. This time everyone's answer was, "Yes, we know."

"If you know," Nasruddin replied, "then what am I here for?" And he left the mosque.

The third day, to the same question, half of the worshipers said, "We know," while the other half said, "We don't know."

So Nasruddin responded: "Let those who know tell those who don't."

[author unknown]
    Please Re-update your Signature

The Grammarian

A grammarian fell into a well one day and had difficulty climbing up the slippery sides.

A little later, a Dervish chanced by and heard the man's cries for succor. In the casual language of everyday life, the dervish offered aid.

The grammarian replied, "I would certainly appreciate your help. But by the way, you have committed an error in your speech," which the grammarian proceeded to specify.

"A good point," acknowledged the dervish. "I had best go off awhile and try to improve my skills." And so he did, leaving the grammarian at the bottom of the well.

[author unknown]

Comment

The Banquet

A Story from the Middle East

A poor man dressed in rags came to the palace to attend the banquet. Out of courtesy he was admitted but, because of his tattered clothing, he was seated at the very end of the banquet table. By the time the platters arrived at his seat, there was no food left on them.

So he left the banquet, returning several hours later dressed in robes and jewels he had borrowed from a wealthy friend. This time he was brought immediately to the head of the table and, with great ceremony, food was brought to his seat first.

"Oh, what delicious food I see being served upon my plate." He rubbed one spoonful into his clothes for every one he ate.

A nobleman beside him, grimacing at the mess, inquired, "Sir, why are you rubbing food into your fine clothes?"

"Oh," he replied with a chuckle, "Pardon me if my robes now look the worst. But it was these clothes that brought me all this food. It's only fair that they be fed first!"

<!--========== Begin Nested Table ==========-->[author unknown]

Comment

Love and Time

Once upon a time, there was an island where all the feelings lived: Happiness, Sadness, Knowledge, and all of the others, including Love. One day it was announced to the feelings that the island would sink, so all constructed boats and left. Except for Love.

Love was the only one who stayed. Love wanted to hold out until the last possible moment.

When the island had almost sunk, Love decided to ask for help.

Richness was passing by Love in a grand boat. Love said,
        "Richness, can you take me with you?"
        Richness answered, "No, I can't. There is a lot of gold and silver in my boat. There is no place here for you."

Love decided to ask Vanity who was also passing by in a beautiful vessel. "Vanity, please help me!"
        "I can't help you, Love. You are all wet and might damage my boat," Vanity answered.

Sadness was close by so Love asked, "Sadness, let me go with you."
        "Oh . . . Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself!"

Happiness passed by Love, too, but she was so happy that she did not even hear when Love called her.

Suddenly, there was a voice, "Come, Love, I will take you." It was an elder. So blessed and overjoyed, Love even forgot to ask the elder where they were going. When they arrived at dry land, the elder went her own way. Realizing how much was owed the elder,

Love asked Knowledge, another elder, "Who Helped me?"
        "It was Time," Knowledge answered.
        "Time?" asked Love. "But why did Time help me?"
        Knowledge smiled with deep wisdom and answered, "Because only Time is capable of understanding how valuable Love is."

[author unknown]

Comment

<CENTER>Old Man Yu Moves the Mountains

</CENTER>

A story from Chinafarawayhttp://www.interlog.com/~fccs/culture.htm]
          Last edited by redsulphur; 02-06-05, 06:29 AM.

Comment

The Fox and the Grapes

One hot summer's day a Fox was strolling through an orchard
            till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which
            had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench
            my thirst," said he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and
            a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a
            One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again
            and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to
            give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I
            am sure they are sour."

by Aesops

Comment

Very nice.
              Thank you.
              May others share short moral stories here as well?

Respectfully,
              History

Comment

Once upon a time there was a fine stag who ruled a herd of deer in a forest and it had a beautiful wife. The doe was very devoted to her husband and helped him in all matters of life.

One day, the stag was caught in the trap of a hunter and the doe was very frightened as was the stag. All the friends of the stag left him. But the doe remained steadfast next to him and waited for the hunter to come. She was very devoted to her husband. As soon as the hunter came, she fell on his knees and begged, "Sir! please make a nice bed of leaves for me and my husband and then kill me first and then my husband and you can have a nice feast."

The hunter was so amazed and surprised by her love, that he went to first free the stag before he prepared the bed of leaves, and in a split second, the stag and the doe ran after being free.

Moral: Great love can achieve anything.

Comment

Originally posted by History
                  Very nice.
                  Thank you.
                  May others share short moral stories here as well?

Respectfully,
                  History

Hello History :)

I will be away for a while.... so if you would like to share some short moral and wise stories then please do so. Be my guest! and all are welcome.

Kindest regards & peace

redsulphur

Comment

Thank you, Redsulphur.

The Greatest Blessing

Rabbi Isaac was not only Rabbi Nahman's mentor, but his dear friend. At the end of a long day of study, Rabbi Nahman asked his teacher to give him a blessing before the two men parted.

Rabbi Isaac replied, "Your request reminds me of the story of a man traveling across the desert. Not long after the start of his journey, the man runs out of food and water. Overcome by exhaustion, he can go no further. Fortunately he come upon a beautiful tree laden with magnificent fruit. The man eats a few pieces, thinking to himself, 'My, this is the tastiest fruit I have ever eaten.' Observing the tree's strong branches, he notices that they are bountiful with leaves. Under the tree's abundant shade, the man rests peacefully while he is recovering his strength. Upon awakening, he spots a bubbling brook flowing near the tree's roots, and he drinks its cool, refreshing water. Like the fruit, it too is nourishing and delicious. "Filled with vigor, the man wishes to express his appreciation to the tree before embarking on his journey. 'You have given me so much," he said. "How can I bless you in return?'"

Rabbi Isaac turned to his student and asked, "Should the man bless the tree by saying, 'May your fruit be sweet?' But that would be foolish, since he had already enjoyed the sweet taste of its fruit. "Should the man bless the tree by saying, "May your limbs be wide and filled with beautiful leaves?' But that would be foolish, since he had already sought refuge from the sun under the shade that the tree had provided. "Should he have blessed the tree by saying, 'May clean, cool waters flow swiftly beside you to nourish your roots?' But that would be foolish, since such waters already flowed by the tree."

"How then should the man bless the tree?" asked Rabbi Nahman.

Rabbi Isaac turned to his friend and answered, "He should have asked in blessing that all the tree's saplings be blessed just as the tree itself was."

With this, the learned rabbi said, "And this is the way it is with you, my dear friend and student. For how can I seek to bless you? With knowledge? That would be foolish, for you already have knowledge. With wealth? That would be silly because the riches of the world are already yours.

"Perhaps with children," Rabbi Isaac continued. "I could ask that you be blessed with children, but you already have children.

"And so my most sincere and deep hope for you in blessing is simply this: May your children grow to be as you are, and bless you with the same abundance of goodness that you give to others."
                    ------------[Talmud: Ta'anit 5b]

Commentary: We are all blessed with one thing or another; it may be a measure of material goods, or intellect, or physical attributes. Yet there is no greater blessing than to see whatever goodness we possess reproduced in our offspring. Another blessing is to see the values that we cherish carried on by those who come after us.

Above all, we want everything with which we have been blessed to be passed on to our children, so they can continue to offer the same goodness to the world.

This is the greatest blessing, and there is no finer legacy.
                    ----------Source: Saving the World Entire, Rabbi Bradley Bleefield, 1998

Respectfully,
                    History

Comment

Thirst for Learningwww.islamcan.com
                      You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

Words and Actions Should Be the Same

There once was a boy who loved eating sweets. He always asked for sweets from his father. His father was a poor man. He could not always afford sweets for his son. But the little boy did not understand this, and demanded sweets all the time.

The boy's father thought hard about how to stop the child asking for so many sweets. There was a very holy man living nearby at that time. The boy's father had an idea. He decided to take the boy to the great man who might be able to persuade the child to stop asking for sweets all the time.

The boy and his father went along to the great man. The father said to him, "O great saint, could you ask my son to stop asking for sweets which I cannot afford?" The great man was in difficulty, because he liked sweets himself. How could he ask the boy to give up asking for sweets? The holy man told the father to bring his son back after one month.

During that month, the holy man gave up eating sweets, and when the boy and his father returned after a month, the holy man said to the boy "My dear child, will you stop asking for sweets which your father cannot afford to give you?"

From then on, the boy stopped asking for sweets.

The boy's father asked the saint, "Why did you not ask my son to give up asking for sweets when we came to you a month ago?" The saint replied, "How could I ask a boy to give up sweets when I loved sweets myself. In the last month I gave up eating sweets."

A person's example is much more powerful than just his words. When we ask someone to do something, we must do it ourselves also. We should not ask others to do what we do not do ourselves.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT YOUR ACTIONS AND YOUR WORDS ARE THE SAME.

[ Author: Unknown ]
                        حَسْبُنَا اللَّهُ وَ نِعْمَ الْوَكِيلُ

Comment

Do actions speak louder than words in the islamic sense?

Does one talks ill of people directly to the person involved better than the one who dresses inapropriately attractin' attention to her body for all to see...

I think commmittin' an open public sin is far worse than swearin' at s/o, 'cos only a few ppl will be affected that hear foul mouth rantin', while many can be affected by ones actions.
                          Rabbana atinaa fidDunya hasanatan wa fil Akhirati hasanatan wa qinaa adhaban Naar

Comment

Two parables

Once upon a time a bird in a cage sang for her merchant.
                            He took such delight in her song day and night that her feelings began to matter.

What message do they have for me from their lovely forest that will set my heart at ease?
                            Oh I yearn for my beloved, to fly with him and spread my captive wings!
                            Until then I sit disconsolate separate from all things sweet.

The merchant went on his donkey through the thick and melodious wood. When he got to where his bird was from he stopped and pushed back his hood.

All the birds listened to his tale, then suddenly one bird shrieked and fell from its branch to the ground, dead. The merchant froze to the spot he stood on. Nothing could astound him more than this did. He went to the city and traded his goods, Then he returned to his house and went around in a mood unable to speak.

Finally his bird asked him what message came from their beaks and he stood before her cage and said,

He opened the door and reached in and took her into his hand, careful not to drop her, but, once out in the air, she flew up with one swoop and flew out of the window onto the nearest roof slope.

So I go now to my loved on who is waiting for me .
                            All I did was play dead. All I had to do was die.
                            Its easy once you use your head. Goodbye, goodbye, master no more.

She returned
                            no more.

by Jalal al-Din Rumi (ra)

Comment

Story of the man who killed 99
                              [A true account from ahadith]

Abu Sa'id al-Khudri (ra) reported Allah's Messenger :saw: was saying:

There was a person before you who had killed ninety-nine persons and then made an inquiry about the learned persons of the world (who could show him the way to salvation). He was directed to a monk. He came to him and told him that he had killed ninety-nine persons and asked him whether there was any scope for his repentance to be accepted.

He said: No.

He killed him also and thus completed one hundred.

He then asked about the learned persons of the earth and he was directed to a scholar, and he told him that he had killed one hundred persons and asked him whether there was any scope for his repentance to be accepted.

He said: Yes; what stands between you and the repentance?

You better go to such and such land; there are people devoted to prayer and worship and you also worship along with them and do not come to the land of yours since it was an evil land (for you).

So he went away and he had hardly covered half the distance when death came to him and there was a dispute between the angels of mercy and the angels of punishment.

The angels of mercy said: This man has come as a penitant and remorseful to Allah and the angels of punishment said: He has done no good at all. Then there came another angel in the form of a human being in order to decide between them. He said: You measure the land to which he has drawn near. They measured it and found him nearer to the land where he intended to go (the land of piety), and so the angels of mercy took possession of it.
                              Qatada(ra) said that Hasan(ra) told him that it was said to them that as death approached him, he crawled upon his chest (and managed) to slip in the land of mercy.

Sahih Muslim Book 037, Number 6662

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X