X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

The Prophet :saw: said:

It will be said to the companion of the Qur’aan: Recite and rise in status, recite as you used to recite in the world, for your status will be at the last verse that you recite.

This tradition has been recorded in both Tirmidi Shareef and Sunan Abi Dawood and has been classified as Sahih (authentic) by the late Muhaddith (Scholar of Hadith) Sheikh Al-albani.

The word Companion in this Hadith has been understood to mean a person who has memorized the Quran. As is evident by the following words of the Hadith "Recite and rise in status" that with each memorized Verse which a person recites, he will rise a rank in Paradise.

The Quran has more than 6000 Verses. Imagine how many ranks a person who has memorized the Quran will rise in Paradise. Not only this. Such a person will be in the company if the noble Angels as the Prophet :saw: has mentioned in the following authentic Tradition:

The likeness of the one who reads Qur’aan and memorizes it is that he is with the righteous honorable scribes. The likeness of the one who reads it and tries hard to memorize it even though it is difficult for him, he will have two rewards.

Additionally, just consider for a moment the joy of knowing that one has the Words of God, the all powerful and Supreme Ruler of all that exists, in his heart. The Words of a Being the likeness of whom does not exist. Truly, it is a feeling that cannot be described in words.
    Of course, Memorizing the Quran appears to be a daunting task. This is especially true if you do not know how to go about Memorizing such a large Book.

My story

It took me 10 years to Memorize the Quran. This was because of lack of knowledge of proper memorizing technique. I used the technique used in Islamic Madrassas. Unfortunately, this technique did not suit a person like me who had horrible memory.

God has blessed me with a strong short term memory but my long term memory is the worst on the planet. After having memorized 20 Juz I fell ill due to a mental illness. After I recovered I had pretty much given up all hope of memorizing the Quran. However, God had ordained that I memorize it so I ended up doing so.

Nevertheless, after I memorized it I was faced with the problem of transferring what I had learned into my long term memory. It was then that God guided me to a technique which has been known to cognitive psychologists for a long time. A technique I used and am still using to transfer what I have memories into my long term memory and it has worked wonders.

Spaced Repetition

Spaced Repetition is a technique in which a person practices recalling what he has memorized at intervals of increasing time. Dong so transfers what one has memorized into long term memory. For those interested in reading about this phenomenon in detail I would recommend the following website.

Spaced Repetition Details

For those who do not have the time to understand this phenomenon just remember this. If you want to transfer information into long term you need to recall the information just when you are about to forget it. After each time you recall it the next interval required for recall the information in order to prevent forgetfulness increases. Eventually, a time comes when you only have to recall what you have memorized once a year!

At this point you are probably wondering how does one know when one is about to forget what he or she has memorized. Well, this is based on a formula which was devised by a Polish scientist after extensive research and experimentation. The formula is implemented by free software such as Anki. You can use this software to schedule when to remind you to recall what you have memorized from the Quran.

My Experience

Prior to using spaced repetition, it would take me fifteen to twenty minutes to review a page I had memorized. However, with the help of spaced repetition I was able to review a page within 3 to 5 minutes and a complete Juz within one to one and a half hour! And this was for a guy like me who has horrible memory. And the best part is that I felt no tension while reviewing.

Memorizing the Quran had become so easy!

This technique is often used by people who learn languages and need to memorize large lists of vocabulary. Psychologists are shocked that schools do not implement spaced repetition to teach information. They say not using this system despite the research which supports its effectiveness is like a person who has weak eyesight but refuses to wear glasses despite knowing that glasses can help him see properly!

Anki

Anki is a free program which you can use to memorize the Quran. It implements spaced repetition. It is available for free for both computers and android devices. Install it on your android phone and revise the Quran whenever you have free time anywhere!

Using Anki is simple. Once you have downloaded the software you just need to create flashcards for what you have memorized. How I do this is that I put a page of the Quran I have memorized into the Back of the Card and the page before that into the Front of the card. Then I enter the phrase "Recite the page which follows" in the Front of the card. Whenever, it is time to review the page, the program shows me the Front of the card and I see the "Review Next Page" command and I try to recall what I have memorized.

An Alternative Method

If you find using software difficult then you can implement spaced repletion manually for what you have memorized. Simply follow this formula. Whenever you memorize a portion of the Quran, review it 1 day after you have memorized it. Then review it after 3 days.

After that take the last interval which in this case is 3 days, divide it by 2, round it up, and then add the result to the previous interval to get the next interval. So in this case the next interval would be 5 days since 3 divided by 2 is 1.5. Round it up and you get 2. Add that to 3 and you get 5.

When you revise on the 5th day then to get the next interval divide 5 by 2 and you get 2.5. Round it up and you get 3. Add that to 5 and you have 8 days which is the next interval.

After eight days to get the next interval divide 8 by 2 and you get 4. Add 4 to 8 and you get 12 days which is the next interval.

Using this method you will Insha Allah never forget the Quran and you will feel no pressure when reviewing.

Note: In case you cannot completely recall what you have memorized don't hesitate to look at what you have missed. With time whatever you have memorized will become a part of long term memory and you will not forget anything!

For detailed instructions on how to use Anki here is the manual for the program
    . There are also other programs you can use for spaced repetition but I found this one to be the best. If you have any questions on how to use the program or spaced repetition simply ask in this thread and I will tyr to answer them!
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 06-07-14, 11:39 PM.
    Watch those eyes

Re: How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

:jkk:

I wil try this inshaAllah.
    “Verily, I constantly renew my Islam until this very day, as up to now, I do not consider myself to have ever been a good Muslim.” Sheikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Narrated by Ibn-al Qayyim in ‘Madarij as-Salikin” 1/218)

Comment

How to use this to review already memorized Quran?

Comment

Well if you put the pages in the program, it will automatically show you the pages you need to review according to the spaced repetition formula. So if you memorized one page today and put it in the program, it will show you the Page when it is time to review the page.

If you have already Memorized the Quran, then you can manually put in the pages or a set of pages. For example, if you review 9 pages, either you can put in the photos of the 9 pages in the program or you can add a sentence in the program which says "Review these 9 pages." Then you can place a reference to the pages after that sentence. When the Program tells you review these 9 pages you can review it.

Hope that answers your question. If it doesn't let me know so I can clarify further.
        Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 06-11-13, 02:25 AM.
        Watch those eyes

Comment

Jazak'Allah Khairan akhi,

Alhumdulillah I have completed my Hifz just this October on 5th.

Let me tell you my status.
          The first 10 juz that i memorized are very easy to recall for me even after 15-20 days (Juz 25-30,15,1-3)
          The 2nd 10 juz that i memorized are medium - like if i review it once then it becomes easy but i need to review it once (within 45m to 1 hour) (Juz 4-13)
          The 3rd 10 Juz are quite weak. It takes me more time to recall over 1 hour for a juz and after 1 get it back when i go through my cycle of 20 days the juz coming back are again weak. (Juz 14,16-24)

What I have been doing is revisin 1/2 Juz from 1st 10 Juz, 1/2 from 2nd 10 and 1/2 from 3rd 10 Juz daily. So 1 1/2 Juz per day.

I have made a schedule using spaced repetition treating the 3rd 10 Juz as New Memorization. (Juz 14,16-24). Please check and suggest changes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-d...it?usp=sharing
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-d...it?usp=sharing

How to put photos of the pages?
          Last edited by nidaelahi; 06-11-13, 10:21 AM.

Comment

According to the way you have inserted the cards, the 17th Juz is being repeated after 19 days. I think you entered in all the cards at once. What I would recommend is that you take Juz 16 to 24 and enter one Juz in the program a day. The program will then ask you to repeat the Juz after 3 or 4 days depending on if you choose easy or good for the Juz. By adding cards in this manner you will allow the program to set up the dates as opposed to you trying to set them up. So add Juz 16 today and then click good or easy. Then add Juz 17 tomorrow and Juz 18 day after and so on.I hope you understand what I mean?

As for photos, if you have scanned pages then you can add them by clicking on the image icon in the program when you are inserting information into the front or back of the card. If you do not have scanned copies of the Quran then you can get the 16 page and 13 page Quran jpgs from the links below.

16 Line Quran
            13 Line Quran
            Watch those eyes

Comment

Jazak'Allah Khairan bro,

Ok I understood... I deleted all the cards... but im starting with 18 (1) today so i'll put this card now .. its due for revision tomo... and ill continue adding daily from 18(2),19(1),19(2)....16(1) and complete the cycle with 17 (2) Insha'Allah.

This program is really awesome i think.. I just reviewed my 16 (1) which usually would come again after entire cycle... I was able to read it within 14 minutes Alhumdulillah.

I think I will go through every Juz of Quran with this method Insha'Allah... After i complete 16-24 i can put them in old revision and do my other Juz...

I understood how to put images.. Jazak'Allah Khairan... Ill just put the first page of every part i read there...

So Ill keep adding new cards daily and it should give me the right schedule :)

Also can you please tell me how to add Arabic text in cards... I want to make a deck for Quranic Terms Vocab too 80% words

Comment

You could type Arabic using the virtual keyboard option that comes with Windows after enabling left to right languages in Control Panel. Or you get take a screenshot of the book if you have the ebook using the Print Screen button on your keyboard and then use paint to cut the words and use them as images. If you need instructions with the keyboard let me know. Also let me know the version of Windows you have. I think there is a Thread in the Sticky Section of the Learn Arabic Forum which tells you how to type Arabic characters. Try it out but if you are still confused then let me know!
                Watch those eyes

Comment

I'm gonna give this software a try.

An excellent thread.

YarhamukAllah akhi.
                  There is rest only in the aakhira.
                  Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.

- Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed (ra) -

If you find yourself in a time where speech is regarded as knowledge,
                  and knowledge is regarded as deeds,
                  then you are in the worst of times, with the worst of people.

- Abu Hazim Al Ashja'i (ra) -

I saw a dog without any clothes on .
                  That's right, a nude dog.
                  The Deepweb is disgusting.
                  - Unknown -

Links
                  The Middle Road - At-Tanzil - Hifz Thread - Muslim Healthy Living
                  Inheritors of Qur'aan

Download Links

Comment

Assalamu alaykum, this seems interesting and I would like to give it a proper try. I've already downloaded Anki; but can you give me a schedule / method of using this programme.. I'm a bit confused, like:

For example,

I have surahs I have memorized before - what to do with them?
                    And when I memorize a new surah - what do I do?

How should I make my deck? I am bit confused, thanks.
                    Allāhu akbar

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
                      You could type Arabic using the virtual keyboard option that comes with Windows after enabling left to right languages in Control Panel. Or you get take a screenshot of the book if you have the ebook using the Print Screen button on your keyboard and then use paint to cut the words and use them as images. If you need instructions with the keyboard let me know. Also let me know the version of Windows you have. I think there is a Thread in the Sticky Section of the Learn Arabic Forum which tells you how to type Arabic characters. Try it out but if you are still confused then let me know!
                      Actually im using an iMac... I'll use the screenshots .. :) wanna increase my vocab in Arabic maybe 5 words a day

Comment

Originally posted by neighbour View Post
                        Assalamu alaykum, this seems interesting and I would like to give it a proper try. I've already downloaded Anki; but can you give me a schedule / method of using this programme.. I'm a bit confused, like:

For example,

I have surahs I have memorized before - what to do with them?
                        And when I memorize a new surah - what do I do?

How should I make my deck? I am bit confused, thanks.

Walykumussalaam,

well you should start by assuming you have nothing memorised.

eg.

Supposing you have Surah Yaseen,Mulk, Sajdah and Dhukkan memorised.

Day 1 - I will create a card of Surah Yaseen and review it then click on Good.
                        Day 2 - Create a card of Mulk and review it that day and click on good.
                        Day 3 - Surah Sajdah
                        Day 4 - Surah Dhukkan.

After these 4 cards are created and assuming you memorized on those days.. The software will now inform you when you have to review the cards.

Comment

Neighbor if the above post by nidaelahi clears your confusion, great. And if not let me know I'll try to guide you through it. I'll have to do it tomorrow since its 10 20 pm and I am totally bombed due to overwork. Additionally, I'll also put up tips on how you can modify the underlying formula Anki uses in case someone has problems with the formula showing cards after too long. I had to lower the formula easy factor for myself since my memory is just horrible!
                          Watch those eyes

Comment

Just ate some food. Has put my mind back in place.

For the Easy Factor here what you need to know. The program actually uses an easy factor of 250% which means basically that you can expect the next time interval to be 2.5% of the previous one. So if your last interval was 5 days, the next would be 5 times 2.5% which roughly 12 or 13 days. Using this Easy Factor you only revise what you put in 3 times a month max and it should go into your long term memory so that when you review it after a month you should have no problem.

However, if you are like me - the genetically mutated specie who can't remember anything when it comes to long term - then perhaps you would like to decrease the Easy Factor to shorten the time interval between reviews and thus increasing the number of reviews. This is only needed if you do not have above average or average memory. Most people do not need to change this. This Easy Factor is based on extensive research and so it suffices the general population.

If you feel the need to change it then you can do so by click on a Deck and then click on the Options button below.. A screen should open up. Look for the field labeled Starting Ease. You can lower the number there from 250 to anywhere between 130. Anything below is useless, will defeat the purpose of the program, cause to malfunction, and is not needed.

Do this only if you think the original formula is spacing your reviews to far.

As for Neighbor who asked about using this program. Please let me know the Surahs you have memorized so that I can better guide you. Thanks!
                            Watch those eyes

Comment

I sent you a PM `akhi, you can put the reply here if you want in case it'll help others

And thank you also nidaelahi for trying to help.
                              Allāhu akbar

Comment

Working...
                              X