X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
    Well, I think I have been using it for more than six months. I deleted my previous deck of cards because I lost my temper at something. And when I lose my temper I do silly things. At that time I had over 100 pages in the program. After deleting them I started over again. I once again have 100 pages which different from the ones I had previously. So you can say I have used this method for 200 pages or close to 1/3 of the Quran I have memorized since the Quran I use has a total of 560 pages.

I should also mention that I used a different program but which also employed spaced repetition to individually review each Verse from the Last 10 Juz for about a month. But it got to the point where I had to revise 200 Verses a day since I was entering individual Verses. And that slowed me down. So I started adding pages instead.

What I have noticed is that even when I review the pages which I had in my previous deck and have not reviewed them for months, I can usually complete a Juz in 1 hour. This is something which I could not do when I used the Traditional Method of Memorization. Using that method it would take me more than half an hour to do 1/4 of a Juz and that is if I had not seen the Juz for only 2 weeks. So, I for one have greatly benefited from this method.

However, it must be noted that spaced repetition works best with information which is small. A page of the Quran is very large. So you might or might not be able to recall it all without looking. But by quick glances I am able to recall everything. I usually read over the page either in my mind or by reciting which takes about one minute and thirty seconds. Then I recall it in the second recitation which takes another one minute and thirty to forty seconds. Sometimes, I might need to recall it a second or third time since my previous recalls were not that great. So usually I end up revising a a page in max 6 minutes as opposed to the 15 to 20 minutes per page without this method.

I remember I was able to recall the first page of وما لي and قال فما خطبكم without looking after a month without any mistakes. So it is obvious that the program has the potential to send a page into your long term memory to such an extent that you do not need to even look at it and can recall it after a month without problem.

Results will differ among individuals. As for your question, well my goal is to have all of the Quran in my memory to such an extent that I can revise one Juz in 1 hour. I can do that thanks first to Allah and then to this program with more than half of the Quran. After I can do it with the rest of the half then I plan on just reviewing a Juz everyday so that one Juz will be repeated after every 30 days.

Finally, I would like to point out that regardless of how good spaced repetition is, we must not forget that the Book of Allah is not like wordy things. The Prophet (PBUH) said:

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْعَلاَءِ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو أُسَامَةَ، عَنْ بُرَيْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي بُرْدَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ تَعَاهَدُوا الْقُرْآنَ فَوَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ لَهُوَ أَشَدُّ تَفَصِّيًا مِنَ الإِبِلِ فِي عُقُلِهَا ‏

The Prophet (PBUH said, "Keep on reciting the Qur'an, for, by Him in Whose Hand my life is, Qur'an runs away (is forgotten) faster than camels that are released from their tying ropes." [Bukhari]

So once you use the program and get to a point where you can easily recall every page of a Juz after 30 days, then you should start revising that Juz each day. Ofcourse to get to that point you will need to revise pages after a period which exceeds one month.

I must also add, that when using the Traditional Method when I looked back at a page which I had memorized it sometimes seemed so new that I thought I had never memorized it. But using this method I have never come across a page which gave me that feeling. Hope that helps!
    Jazak'Allah khairan.

That post really gave better details and shows the outstanding results.

So i should let the gap get to 27-41? Then make it once a month? Should I got through all the juz with spaced rep even my easy ones?

You say to put pages as cards... But I'm using half juz as each card ... Is that fine?

Comment

Asslamun alaikum

e.doce.doc

i hope u understand this...also how do i use my ankiweb..il attached a image of it ..its image number 3...how to add quran pages on the anki web

Comment

Walaykumussalam

Do you mean adding screenshots / the Qur'an pages onto the Anki programme? Easily done, in shaa Allah I'll explain below.

1. Open Anki up

2. Click on your deck

3. Click 'Add'

4. Write something like 'Revising So-so" as front and in the back click the small paper clip image towards the right of the screen.

P.S To first acquire an image of the Qur'an page here is what to do:

Go to a website like www.houseofQuran.com

Go to the Surah you want to put in, you'll in shaa Allah see the Arabic so zoom in a bit and take a screenshot with the 'Prt Scrn' button on your keyboard (it should be located to the right of F12)

Press 'Prt Scrn' now go onto paint and paste the image there.

You can crop around so to take the Arabic text and save it and then back to number 4. above you find the image and select that.

Hope what I put is easy to understand in shaa Allah.

Assalamu alaykum.
        Allāhu akbar

Comment

Nutty123 when you added the picture to the front of the card did the picture show up as in the link below

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen6.png
Views:	1
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	10742342
          Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by nidaelahi View Post
            Jazak'Allah khairan.

So i should let the gap get to 27-41? Then make it once a month? Should I got through all the juz with spaced rep even my easy ones?
            You could try 41 days and then let us know how it worked out!

I don't think you should experiment with the Juz which you find easy. Keep reviewing them using the method which made them easy for you.

You say to put pages as cards... But I'm using half juz as each card ... Is that fine?
            That is fine but add the cards slowly. If keep adding fast and consistently then you could end up having to revise 5 juz a day!
            Watch those eyes

Comment

Zeeshanparvez ..yes after following ur instruction that what happend...you then just press add and then close it..dats right isnt it....How would go abt making juz 30 one whole deck instead creating cards individually nd labeling them separately see pic e.doc...
              If u wanna create cards ..you write the what you want to learn on the 'front' where you enter the name and the ans on the 'back'...and then u press add??

Comment

Originally posted by nutty123 View Post
                Zeeshanparvez ..yes after following ur instruction that what happend...you then just press add and then close it..dats right isnt it....How would go abt making juz 30 one whole deck instead creating cards individually nd labeling them separately see pic [ATTACH]59862[/ATTACH]...
                If u wanna create cards ..you write the what you want to learn on the 'front' where you enter the name and the ans on the 'back'...and then u press add??

You can write on the front what it IS your learning.

Example : "Revise / recite Surah Al-Fatiha"

And on the back you can have the screenshot of Surah Al-Fatiha.

When reviewed it should say first "Revise / recite Surah Al-Fatiha"

So when In-shaa Allah you recite Surah Al-Fatiha You can click "Show Answer" see how you did and go on from there.

I hope it makes sense In-shaa Allah.
                Allāhu akbar

Comment

it does make sense ......JazakAllaahu khayran for ur help.....

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
                    You could try 41 days and then let us know how it worked out!

I don't think you should experiment with the Juz which you find easy. Keep reviewing them using the method which made them easy for you.

That is fine but add the cards slowly. If keep adding fast and consistently then you could end up having to revise 5 juz a day!
                    You mean 2 1/2 juz if put 1/2 daily :) which I think I can manage insha'Allah

Comment

You mean 2 1/2 juz if put 1/2 daily :) which I think I can manage insha'Allah
                      Oh yeah darn! I was never good at math!!!
                      Watch those eyes

Comment

Assalaamualykum,

Brother I just updated my Anki for Hifz review and realised that when i select good for the card due on its the 3rd day it now gives a gap of 6 days and not 5 days like u said.

Have a look at the card "18(1)"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-d...it?usp=sharing

What should i do?

Comment

Salam

Mash'Ala good thread but you've mentioned reviewing and revising techniques.

What about memorising techniques that worked for you ? The reason why I ask is because I have an absolutely terrible memory.

Any tips for those starting out but struggle with memorisation ?

Jazakumulah

Comment

Oops wrong thread
                            Last edited by neighbour; 10-11-13, 04:27 PM.
                            Allāhu akbar

Comment

Waleikumussalaam

Mufti Ismail Menk gave me some tips for Hifz :-
                              1) Abstain from sins
                              2) Remove unnecessary things from your life
                              3) Memorize after maghrib so it plays in your mind all night
                              4) Sleep well
                              5) Eat well

Also I used the following method towards the end of my Hifz and found it very effective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzdU0smUwWI

Originally posted by Ra'id View Post
                              Salam

Mash'Ala good thread but you've mentioned reviewing and revising techniques.

What about memorising techniques that worked for you ? The reason why I ask is because I have an absolutely terrible memory.

Any tips for those starting out but struggle with memorisation ?

Jazakumulah

Comment

Assalaamualykum,

Brother I just updated my Anki for Hifz review and realised that when i select good for the card due on its the 3rd day it now gives a gap of 6 days and not 5 days like u said.

Have a look at the card "18(1)"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-d...it?usp=sharing

What should i do?
                                I gave you a very basic breakdown of the formula. The actual formula using a few more parameters when calculating the date so don't worry!
                                Watch those eyes

Comment

Working...
                                X