Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Ayah a Day - Al Masad

:salams
    Alhamdulillah we have again made it to the next surah. Surah al-Masad (the palm fibre).

New people are welcome to join :)
    We will start today with the background of the surah, reason of revelation, fadhaail, etc and tomorrow insha Allah start the 1st ayah
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Re: An Ayah a Day - Al Masad

Abu Lahab, whose real name was Abduluzza ibn Abdulmuttalib, was an uncle
    of the Prophet. He was so nicknamed because of the radiant look he had on
    his face. With his wife Abu Lahab was one of the most unbending foes of
    the Messenger and the ideas he was propagating.

Ibn Ishaq related the report made by Rabiah ibn 'Abbad Ad-Daili who said,

When I was a youngster I once watched with my father Allah's Messenger
    preaching Islam to the Arab tribes saying 'O sons of ... (calling their
    respective names), I am Allah's Messenger sent to order you to submit to
    and worship Him and nothing else beside Him, and to believe in me and
    protect me until I carry out what Allah has entrusted me with.' A cross
    eyed, bright-faced man was behind him, who used to say, after he had
    finished, 'O sons of ... this man wants you to forsake Al-Lat and Al
    Uzza (two prominent idols worshipped by the pagan Arabs) and your allies
    of the jinn, the children of Malik ibn Aqmas and to substitute for them
    these innovations and nonsense he has brought. Do not harken to him, nor
    follow what he preaches.' I asked my father who that man was and he told
    me that it was Abu Lahab, the Prophet's uncle.' (Imam Ahmad and Tabarani
    also had the same version.)

This is but one incident of Abu Lahab's intimidation and ill-will towards
    the Messenger and his call. His wife Arwa, the daughter of Harb Ibn Ummya,
    a sister of Abu Sufyan, gave him unfailing support in his virulent,
    relentless campaign.

Such was the attitude of Abu Lahab towards the Prophet from the very start
    of his Divine mission. Al-Bukhari related, on the authority of 'Ibn Abbas,
    that the Prophet went out to Batha' (a large square in Makka) one day,
    mounted a hill and summoned the people of Quraish. When they came to him
    he addressed them and said,

Were I to tell you that an enemy is drawing near and will attack you
    tomorrow morning or evening, would you believe me? 'Yes,' they replied.
    'So listen to me,' he went on, 'I am warning you of gruesome torment
    (from Allah).' Abu Lahab was there and snapped at him, 'Damn you!' For
    this you have called us?' (Another version goes: 'Abu Lahab stood up
    shaking the dust off his hands and saying, 'Damn you all day long ...')
    Then this surah was revealed.

Another instance was when the Hashimi clan (the Prophet's own clan) decided
    on grounds of tribal loyalties, under the leadership of Abu Talib to
    protect the Prophet despite their rejection of the religion he was
    preaching. Abu Lahab was the only one to take a different stand. He
    joined with the Quraish instead, and was with them in signing the document
    to boycott the Hashimi clan completely and starve them till they gave up
    the Prophet to them.

Abu Lahab also ordered his two sons to renounce the daughters of Muhammad,
    to whom they had been engaged before Muhammad's prophetic assignment, so
    as to burden him with the expenses of their maintenance and welfare.

Thus, Abu Lahab and his wife, Arwa, who was also called Umm Jamil,
    continued to launch their persistent onslaught against the Prophet and
    his message. The fact that they were close neighbours of the Prophet
    made the situation worse still. We are told that Umm Jamil used to
    carry thorns and sharp wood and place them in the Prophet's path (though
    it is thought that the phrase 'the carrier of firewood' in the surah is
    used only metaphorically to indicate her lies and malice about him).

This surah was revealed as a counter-attack against their hostile

In the Shade of the Quran
    compaigns, Allah had taken over the command of the battle.
    ~ Ibn Atallah

<button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post

Were I to tell you that an enemy is drawing near and will attack you
      tomorrow morning or evening, would you believe me? 'Yes,' they replied.
      'So listen to me,' he went on, 'I am warning you of gruesome torment
      (from Allah).' Abu Lahab was there and snapped at him, 'Damn you!' For
      this you have called us?' (Another version goes: 'Abu Lahab stood up
      shaking the dust off his hands and saying, 'Damn you all day long ...')
      Then this surah was revealed.
      the same hadith is mentioned in asbaab an nuzool section on al tafsir here
      just thought its relevant to note that in the Arabic what he (Abu Lahab) said is tabban lak (تَبَّاً لك)
      so this is the same verb thats used in response to this that Allah says: tabbat yadda abee lahabin wa tabb

another narration is that (isnad is on site but i dont think i need to translate and write it all) RasoolAllah :saw: stood up and called all the people (yaa aala ghaalib, yaa aala luayy, yaa aala murrata, yaa aala kilaab, yaa aala qusayy, yaa aala abdi manaaf) then informed them:
      (إِنِّي لا أملكُ لكم من الله شيئاً ولا من الدنيا نصيباً، إِلاَّ أن تقولوا: لا إله إِلا اللهُ )
      He :saw: was warning them that he :saw: cant protect them or intercede with them from Allah at all or help them against the punishment thats with Allah, except by them saying: laa ilaaha ila Allah, thats all he :saw: can do for them (not exact trans, but roughly)

then at this saying, Abu Lahab said "tabban lak - is this what you have gathered us for?" then Allah SWT revealed tabbat yaddaa abee lahabin wa tabb

then a similar narration to the first one which is mentioned in fee thilaal il quraan, it mentions at the start of it that it was after the revelation of "wa andhir asheerataka al aqrabeen" (warn your nearest kinfolk - 26:214) that RasoolAllah :saw: went to tell them this warning.

~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

couldn't get any fadhail from altafsir.com didnt seem to have any mentioned in any of those books :(

here's some more from a random site/blog: here

Who was Abu Lahab?
        Abu Lahab, literally “the father of flame”, was the nickname of Abdul Uzza (meaning; the servant of the idol ‘Uzza), an uncle of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW), and a bitter and fiery opponent of Islam and the Holy Prophet. This nickname, perhaps, was chosen for him, because, ‘lahab’, in Arabic, means ‘a flame of fire’. Ever since Prophet Muhammad (SAW) began to spread Islam, Abu Lahab became his enemy. He used to often cause harm to the Messenger of Allah (SAW) even though the Prophet was his own nephew. When Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was born, Abu Lahab was so happy he went to free a slave. But after Prophet Muhammad (SAW) invited people to worship Allah and leave the idols, he hated him and scorned the religion. Whenever Prophet Muhammad (SAW) went to the market to spread Islam calling the people to worship Allah, Abu Lahab would follow him and shouted, “Verily! He is an apostate and a liar!”
        He made it his business to torment the Holy Prophet; and his wife, Arwah Binti Harb bint Umayyah, also known as Umm Jumail, sister of Abu Sufyan, took pleasure in carrying thorny bushes and strewing them in the sand where she knew that the Holy Prophet was sure to walk barefooted, because of which she is referred to as the bearer of the wood. Abu Lahab used to persuade the people to throw stones at the Holy Prophet, whenever he passed the streets of Makkah, by telling them that he was a mad man. The two hands he used to throw stones at the Holy Prophet are cursed. The two hands of Abu Lahab may also refer to the evil deeds he had sent forth which condemns him to suffer severest punishment till eternity. Neither his wealth nor his supporters will be able to save him from the blazing fire. A week after the battle of Badr, Abu Lahab perished, consumed with grief and his own fiery passions. The angel of death strangled his wife with the rope she used to wear around her neck. On the day of judgement the fire of punishment like a rope of iron strongly twisted will be put on her neck.
        ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

introduction from M Asad trans: here

AL-MASAD (THE TWISTED STRANDS)
          THE HUNDRED-ELEVENTH SURAH
          Total Verses: 5
          MECCA PERIOD
          Introduction

THIS very early suruh- the sixth in the order of revelation - derives its name from its last word. It relates to the bitter hostility always shown to the Prophet's message by his uncle Abu Lahab: a hostility rooted in his inborn arrogance, pride in his great wealth, and a dislike of the idea, propounded by Muhammad, that all human beings are equal before God and will be judged by Him on their merits alone (Ibn Zayd, as quoted by Tabari in his commentary on the first verse of this surah). As reported by several unimpeachable authorities - Bukhari and Muslim among them - the Prophet ascended one day the hillock of As-Safa in Mecca and called together all who could hear him from among his tribe, the Quraysh, When they had assembled, he asked them: "O sons of Abd al-Muttalib! O sons of Fihr! If I were to inform you that enemy warriors are about to fall upon you from behind that hill, would you believe me?" They answered: "Yes, we would." Thereupon he said: "Behold, then, I am here to warn you of the coming of the Last Hour!" At that, Abu Lahab exclaimed: "Was it for this purpose that thou hast summoned us? May thou be doomed!" And shortly afterwards this surahwas revealed.
          ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

from tafseer al kashaaf by az-zumkhashry:

RasoolAllah :saw: said:
            "whoever reads Surah tabbat.. hopes that Allah would not join him and Abu Lahab together in one place/abode."

(its mentioned on the 2nd page @ very end)
            ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

:jkk: sis! Wooooah that's a lot of stuff you did. I shall post something later today insha Allah

Comment

wa iyyaaki
                yeah because last time i didn't do it properly so i wnted to do this one a bit better :p insha Allah i can keep it up
                ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

from tafseer al kashaaf by az-zumkhashry:

RasoolAllah :saw: said:
                  "Whoever reads Surah tabbat, I hope that Allah would not join him and Abu Lahab together in one place/abode."

(its mentioned on the 2nd page @ very end)
                  :up:
                  "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
                  (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

For example, the Prophet (SAW) had an uncle by the name of Abu Lahab. This man hated Islam to such an extent that he used to follow the Prophet around in order to discredit him. If Abu Lahab saw the Prophet (SAW) speaking to a stranger, he would wait until they parted and then would go to the stranger and ask him, "What did he tell you? Did he say, 'Black.'? Well, it's white. Did he say, 'Morning.'? Well, it's night." He faithfully said the exact opposite of whatever he heard Muhammad (SAW) and the Muslims say. However, about ten years before Abu Lahab died, a little chapter in the Qur'an was revealed to him. It distinctly stated that he would go to the Fire (i.e., Hell). In other words, it affirmed that he would never become a Muslim and would therefore be condemned forever. For ten years all Abu Lahab had to do was say, "I heard that it has been revealed to Muhammad that I will never change - that I will never become a Muslim and will enter the Hellfire. Well I want to become a Muslim now. How do you like that? What do you think of your divine revelation now?" But he never did that. And yet, that is exactly the kind of behavior one would have expected from him since he always sought to contradict Islam. In essence, Muhammad (SAW) said, "You hate me and you want to finish me? Here, say these words, and I am finished. Come on, say them!" But Abu Lahab never said them. Ten years! And in all that time he never accepted Islam or even became sympathetic to the Islamic cause. How could Muhammad possibly have known for sure that Abu Lahab would fulfill the Qur'anic revelation if he (i.e., Muhammad) was not truly the messenger of Allah? How could he possibly have been so confident as to give someone 10 years to discredit his claim of Prophethood? The only answer is that he was Allah's messenger; for in order to put forth suck a risky challenge, one has to be entirely convinced that he has a divine revelation.
                    From The Amazing Quran by Gary Miller.

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

:jkk: for post and for correction :up:
                      ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

THIS very early suruh- the sixth in the order of revelation - derives its name from its last word. It relates to the bitter hostility always shown to the Prophet's message by his uncle Abu Lahab: a hostility rooted in his inborn arrogance, pride in his great wealth, and a dislike of the idea, propounded by Muhammad, that all human beings are equal before God and will be judged by Him on their merits alone (Ibn Zayd, as quoted by Tabari in his commentary on the first verse of this surah). As reported by several unimpeachable authorities - Bukhari and Muslim among them - the Prophet ascended one day the hillock of As-Safa in Mecca and called together all who could hear him from among his tribe, the Quraysh, When they had assembled, he asked them: "O sons of Abd al-Muttalib! O sons of Fihr! If I were to inform you that enemy warriors are about to fall upon you from behind that hill, would you believe me?" They answered: "Yes, we would." Thereupon he said: "Behold, then, I am here to warn you of the coming of the Last Hour!" At that, Abu Lahab exclaimed: "Was it for this purpose that thou hast summoned us? May thou be doomed!" And shortly afterwards this surahwas revealed.
                        Imam al-Qurtubi mentions this same narration, with the wording as related in Muslim. He then says that al-Humaidi and others add the following:

"When his wife heard what had been revealed about her husband and herself in the Qur'an, she came to the Messenger of Allah :saw: while he was sitting in the masjid near the Ka'bah, and with him was Abu Bakr radiyallahu 'anhu. In her hand was a stone the size of a palm [fihr]. When she stopped by him Allah took her vision away from the Messenger of Allah :saw: so that she did not see except Abu Bakr. She said, 'Abu Bakr, your companion has conveyed to me that he has satirized / mocked [yahjoo] me. By Allah, if I were to find him I would hit his mouth with this stone. By Allah, indeed I am a poetess: 'Mudhammaman 'asainaa wamruhu abainaa wa deenuhu qalainaa.' Then she left. So Abu Bakr said, 'O Messenger of Allah, you certainly saw her. Did she see you?' He replied, 'She did not see me. Indeed, Allah took her vision away from me.'"

The Quraish used to name the Messenger of Allah :saw: mudhammaman (very blameworthy), insulting him. But he used to say, 'Aren't you amazed at what Allah has averted from me of the harm [adhaa] of the Quraish? They insult and mock mudhammaman while I a am Muhammad (praiseworthy).'

And it is said that the reason for its revelation was what was related by 'Abd al-Rahman bin Zaid that Abu Lahab came to the Prophet :saw: and said, "What will you give (me) if I believe in you, O Muhammad?" He replied, "The same as what is given to the (other) Muslims." He said, "Isn't there any superiority for me over them?" He replied, "What thing do you seek?" He said, "Perished [tabban] be this religion [deen], that I and these should be the same." So Allah revealed about him, "Tabbat yadaa Abee Lahabiw wa tabb."

A third view is related from 'Abd al-Rahman bin Kaisan who said, "Whenever a delegation used to come to see the Prophet :saw:, Abu Lahab would go out to them. So they would ask him about the Messenger of Allah :saw: and would say to him, 'You know more about him than we do.' So Abu Lahab would reply to them, 'Indeed, he is a great liar [kadh-dhaab], a sorceror [saahir].' So they would turn away from him (i.e. the Prophet :saw:) and not meet him. Another delegation came and he did the same with them. They said, 'We will not leave until we see him and hear his speech.' Abu Lahab said to them, 'We will never stop working against him so perished [tabban] be he and wretched [ta'san] be he.'" So the Messenger of Allah :saw: was informed about that and he was dejected / worried [ikta'abba] because of it. Then Allah ta'ala revealed the surah, "Tabbat yadaa Abee Lahab..."

And it is said: Abu Lahab intended to stone the Prophet :saw: with a stone but Allah prevented him from that and revealed, "Tabbat yadaa Abee Lahabiw wa tabb" because of what he had been prevented from doing.

(al-Jami' li Ahkam al-Qur'an)

Comment

:jkk:

today we can start with the 1st ayah insha Allah
                          ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

In the shade of the Quran:
                            (this is for the whole surah as not seperated to ayahs)

May the hands of Abu Lahab perish, doomed he is.

The Arabic term rendered here as 'perish ' also signifies failure and
                            cutting off. The term is used twice in two different senses. It is used
                            first as an appeal, while in the second occurence it implies the granting
                            of the appeal and its fulfillment. So, in one short verse, an action is
                            realised which draws the curtains upon a scene of a completed battle.
                            What later follows is merely a description of what took place with the
                            remark that 'his wealth and his gains shall not avail him.' He can have
                            no escape. He is defeated, vanquished and damned. That was his fate in
                            this world, but in the Hereafter 'he shall be plunged in a flaming fire.'
                            And his wife, the wood-carrier, will reside there with him having around
                            her neck a rope of palm-fibre with which, as it were, she is being dragged
                            into Hell; or which she used for fastening wood bundles together, according
                            to whether a literal or metaphorical interpretation of the text is adopted.

The language of this surah achieves a remarkable degree of beautiful
                            harmony between the subject matter and the atmosphere built around it. Abu
                            Lahab will be plunged into a fire with 'Lahab', which is the Arabic word
                            for flames of fire; and his wife who carries the wood, a fuel, will be met
                            with the same fire with a palm-fibre rope around her neck. 'Jahannam' or
                            Jehanna with fiercely burning 'Lahab' will be inhabited by Abu Lahab. And
                            his wife, who wraps up thorns and sharp woods, materials which,
                            significantly, can increase the blaze of a fire, and puts them in the
                            Prophet's way, will be subsequently dragged to Hell with a rope tied to
                            her neck, bundled like firewood. How perfect is the matching between the
                            words and the pictures; the punishment is presented as of the same nature
                            as the deed - wood, ropes, fire and Lahab!

Phonetically, the words are arranged in a way which provides a wonderful
                            harmony between the sounds made by the pulling of the wood and the neck by
                            ropes. Read in Arabic, the verse, ' Tabbat yada abi Lahabin watab, ' makes
                            one feel a kind of hard sharp pull, analogous to that of bundles of wood
                            or of dragging an unwilling person by the neck into a wild fire; all is in
                            phase with the fury and the violent, bellicose tone that goes with the
                            theme of the surah. Thus, in five short verses of one of the shortest
                            surahs of the Qur'an, the vocal melodies click neatly with the actual
                            movements of the scene portrayed.

This extremely rich and brilliant style led Umm Jamil to claim that the
                            Prophet was in fact 'satirizing' her and her husband. The arrogant and
                            vain Arab woman could not get over being referred to with such a
                            humiliating phrase as 'the carrier of firewood,' who 'shall have a rope
                            of palm-,fibre round her neck. ' Her rage grew wilder when the surah
                            became popular among the Arab tribes who esteemed such a literary style!

Ibn Ishaq related:

'Umm Jamil, I was told, having heard what the Qur'an said about her
                            and her husband, came to the Prophet who was with Abu Bakr at the
                            Ka'aba. She was carrying a handful of stones. Allah took her sight
                            away from the Prophet and she saw only Abu Bakr to whom she said,
                            'Where is your comrade? I have heard that he has been satirizing
                            me. Were I to find him, I would throw these stones right into his
                            face. 1, too, am gifted in poetry.' Then she said before leaving:
                            'The contemptible we obey not! Nor what he says shall we accept!'

'Abu Bakr turned around to the Prophet and said, 'Do you think that
                            she saw you?' 'No,' replied the Prophet, 'Allah made her unable
                            to see me.'

Al-Hafiz Abu Bakr Al-Bazar also related, on the authority of Ibn Abbas,
                            that when this surah was revealed Abu Lahab's wife sought the Prophet.
                            While he was with Abu Bakr she appeared and Abu Bakr suggested, 'She will
                            not harm you if you hide yourself away!' 'Don't worry,' said the Prophet
                            in a soothing manner. 'She will not see me.' She came to Abu Bakr and
                            said, 'Your friend has lampooned us!' 'By the Lord of this Ka'aba, he
                            has not,' Abu Bakr assured her. 'He is no poet and what he says is not
                            poetry,' he added. She said, 'I believe you,' and then left. Abu Bakr
                            then enquired from the Prophet whether she had seen him and he said, 'No,
                            an angel was shielding me all the time she was here.' So much was her
                            fury and her indignation at what she thought was poetry and which Abu
                            Bakr rightly refuted.

Thus, the humiliating picture of Abu Lahab and his wife has been recorded
                            to last forever in this eternal book, the Qur'an, to show Allah's anger
                            with them for their animosity to His Messenger and the ideas he was
                            advocating. All those who choose to take a similar attitude towards
                            Islam, therefore, shall meet with the same disgrace calamity and
                            frustration, both in this life and in the Hereafter, as fitting punishment
                            and reward!
                            ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

tafheem ul quran

(111:1) Destroyed were the hands of Abu Lahab, and he lay utterly doomed.

*1 His real name was 'Abd al-'Uzza, and he was called Abu Lahab on account of his glowing, ruddy complexion. Lahab means the flame of fire, and Abu Lahab the one with a flaming, fiery face. His being mentioned here by his nickname (Kunyat), instead of his real name, has several reasons. First, that he was better known by his nickname than by his real name; second, that the Qur'an did not approve that he should be mentioned by his polytheistic name `Abd al 'Uzza (slave of 'Uzza); third, that his kunyat goes well with the fate that has been described of him in this Surah.

Some commentators have translated tabbat yada Abi Lahab to mean: "May the hands of Abu Lahab be broken", and tabb to mean: °may he perish" or "he perished". But this, in fact, was not a curse which was invoked on him, but a prophecy in which an event taking place in the future, has been described in the past tense, to suggest that its occurrence in the future is certain and inevitable.

In actual fact, at last the same thing happened as had been foretold in this Surah a few years earlier. Breaking of the hands obviously does not imply breaking of the physical hands, but a person's utterly failing in his aim and object for which he has exerted his utmost. And Abu Lahab indeed had exerted his utmost to defeat and frustrate the message of lslam presented by the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace). But hardly seven or eight years after the revelation of this Surah most of the big chiefs of Quraish, who were a party with Abu Lahab in his hostility to Islam, were killed in the Battle of Badr. When the news of the defeat reached Makkah, he was so shocked that he could not survive for more than seven days. His death occurred in a pitiabie state. He became afflicted with malignant pustule and the people of his house left him to himself, fearing contagion. No one came near his body for three days after his death, until the body decomposed and began to stink. At last, when the people began to taunt his sons, according to one tradition, they hired some negroes, who lifted his body and buried it. According to another tradition, they got a pit dug out and threw his body into it by pushing it with wood, and covered it up with earth and stones. His utter failure became manifest when the religion which he had tried his utmost to impede and thwart, was accepted by his own children. First of all, his daughter, Darrah, migrated from Makkah to Madinah and embraced lslam; then on the conquest of Makkah, both his sons, `Utabh and Mu`attab, came before the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) through the mediation of Hadrat `Abbas, believed and took oath of allegiance to him
                              ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

Working...
                              X