Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning Sarf - Arabic Morphology

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Learning Sarf - Arabic Morphology

    I am desi with no Arabic background. This year I was inspired to learn Arabic and signed up for Arabic class at local Islamic institution. I am learning sarf now and all I managed to learn in last 2 months is how to change a 3 letter verb from its basic form to a verb with pronounce. But I have to think about it, its not memorized. I can write it down but harder for me to catch when listening

    Any tips you have on how to I can succeed in learning sarf and eventually learning Arabic. Next semester we will learn Nawh.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Kya View Post
    I am desi with no Arabic background. This year I was inspired to learn Arabic and signed up for Arabic class at local Islamic institution. I am learning sarf now and all I managed to learn in last 2 months is how to change a 3 letter verb from its basic form to a verb with pronounce. But I have to think about it, its not memorized. I can write it down but harder for me to catch when listening

    Any tips you have on how to I can succeed in learning sarf and eventually learning Arabic. Next semester we will learn Nawh.
    Alhamdulillah. 
    The advice our teachers gave when learning sarf was to repeat as often as possible, whenever we had a bit of free time, even moments in between different things... It'll become second nature, inshaa'Allah the more they are repeated and the more different texts are covered.

    Don't give up if it starts to feel like a bit of a slog or starts to feel trickier than expected. 

    I think there are quite a few brothers and sisters on here currently learning Arabic as well... 

    Br eesa the kiwi br Kiro br Abu julaybeeb sr @indefinable... Maybe you guys could all help and encourage one another...
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
    -------------------------------------

    ​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

    Comment


    • #3
      Ive been doing more nahu
      ive done little sarf

      but what helps is memorising the different forma of verbs

      for example with fi3l maadhi theres 14 possible verb forms

      then memorising the 14 forms of fi3l ma3roof

      then amr and nahi and so on

      if you memorise the basic root form it will be easier to learn and use the verbs

      im still perfecting memorisation of these
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        Good memories... We used to sit as a class in a large circle and have everyone say one, then the next person say the next one, and so on, taster and faster going around the circle... You had to keep up or would break or hold up the flow. Used to filter out the slackers from the ones who were putting in a bit of effort at home :p.

        Some of the forms towards the end would get quite tricky...

        Thankfully the mawlana Sahb would always keep things light and enjoyable. Alhamdulillah, may Allah Ta'aalaa have mercy on him. He was a very nice person and a good teacher.
        ¬¬†
        LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
        -------------------------------------

        ​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

        Comment


        • #5
          So I have to memorize. So far I have been focusing on logic & visualization on filling out the chart. I am pretty good at writing down 14 forms of a verb but I won't be able to recite it easily.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kya View Post
            So I have to memorize. So far I have been focusing on logic & visualization on filling out the chart. I am pretty good at writing down 14 forms of a verb but I won't be able to recite it easily.
            I never had to memorize anything really when it came to morphology because I just let it come to me naturally and that was how my Arabic course was designed.. 
            https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

            Ephemeral reader

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kya View Post
              I am desi with no Arabic background. This year I was inspired to learn Arabic and signed up for Arabic class at local Islamic institution. I am learning sarf now and all I managed to learn in last 2 months is how to change a 3 letter verb from its basic form to a verb with pronounce. But I have to think about it, its not memorized. I can write it down but harder for me to catch when listening

              Any tips you have on how to I can succeed in learning sarf and eventually learning Arabic. Next semester we will learn Nawh.
              I do not really recommend focusing on morphology in the beginning, focus on a bit of nahu at the beginning and slowly build your vocabulary like "how", "to," off", on" etc. that is my personal advice. 


              https://ia800700.us.archive.org/31/i...lish%20Key.pdf

              This is the Madinah Book series. It is easy peasy. 

              Also some surahs I recommend are Surah Kaafirun, Surah Ikhlas, Surah Lahab/Masad. Surah Qadr and Surah Bayyinah. 
              https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

              Ephemeral reader

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kiro View Post

                I do not really recommend focusing on morphology in the beginning, focus on a bit of nahu at the beginning and slowly build your vocabulary like "how", "to," off", on" etc. that is my personal advice.¬


                https://ia800700.us.archive.org/31/i...lish%20Key.pdf

                This is the Madinah Book series. It is easy peasy.¬

                Also some surahs I recommend are Surah Kaafirun, Surah Ikhlas, Surah Lahab/Masad. Surah Qadr and Surah Bayyinah.¬
                The class I signed up for use to teach sarf and nahu same semester but it was too much for their students. all the students were young professionals or college students who was taking this for "fun' instead of serious class & the Arabic portion was too much too fast. That most students dropped out, including my brother. Now they decided to split the 2 and teach it different semester. The Shaykh is asking for feedback on how to design the class in future. Maybe I will recommend adding some nahu in first semester.

                JZK for the text book you shared. I like it already & I only read 1 page :D
                May allah grant us all knowledge and understanding

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just wanted to give update as my first semester in sarf is almost over. We won't have finals because our midterm was last month & IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII got very good grade. I don't know how, I did study but I pulled one of the top score. Of course I forgot everything after the exam and have to restudy because I got burned out from midterm. But I am super excited and will continue on with the class because I am a nerd and I love good grades.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X