The sentence Game - For beginners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sentence Game - For beginners

Thread is in connection with the word translation thread, where beginners can use the arabic words from the word translation thread to make sentences in this thread.

I'll start:

Ana dhahaba ila al dukkan - I went to the shop.
    Please Re-update your Signature

(not a beginner but I'll play anyway and anyone can feel free to correct my arabic because I may not be a beginner but I'm nowhere near an expert!!)

ashteratu kilo al mawz wa lakin hiya mush jayyida :(
    I bought a kilo of bananas but they were not good :(
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin's-Finest
      Thread is in connection with the word translation thread, where beginners can use the arabic words from the word translation thread to make sentences in this thread.

I'll start:

Ana dhahaba ila al dukkan - I went to the shop.
      you don't need ana in a sentence like this, because if you use the first person past of dhahaba ( you have the 3rd person past, what you are saying is "I he went to the shop" ) - dhahabtu - this actually is "I went" even though its just one word...

you say "dhahabtu ila al dukkan"

dhahabtu = I went
      dhahabta = you went (speaking to a male)
      dhahabti = you went (speaking to a female)
      dhahaba = he went
      dhahabat = she went

also ila and al get squished together when you speak so you say it like "ilal" and as d is a sun letter you don't say the L either so it sounds like "iladdukkan"

keep practicing the vocab though :up: do you have someone to help you with pronunciation?
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya
        you don't need ana in a sentence like this, because if you use the first person past of dhahaba ( you have the 3rd person past, what you are saying is "I he went to the shop" ) - dhahabtu - this actually is "I went" even though its just one word...

you say "dhahabtu ila al dukkan"

dhahabtu = I went
        dhahabta = you went (speaking to a male)
        dhahabti = you went (speaking to a female)
        dhahaba = he went
        dhahabat = she went

also ila and al get squished together when you speak so you say it like "ilal" and as d is a sun letter you don't say the L either so it sounds like "iladdukkan"

keep practicing the vocab though :up: do you have someone to help you with pronunciation?
        Jazak'Allah sis.

Nope, don't have anyone to help me with my pronunciation.

dhahabtu Madrassa - I went Madrassa (yeh?)

Malakatu (?) dukkan - I own a Madrassa

Comment

dhahabtu ila al madrasa = I went to the school
          dhahabtu ila madrasa = I went to a school

dh is pronounced like the th in this, that and the

dhahabtu is pronounced like "the hab 2" (said alltogether without gaps and in standard british English)

dhakiyya is pronounced like "the keeya" :up: (standard british english)

madrassa is prounounced like madras (the city and the curry) + a on the end

malaktu is in past tense so would be owned rather than own. I own would be (I think) amlak or thereabouts (dunno if malaka is the best word for "to own" I think its quite archaic????? anna would know....)
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

firstly, as dhakiyya explained when you take a verb (doing word) you had to change the ending according to who did the action, so you have to say

dhahabtu = I went

when you use the word dhahaba, you have to follow it with " ila" so it becomes I went TO the shop.

as for I own... you dont use the verb malaka. That is the actual word to mean "own" but in Arabic you say "lee" then the item you own, it is a different structure than english. Literally it is like "for me is a car" :S

eg....

lee sayyara
            lee bayt
            lee ukht

etc

dhakiyya as 4 you... ur sentence should be

ishteraytu kilo mawz wa lakinnahu lam yakun jayyidan

hav 2 admit i am not sure of the gender of mawz, because it is a collective noun :S which in meaning is like plural... but in grammar i dnt know?? so if it is treated feminine from being plural, then lakinnahaa lam takun, but still u see the main changes i did :p
            .: Rufaida :.
            .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
            http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
            “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
            but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
            ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
            <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Woah, this is much harder than I expected!

lee qitta wa wahid fa'r - I own a Cat and one mouse

3andhi haasoob - I have a Computer

3andhu faqt wahid khuroof - He has only one sheep

Comment

wow aint seen u about in ages shaolin ! dunno how to say that in arabic tho lol ... i'll say sumin so i dont go too off topic...

~iny jaa'iyah~
                ~i am hungry ~ lol
                Abu Huraira (ra) narrated that the messenger of Allah (saw) said 'Beware of suspicion, for suspicion is the worst of false tales; and do not look at the faults of others, and do not indulge in spying on one another..do not be jealous of one another and do not hate one another, O Allah's worshippers! Be brothers' (Sahih Bukhari)

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin's-Finest
                  Woah, this is much harder than I expected!

lee qitta wa wahid fa'r - I own a Cat and one mouse

3andhi haasoob - I have a Computer

3andhu faqt wahid khuroof - He has only one sheep
                  you would say fa'r wahid (for some reason "one" comes after the noun but other numbers don't)

likewise it would be khuroof wahid and faqt usually comes at the end, but I don't think you need it in this sentence because wahid implies only one.... and I think you would say 3andhu khuroof faqt meaning only one (cause if it was two sheep it would be khuroofayn and more than two it would be a plural but @ arabic plurals because they're nearly all irregular)

Anna can say which phrase would be best for this, or whether "khuruuf waahid faqt" is okay after all :)
                  [CENTER]
                  [/CENTER]
                  [CENTER]
                  [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                  [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

it is ok to say khuroof waahid faqat, but this is only if you are emphasising the fact that he has ONLY ONE, if u just mean it like "he has one sheep, as is "a sheep" it suffices to say khuroof and that will mean "one sheep"
                    .: Anna :.

Comment

shukran jazeelan lik :love: for the corrections (dunno how to say that in Arabic...)
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

i think taSHeeHaat?
                        ~ Ibn Atallah

<button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

ta saad HA ya HA alif ta?
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

aywa
                            ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

mumtaz :up:

waan Shaolin??
                              [CENTER]
                              [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER]
                              [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                              [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X