Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

    Peace all,

    I find "brother or sister (only on mother's side)" translation for 'akhun aw 'ukhtun phrase in Quran 4:11 of Pickthal translation and also in Indonesian one.


    وَلَكُمْ نِصْفُ مَا تَرَكَ أَزْوَاجُكُمْ إِن لَّمْ يَكُن لَّهُنَّ وَلَدٌ ۚ فَإِن كَانَ لَهُنَّ وَلَدٌ فَلَكُمُ الرُّبُعُ مِمَّا تَرَكْنَ ۚ مِن بَعْدِ وَصِيَّةٍ يُوصِينَ بِهَا أَوْ دَيْنٍ ۚ وَلَهُنَّ الرُّبُعُ مِمَّا تَرَكْتُمْ إِن لَّمْ يَكُن لَّكُمْ وَلَدٌ ۚ فَإِن كَانَ لَكُمْ وَلَدٌ فَلَهُنَّ الثُّمُنُ مِمَّا تَرَكْتُم ۚ مِّن بَعْدِ وَصِيَّةٍ تُوصُونَ بِهَا أَوْ دَيْنٍ ۗ وَإِن كَانَ رَجُلٌ يُورَثُ كَلَالَةً أَوِ امْرَأَةٌ وَلَهُ أَخٌ أَوْ أُخْتٌ فَلِكُلِّ وَاحِدٍ مِّنْهُمَا السُّدُسُ ۚ فَإِن كَانُوا أَكْثَرَ مِن ذَٰلِكَ فَهُمْ شُرَكَاءُ فِي الثُّلُثِ ۚ مِن بَعْدِ وَصِيَّةٍ يُوصَىٰ بِهَا أَوْ دَيْنٍ غَيْرَ مُضَارٍّ ۚ وَصِيَّةً مِّنَ اللَّهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ حَلِيمٌ

    Even though the phrase "only on mother's side" is put in parenthesis, I curious are there any specific terms use in Arabic for brother or sister who is only on mother's side/ only on father's side/ both side? or there is a same term for all?
    Last edited by akuaza; 29-12-16, 01:03 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

    Originally posted by akuaza View Post
    Peace all,

    I find "brother or sister (only on mother's side)" translation for 'akhun aw 'ukhtun phrase in Quran 4:11 of Pickthal translation and also in Indonesian one.


    وَلَكُمْ نِصْفُ مَا تَرَكَ أَزْوَاجُكُمْ إِن لَّمْ يَكُن لَّهُنَّ وَلَدٌ ۚ فَإِن كَانَ لَهُنَّ وَلَدٌ فَلَكُمُ الرُّبُعُ مِمَّا تَرَكْنَ ۚ مِن بَعْدِ وَصِيَّةٍ يُوصِينَ بِهَا أَوْ دَيْنٍ ۚ وَلَهُنَّ الرُّبُعُ مِمَّا تَرَكْتُمْ إِن لَّمْ يَكُن لَّكُمْ وَلَدٌ ۚ فَإِن كَانَ لَكُمْ وَلَدٌ فَلَهُنَّ الثُّمُنُ مِمَّا تَرَكْتُم ۚ مِّن بَعْدِ وَصِيَّةٍ تُوصُونَ بِهَا أَوْ دَيْنٍ ۗ وَإِن كَانَ رَجُلٌ يُورَثُ كَلَالَةً أَوِ امْرَأَةٌ وَلَهُ أَخٌ أَوْ أُخْتٌ فَلِكُلِّ وَاحِدٍ مِّنْهُمَا السُّدُسُ ۚ فَإِن كَانُوا أَكْثَرَ مِن ذَٰلِكَ فَهُمْ شُرَكَاءُ فِي الثُّلُثِ ۚ مِن بَعْدِ وَصِيَّةٍ يُوصَىٰ بِهَا أَوْ دَيْنٍ غَيْرَ مُضَارٍّ ۚ وَصِيَّةً مِّنَ اللَّهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ حَلِيمٌ

    Even though the phrase "only on mother's side" is put in parenthesis, I curious are there any specific terms use in Arabic for brother or sister who is only on mother's side/ only on father's side/ both side? or it is a same term for all?
    In Arabic, brother/sisters of mother is called

    خال and خالة "khal and khala" male/female respectively

    For fathers side is called

    عّم and عمّة

    So 3mm and 3mma male/female respectively.
    Last edited by Sarah5; 29-12-16, 01:06 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

      Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
      In Arabic, brother/sisters of mother is called

      خال and خالة "khal and khala" male/female respectively

      For fathers side is called

      عّم and عمّة

      So 3mm and 3mma male/female respectively.
      Thank you for your explanation sister, but I think you misunderstood my question. What you try to explain is "uncle and aunt" right? What I wanted to know is differentiation (if any) in Arabic term between: my bro/sist who has same father and mother with me, my bro/sist who has same father with me but has different mother (let's say my father has two wives), and my bro/sist who has same mother with me but has different father (let's say my mom marry twice).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

        :wswrwb:

        The terms for full brother/sister respectively:

        أخ شقيق

        أخت شقيقة


        Term for half brother/sister respectively:

        أخ غير شقيق

        أخت غير شقيقة


        Where half brothers/sisters are those who share a single parent only.

        Plural forms for full siblings:

        أشقاء

        Plural form for half siblings:

        غير أشقاء
        والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

        "Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

          Originally posted by علي View Post
          :wswrwb:

          The terms for full brother/sister respectively:

          أخ شقيق

          أخت شقيقة


          Term for half brother/sister respectively:

          أخ غير شقيق

          أخت غير شقيقة


          Where half brothers/sisters are those who share a single parent only.

          Plural forms for full siblings:

          أشقاء

          Plural form for half siblings:

          غير أشقاء
          So أَخٌ أَوْ أُخْتٌ on 4:11 above should be simply translated to "brother and sister" since that term doesn't indicates any specific condition (both side/ only on mother's side/ only on father's side)? In other words, "only on mother's side" phrase on translation above is pure translator's opinion and not part of the real meaning of the word right?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

            This term is vital to be clarified because it will determine the right decision in law of inheritance. Most of Quran translations don't add additional "(only on the mother's side)" though.

            Pickthal: And unto you belongeth a half of that which your wives leave, if they have no child; but if they have a child then unto you the fourth of that which they leave, after any legacy they may have bequeathed, or debt (they may have contracted, hath been paid). And unto them belongeth the fourth of that which ye leave if ye have no child, but if ye have a child then the eighth of that which ye leave, after any legacy ye may have bequeathed, or debt (ye may have contracted, hath been paid). And if a man or a woman have a distant heir (having left neither parent nor child), and he (or she) have a brother or a sister (only on the mother's side) then to each of them twain (the brother and the sister) the sixth, and if they be more than two, then they shall be sharers in the third, after any legacy that may have been bequeathed or debt (contracted) not injuring (the heirs by willing away more than a third of the heritage) hath been paid. A commandment from Allah. Allah is Knower, Indulgent.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

              Originally posted by akuaza View Post
              So أَخٌ أَوْ أُخْتٌ on 4:11 above should be simply translated to "brother and sister" since that term doesn't indicates any specific condition (both side/ only on mother's side/ only on father's side)? In other words, "only on mother's side" phrase on translation above is pure translator's opinion and not part of the real meaning of the word right?
              Oh I can't say, as brother/sister can potentially include half siblings as well, although I would agree that these words used alone do not typically refer to half siblings specifically.

              Still, for rulings with regards to these matters, a scholar should be consulted or at the very least tafasir, not just a translation. You can see tafsir Ibn Kathir for more info:

              http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...=707&Itemid=59

              Might have to flip a few pages before the exact part of the aayah shows up though as it is addressed part by part usually.
              والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

              "Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

                Originally posted by علي View Post
                although I would agree that these words used alone do not typically refer to half siblings specifically.
                That's all I need actually :)
                Thank you Ali

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is sibling who only on mother's side has different term in Arabic?

                  Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
                  In Arabic, brother/sisters of mother is called

                  خال and خالة "khal and khala" male/female respectively

                  For fathers side is called

                  عّم and عمّة

                  So 3mm and 3mma male/female respectively.
                  That's one of the more difficult words to get my head around because amma in bengali means mum but in arabic it refers to the fathers side
                  [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
                  [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

                  [B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X