X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheeky
    replied
    Originally posted by slmz :)
    grammmar.......nahw....... gosh i learn that at my arabic school.... i really like that subj. im goood at it!!!! 4 once! lol
    who's ur teacher?...ma dad teaches ur sis...does he teach u too? i hate nahw..i enjoyed sarf tho.

Leave a comment:

• Khuzamah
    replied
    Originally posted by slmz :)
    grammmar.......nahw....... gosh i learn that at my arabic school.... i really like that subj. im goood at it!!!! 4 once! lol
    i like it too :D i think it makes better sence than english grammar :p

Leave a comment:

• slmz :)
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Khuzamah
    replied
    simple explanation of case endings available here : http://ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48408

Leave a comment:

• Khuzamah
    replied
    Negatives

I was looking through the old posts in th forum, and I found one where we were all asking about the different negatives, we didnt understand where to use the different ones etc but now I think they're not really so bad so this is my summary of negatives :D

present tense

the present tense negater is لا. it comes before the verb which you want to negate, which should be in imperfect indicitive (ie the "usual" imperfect, "laa" had no effect on the verb apart from negating its meaning)

examples

لا يَكْتُبُ المدّرسُ
    the teacher is not writing
    يَكْتُبُ المدّرسُ
    the teacher is writing

past tense

1.) the easiest past negator to use is ما which should be placed infront of the verb in the perfect (past) tense. This also has no effect on the verb apart from negating meaning.

ما ذَهَبَ الولدُ

the boy did not go

ذَهَبَ الولدُ

the boy went

It is occasionally also used to negate a present tense sentence

ما يَشْرَبُ

2.) the other way of negating past is with لم
    this comes infront of an imperfect jussive verb (مجزوم) which is formed by ending the verb with sukoon and if there is any long vowel in the verb it will be removed. if the verb had an "ending" eg in 2nd person feminine, the noon will be removed.

examples

لم يَكْتُبْ

he didnt write

لم تذْهَبي

you (female) didnt go

لم يَكُنْ

he wasnt

يَكْتُبُ
    he writes

تذبَبينَ
    you (f) go

يَكونُ

he is

future tense

لن is used, this comes before a verb in the subjunctive. this is like the normal imperfect only instead of ending with dhamma on the last letter, it will be fatha. also, when the verb has an "ending" like you female, the noon is removed like in the jussive.

examples

لن يَأْكُلَ
    he will not eat

يَأْكُلُ
    he eats.

I will be coming back later for negating nominal sentences and asking negative questions, its too much typing for now

Leave a comment:

• Qassami
    replied
    Yep, that was the problem.. I was actually trying to pronounce it, and it did sound strange.

baraka Allahu feekee

Leave a comment:

• Khuzamah
    replied
    Originally posted by Qassami
    فى كتابِ الطالبِ الجديدِ

in the book of the new student

But the kasra under the dhal shouldn't be there - I think, but I might be wrong.. lol .. need to get he opnion of the fusah speaking peeps.. since 3amaa (slang) peeps like me, are poor with gramar.

But mashaa Allah, you have a sound grasp of Arabic grammar... this might just encourage me into typing in Arabic.
    the kasra on the final dal of al-jadeed? yes it should be there :p lol... i know if you go around pronouncing it you will seem a weirdo but as far as grammar goes if you're writing the "full vocalistion" (my uni makes us do this for first year students) then you'll have to write it! theres no question of putting dhamma or fatha instead cos everything in the sentence is in genetive...

Leave a comment:

• Khuzamah
    replied
    POSITIONING OF THE HAMZA

initial hamzas

These are always carried on an alif. They are still classed as initial when preceded by AL (definite article)

example : أمير

medial hamzas

In order to know how to write the medial hamza, you should consider the "vowel" on the hamza itself and the letter infront of it.

1.) if either or both are a kasra then select the "yaa" shape to carry the hamza.

example : رئيس

2.) if there are no kasras, then if either or both are dhammas choose the waw shape to carry the hamza.

example : شؤون

3.) if both are fathas, choose the alif

example : رأيٌ

final hamzas

Onlythe preceding "vowel" needs to be considered.

1.) if there is sukoon or a long vowel (alif, yaa, waw) infront of the hamza, it needs to be written on the line.
    (also two successive alifs are not allowed so if the final letter is alif with fatha, write the hamza on the line)

example : شيء

2.) if the vowel is kasra, choose yaa, if it is dhamma, choose waw in the same way you would with a medial hamza :)

Leave a comment:

• Qassami
    replied
    فى كتابِ الطالبِ الجديدِ

in the book of the new student

But the kasra under the dhal shouldn't be there - I think, but I might be wrong.. lol .. need to get he opnion of the fusah speaking peeps.. since 3amaa (slang) peeps like me, are poor with gramar.

But mashaa Allah, you have a sound grasp of Arabic grammar... this might just encourage me into typing in Arabic.

Leave a comment:

• Khuzamah
    replied
    Originally posted by Abu Mubarak
    in english, transliteration or arabic?
    arabic :D I changed computers specially so I could type it in the proper alphabet :p

Leave a comment:

• Khuzamah
    replied
    hope noone minds the bigger size but its clearer for the arabic and alot of bother to change back 2 small for the english each time

إضافة
    this is a possessive construction taking the I case (genative), meaning that the second part of the construction should always take a kasra. The first part should not take a definite article, but it is defined by it's relationship to the second part and therefore should not have tanween.

example...

بابُ الْبيتِ

the door of the house

كتابُ ابنِهِ

the book of his son

It is possible to qualify any of the nouns in the Idafa structure, but as the idafa should not be broken they will be placed at the end, whichever of the nouns they are qualifying. This means the case ending is important in showing which noun the adjective belongs to.

سيارةُ البنتِ الصغيرةُ

the small car of the girl

سيارةُ البنتِ الصغيرةِ

the car of the small girl

There could be an idafa with more than two nouns. In this case the 2nd, 3rd and any other nouns would all take kasra and as usual the first is determined by the function in the sentence.

example :

بابُ بيتِ الرجلِ

as above only the final noun will show a definite article.

In some cases if the Idafa construction will be too complecated, for example if the first noun was following a preposition and therefore in the genetive with kasra, and there was an adjective, you will not be able to tell which noun the adjective is referring to, so you might prefer to abandon this construction and express it a different way...

فى كتابِ الطالبِ الجديدِ

is it.... in the book of the new student, or in the new book of the student? no way to tell! if you wanted to say in the new book of the student (just to choose one for example) it may be better to say
    فى الكتابِ الجديدِ للطالبِ
    as this will avoid any ambiguity

Leave a comment:

• AbuMubarak
    replied
    in english, transliteration or arabic?

Leave a comment:

• Khuzamah
    started a topic Grammar

Grammar

Insha Allah in this post I'll be going through a few grammar points, since I'm doing it anyway for exam revision I thought why not do it on Ummah incase the notes can be of use to anyone, plus it'll be good for me to see if I can increase my typing speed in Arabic :D

I'm just gonna do it in a pretty random order but if ne1 wants notes on a specific topic feel free to ask, if we've learnt it at uni I'll post it... if not, sorry :p
Working...
X