Pronunciation of ق

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronunciation of ق

Currently i'm trying to learn arabic and i learnt that the pronunciation of ق is "Q" but when i'm listening to anasheed, i hear it being pronounced as a G. Obviously there are different dialects of arabic where ق is pronounced as a G like Yemeni Arabic. However in some anasheed ق is pronounced both G and Q. A great example would be this nasheed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQrzxxpVMWc . Right in the beginning you can clearly hear the G sound but at like 0:32 he pronounces it as the Q like it's meant to be pronounced. Could someone tell me if there are any rules where ق is pronounced like a G ? I have an arabic dictionary and when i look under ق there are no words where it is pronounced as a G.

Re: Pronunciation of ق

In some dialects like the one in Yemen they pronounce it as G. Use Q as that is correct.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfdZcNOf2g4
      You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Yes that's exactly how i would pronounce it but why does the munsheed in the nasheed that i mentioned pronounce it both G and Q?

Comment

If you learning arabic don't worry about it, just pronounce it the normal way.

Comment

Originally posted by Anasheed View Post
            Currently i'm trying to learn arabic and i learnt that the pronunciation of ق is "Q" but when i'm listening to anasheed, i hear it being pronounced as a G. Obviously there are different dialects of arabic where ق is pronounced as a G like Yemeni Arabic. However in some anasheed ق is pronounced both G and Q. A great example would be this nasheed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQrzxxpVMWc . Right in the beginning you can clearly hear the G sound but at like 0:32 he pronounces it as the Q like it's meant to be pronounced. Could someone tell me if there are any rules where ق is pronounced like a G ? I have an arabic dictionary and when i look under ق there are no words where it is pronounced as a G.
            The correct and standard pronunciation is Q, you can't find the G in standard Arabic dictionaries.
            In some dialects they pronounce ق as G, but they still pronounce many words with Q.
            Like for example, in some dialects they say: ygool (he says) and yeqra (he reads) but not yegra, no rules here.
            And sometimes if that Arabic word is not common in the dialect, especially with nouns, they pronounce the Q, maybe it is the case in your video (قادة)
            Or if the word is respected like Qur'an, (although some people pronounce it with G).
            Or other reasons.
            I don't think there are general rules that work for all dialects.

Comment

Okay thanks for the clarifications.

Comment

Pronunciation of ق

@الغزالي northern Yemen pronounce it as G (some other Arabs too). While mid North Yemen (like me) pronounce it as Q.
                Have you seen he who has taken as his god his [own] desire, and Allah has sent him astray due to knowledge and has set a seal upon his hearing and his heart and put over his vision a veil? So who will guide him after Allah ? Then will you not be reminded? And they say, There is not but our worldly life; we die and live, and nothing destroys us except time. And they have of that no knowledge; they are only assuming. Quran 45:23-24

Comment

Reminds me the huge difficulty I had pronouncing this. My 'kaf' and 'qof' used to sound the same.

I still have difficulty pronouncing it mid-word.
                  Winning an argument doesn't mean you're on truth, losing an argument doesn't mean you're on falsehood.

Comment

It is pronounced "qhaw", very similar to the sound a crow makes.

- Arabic 101 student.

PS it is very helpful to watch pronounciation videos when learning arabic, because this is one of those letters that if you don't move your lips correctly, it will never sound right.

You actually have to sort of pucker your lips when you pronounce this letter.

Comment

Originally posted by learnedseeker View Post
                      It is pronounced "qhaw", very similar to the sound a crow makes.

- Arabic 101 student.

PS it is very helpful to watch pronounciation videos when learning arabic, because this is one of those letters that if you don't move your lips correctly, it will never sound right.

You actually have to sort of pucker your lips when you pronounce this letter.
                      No. That is a mistake. There is no change in lips at all.

What you are doing is a novice mistake to fake the tafkheem.

Tafkheem is achieved by raising the tongue from the back, not by puckering the lips.
                      You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Learned how to pronounce this letter from Georgetown Press' Alif Baa Taa college textbook online companion.

Most sold arabic college textbook in America.

I guess it's my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by think about it
                          :salams

In non-formal arabic, it is pronounced as 'Ga'

But in formal arabic, it is pronounced as 'Qa' well actually the letter is called "qawf'

I hope that cleared some of it out and Allah knows best

:jkk:
                          Wa aleiykum salam
                          Depends on what language
                          In morrocan qul= gul but in egyptian its just ul
                          يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

It's a Q but Q can sound like a G at times it depends on regional dialect even in Yemen it isn't all just a single pronunciation.

Comment

pronunciation of Qaf is not exactly a 'q' although that is the closest English letter to it; the 'qaf' comes from the throat; sounding a bit like a crows 'kaa'! to start of with

Comment

Working...
                              X