Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books to self-study Classical/Quranic Arabic, from beginner to advanced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books to self-study Classical/Quranic Arabic, from beginner to advanced?

This is the syllabus I shall be using to self-study although you may need a teacher towards the end (not sure, will find out).

I will simply name the books now but I will improve and add to it very soon and continue doing so as I learn more. I will improve the structure, add more links and more info and I'll also explain why I've included each book and why study in this fashion, Insha Allah.

Please note, this is only my unqualified view in the self-study approach to the language of Classical Arabic. I have used what Sunni_Student786 has said in this thread and extended it. I don't have a great deal of knowledge in this and the following syllabus is purely from my extensive research on the subject and from help in this thread, although to my belief, this is a great syllabus and you shouldn't have any problems studying this way. I must thank Sunni_Student786 for his help through which I have created this post.
    I request that anyone comment/criticise it so I can better it.
    Also, I'll be able to consult a mawlana if someone has a good question and can't find the answer to it (regarding this).

Here is the link to THIS particular post in this forum so that you may refer anyone to it, although I suggest you don't do so right now; allow me to improve it first.
    www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?398388&#post5848720

IN CONSECUTIVE ORDER:

[I]NOTES:
    • Work through the books in order... "&" means "study this book along with studying the book above".
    • There are several download and buy links, but they all link to the same file/book on different sites. Please notify me of any broken/problematic links

PART 1 _____________________________
    1) Madinah Arabic Course Book 1 *
    - study with the videos at LQToronto
    DOWNLOAD [Link 1 | Link 2]
    Buy - US [isl..ore --- alb..agh --- fur..ore]
    Buy - UK [amazon --- kit..bun --- uki..oks --- boo..mia --- dar..lam --- nob..ook]
    Buy (All-3-Vol) - US [amazon --- mec..oks --- isl..ore --- alh..ore --- alb..agh]
    Buy (All-3-Vol) - UK [amazon --- ebay --- kit..bun --- dar..aat --- uki..oks --- boo..mia]
    & Fundamentals of Classical Arabic Vol 1 DOWNLOAD [Link 1 (seperate files but incl CD audio) --- Link 2 (1 complete file)]
    Buy - US [amazon1 --- amazon2 --- mec..oks --- isl..ore --- alb..agh --- fur..ore --- alh..ore]
    Buy - UK [kitaabun --- dar..aat1 --- dar..aat2]
    ---
    2) Madinah Arabic Course Book 2 *
    - study with the videos at LQToronto
    DOWNLOAD [Link 1 | Link 2]
    Buy - US [isl..ore --- alb..agh --- fur..ore]
    Buy - UK [amazon --- kit..bun --- uki..oks --- boo..mia --- dar..lam --- nob..ook]
    Buy (All-3-Vol) - US [amazon --- mec..oks --- isl..ore --- alh..ore --- alb..agh]
    Buy (All-3-Vol) - UK [amazon --- ebay --- kit..bun --- dar..aat --- uki..oks --- boo..mia]

PART 2 _____________________________
    3) From the Treasures of Arabic Morphology - Pg 1-90
    & All the Arabic you Never Learned the First Time Around: Part 1 #
    ---
    4) Lisaan-ul-Quran Vol 1 + 2
    & All the Arabic you Never Learned the First Time Around: Part 2 #
    ---
    5) Lisaan-ul-Quran Vol 3
    & All the Arabic you Never Learned the First Time Around: Part 3 #

PART 3 _____________________________
    6) Qasas-un Nabiyyeen Vol 1-4
    ---
    7) Ilm-us Seeghah
    & Nafhat-ul 'Arab
    ---
    8) Qasas-un Nabiyyeen Vol 5

PART 4 _____________________________
    9) Balaghah in Brief
    & 77 Rules of Balaghah
    ---
    10) Safwat-ut Tafsir Select Surahs
    ---
    11) Al Balaghat-ul Wadihah
    ---
    12) Jawaahir-ul Balaghah
    ---
    13) Mukhtasar-ul Ma'ani (commentary of Talkhis-ul Miftah)
    & Sharh ibn 'Aqil #

PART 5 _____________________________
    14) Mukhtarat min Adab-ul 'Arab vol 1
    ---
    15) Al-Maqamat-ul Haririyyah
    ---
    16) Mukhtarat min Adab-ul 'Arab vol 2

* General
    # Nahw (Grammar)
    Sarf (Morphology)
    Balaghah (Rhetoric)
    Literature/Reading
    Last edited by ZakirAhmed; 30-05-14, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Re: What books to self-study Classical/Quranic Arabic, from beginner to advanced?

Originally posted by ZakirAhmed View Post
      This is the syllabus I will be using to self-study although you may need a teacher towards the end (not sure, will find out).

I will simply name the books now but I will improve and add to it very soon and continue doing so as I learn more.

Please note, this is completely my unqualified view in the approach to the language of Classical Arabic. I have used what Sunni_Student has said and extended it. I have little knowledge in this and the following syllabus is purely from my extensive research on the subject and help in this thread, although to my belief, this is a great syllabus and you shouldn't have problems studying this way.
      I request that anyone comment/criticise it so I can better it.

This is the link to THIS particular post in this forum so that you may refer anyone to it, although I suggest you don't do so right now; allow me to improve it first.
      http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...20#post5848720

IN CONSECUTIVE ORDER:
      THIS BOOK SHOULD BE STUDIED ALONGSIDE THIS BOOK

Madinah Arabic Course Book 1 - Fundamentals of Classical Arabic Vol 1
      Madinah Arabic Course Book 2
      All the Arabic you Never...Part 1 - From the Treasures of Arabic Morphology - Pg 1-90
      All the Arabic you Never...Part 2 - Lisaan-ul-Quran Vol 1 + 2
      All the Arabic you Never...Part 3 - Lisaan-ul-Quran Vol 3
      Qasas-un Nabiyyeen Vol 1-4
      Ilm-us Seeghah - Nafhat-ul 'Arab
      Qasas-un Nabiyyeen Vol 5
      Balaghah in Brief - 77 Rules of Balaghah
      Safwat-ut Tafsir
      Al Balaghat-ul Wadihah
      Jawaahir-ul Balaghah
      Mukhtasar-ul Ma'ani w/Talkhis-ul Miftah - Sharh ibn 'Aqil
      Mukhtarat min Adab-ul 'Arab vol 1
      Al-Maqamat-ul Haririyyah
      Mukhtarat min Adab-ul 'Arab vol 2
      That's a lot of books, how many hours will you be putting in daily/weekly for the self study.

Comment

Re: What books to self-study Classical/Quranic Arabic, from beginner to advanced?

Originally posted by Umar_ View Post
        That's a lot of books, how many hours will you be putting in daily/weekly for the self study.
        I know there are a lot of books, but most people self-study up to a much lesser extent. This is for people who want to study all of it (There are more advances ofcourse, but this is up until the extent the bigger Madrasah's - like boarding schools - teach I believe). It'll get more difficult towards the end to self-study I suspect, in which case you might need a teacher, but I'll look that up if it is the case and I'll also try to find English content for it.
        I don't know yet how many hours a week I will be dedicating; I will decide later. Currently focusing on exams. I'll be doing this along with my uni (college) studies Insha Allah.
        Last edited by ZakirAhmed; 26-05-14, 04:03 AM.

Comment

as Salaamu alaykum brother Zakir.

May Allah reward you for your efforts.

Please allow me 12-36 hours to give you some feedback on what you have outlined.

Regardless, may you be successful in your attempt to learn the language of the Book of Allah, his Prophet, and the people of Paradise and may you be of those who are successful in this life and the hereafter.

Wa'salaam.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunni_Student78 View Post
            as Salaamu alaykum brother Zakir.

May Allah reward you for your efforts.

Please allow me 12-36 hours to give you some feedback on what you have outlined.

Regardless, may you be successful in your attempt to learn the language of the Book of Allah, his Prophet, and the people of Paradise and may you be of those who are successful in this life and the hereafter.

Wa'salaam.
            Ofcourse bro take more than 36 hours. I'm in no rush lol. And same to you too :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sunni_Student78 View Post
              As salaamu alaykum respected brother.

I myself have been doing something similar on and off the last few years. ...
              Mashllah great reply, may Allah reward you for it. Do you know where I can find the book "All the Arabic you should have learned the first time around". I live in the US, so please let me know any book stores or online stores that carry this book. I tried googling it, but couldn't find anything.
              Last edited by علي; 04-09-16, 04:26 AM. Reason: Shortened quoted post for readability.

Comment

Assalamu Alaykum Bothers and Sisters

I just came across this thread and found it inspirational, Alhamdulillah!

I'm self studying using the following book:

Das Sabaq of Mawlana 'Abd al Salam Kidwai Nadvi (Ten Lessons on Arabic)

Does anyone has the answers for the exercises so I can check that my answers are correct? Without a teacher to correct me I need to know if my answers are on the right tracks and helping with my progression. Any help would be much appreciated!

JazakAllah Khayr

Mohammad.

Comment

I want to learn Arabic language. Can someone suggest a good and easy book which can help me understand the basics of the language?

Comment

Originally posted by Hafiz Ikram View Post
                    I want to learn Arabic language. Can someone suggest a good and easy book which can help me understand the basics of the language?
                    Try the madinah Arabic series
                    It's the best I've come across Alhamdulilah
                    "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

Gateway to Arabic series is to me the best for absolute beginners of Arabic
                      Last edited by pukas; 04-11-16, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I second the Madina Arabic series, they are amazing and you can easily find them in most Islamic bookstores.
                        Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
                        Oh turner of the Hearts make my heart firm on Your Deen

Comment

So many people want to learn the Arabic. I'm still stuck at the end of Madinah series book 2. Hoping to resume soon, all alone and unsupported. Self motivated and what not, I will do it

PS: Madinah series is not boring.
                          الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

Comment

Originally posted by noraina View Post
                            I second the Madina Arabic series, they are amazing and you can easily find them in most Islamic bookstores.
                            Have you seen the course on the madinaharabic website Im using that and an app called memrise to learn the vocab

Is that a good idea or shall I just get the book?
                            Accept the decree

It has happened to a million other people don't expect to be the exception

Comment

Originally posted by LingLing12 View Post
                              Originally posted by noraina View Post
                              Have you seen the course on the madinaharabic website Im using that and an app called memrise to learn the vocab

Is that a good idea or shall I just get the book?
                              The books are available here.

https://abdurrahman.org/arabic-learning/madina-arabic/
                              You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                                Jazakallahu khayran my brudda I shall download this for my ipad inshallah
                                Accept the decree

It has happened to a million other people don't expect to be the exception

Comment

Working...
                                X