Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best Arabic-English Dictionary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best Arabic-English Dictionary?

I want to buy the biggest or best Arabic-English Dictionary to have for reference and learning. It needs to have English script, Arabic and pronounciations. By this I mean, I want to be able to look up an Arabic word alphabetically and have the English word listed next to it.

I'm doing a google search, but I'm asking for your opinion, since you are all experts on the matter Also, I get the feeling that an outdated dictionary would probably do me some harm, to learn words from. Does anyone know of a good one that you can recommend? Just the name, I can find it....

Re: What is the best Arabic-English Dictionary?

I have been using the Hens Wehr Arabic/English Dictionary. I believe it does all of what you are looking for.

Comment

^^ Which one akh?
      Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam

Comment

Originally posted by Shahid hussain View Post
        It needs to have English script, Arabic and pronounciations. By this I mean, I want to be able to look up an Arabic word alphabetically and have the English word listed next to it.
        Do you mean that you want to find full Arabic words as opposed to searching by root? If you do, then go for one of the modern dictionaries by Collins/Oxford. If you want to search by root, then go for the Hans-Wehr (I think the most up-to-date is the fourth edition) as it is the one most commonly used by students and beginners in madaaris and universities.
        It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
        -Muslim

Comment

I 2nd Hans Wehr.
          Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_87 View Post
            ^^ Which one akh?

This one

Comment

Working...
            X