Trouble with the grammar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with the grammar

I have run into a sticky situation with arabic grammar and I'm trying to figure it out.

I have a children's book titled حاولي أن تقرئي (Try to Read). Initially I was puzzled by the yaa attached to both verb but have since been told that they relate to the subject of the sentence who is female.

I've looked through my Madinah notes for a reference to this I might have forgotten about but found only 2 (neither of which seem to apply), one when using the imperative (أمر) and the other when using لا before the verb.

Within the story the father is continually telling his daughter this - like it is a command yet not in the imperative.

Is it a characteristic of this particular verb or can other verbs be structured the same way?

To follow the pattern above, if I were to say to a group of men 'try to read' would I use:
    حاولوا أن تقرئوا and similarily to a boy حاول أن تقرأ

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re: Trouble with the grammar

that is the imperitive
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Yup, those are the corrects imperatives :)
      "Treat people in such a way and live amongst them in such a manner that if you die they weep over you, and when you are alive, they crave for your company"

[Hadhrat Ali R.A]

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
        that is the imperitive
        Yaa Anna
        Originally posted by Anne58 View Post
        حاولي أن تقرئي
        أليس هذا المضارع المنصوب؟

I'll leave it to you to correct me
        Last edited by Hiking; 14-02-11, 07:26 PM.
        It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
        -Muslim

Comment

yep, i was only refering to haawily forgot to consider about the other one
          anne basically the first ones are imperitive so the ya ending is for that reason and the 2nd verb is like that as a result of following "an" its become in that state as hiking has mentioned, ie if it was a verb in the "i" state (eg aqra'u) it would go to aqra'a with a fatha on it but these that have a noon on the end they lose the noon in that state, and that's why it ends up like this. or mayb hiking can explain better insha Allah
          .: Rufaida :.
          .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
          http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
          “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
          but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
          ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
          <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
            yep, i was only refering to haawily forgot to consider about the other one
            anne basically the first ones are imperitive so the ya ending is for that reason and the 2nd verb is like that as a result of following "an" its become in that state as hiking has mentioned, ie if it was a verb in the "i" state (eg aqra'u) it would go to aqra'a with a fatha on it but these that have a noon on the end they lose the noon in that state, and that's why it ends up like this. or mayb hiking can explain better insha Allah
            I can't, I've used up most of my brainpower for the day

Anne if you're still having trouble with it try looking it up, it's called المضارع المنصوب or in English - the subjunctive mood.
            It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
            -Muslim

Comment

Thanks guys!

Seems I was one Madinah lesson short when I tackled this story book, Lesson 18 covers the subjunctive for verbs

Comment

Working...
              X