• Show
Clear All

• RaineR
    replied
    Re: Question about Arabic

Originally posted by loonietoonie View Post
    Hope I got the spelling right.

ولد المعلم الصاح طويل

How can you tell if this word is asSalihi or asSalihu? The meaning changes significantly
    الصالح

Leave a comment:

• loonietoonie
    replied

jazaakiAllahu khairan sis.

So in vowel-less reading is it common to run into sentences where the meaning is ambigious like this, but the author knows what he intended? I was thinking there would be some spelling rule that would differentiate because fatha, dhamma, karsa were invented much later than written arabic.

In another words, literature which preceeded the invention of the vowels had to be verbally taught by the author before it could be read without ambiguity?

Leave a comment:

• .: Anna :.
    replied

if the tanween r not there then u cant tell, so the author would have 2 include just that one damma or kasra to make their meaning clear otherwise it is ambiguous. spelling is salih with lam in there which u just missed bt otherwise correct

Leave a comment:

• loonietoonie
    replied

Hope I got the spelling right.

ولد المعلم الصاح طويل

How can you tell if this word is asSalihi or asSalihu? The meaning changes significantly

Leave a comment:

• loonietoonie
    started a topic Question about Arabic

Question about Arabic

Sorry, I cant type it in arabic font because my comp doesnt support it right now. But here is my question:

Waladu almu3alami as-salihu 6aweelun– the pious boy of the teacher is tall
    Waladu almu3alami as-salihi 6aweelun– the boy of the pious teacher is tall

When reading in arabic without vowels, how would one differentiate between the two sentences? The ending of as-salih changes the meaning.

JazaakAllahu khairan in advance.
Working...
X