Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arabic Morphology

:salams:

can someone give me a detailed explanation of what arabic morphology is?
    is it to do with verbs, sis it something some learn whilst learning arabic? maybe it has a different name as well and i studied it in aalima class, but maybe i didn't so i would like to know inshaAllah.

:jkk:
    :wswrwb:
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Re: Arabic Morphology

the other name is sarf u might kno it? like people mention them together nahw and sarf, nahw is the one relating 2 the endings of the words, sarf for the other things happening 2 the word
    there was a good pdf sarf book somewhere here in arabic forum that i posted ages ago, probably a yr back...
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

got it on google i think it was this one

http://kalamullah.com/Books/Treasure...Morphology.pdf
      ~ Ibn Atallah

<button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

ohhh....like verbs? run running etc?
        The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '

Comment

yeah + other stuff too, look on the pdf @ the index whats in the book then u can see all different topics
          like shapes of words etc
          ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

It has to do with the different scales and forms of words that you get, like the faa'il, maf'ool etc. It also deals with the changes which happen to words. And it covers both verbs and nouns.
            "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
            (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

Canny open your link Anna...PDF links don't like my puter...

What I understand of it (and in plain English, TMR's post went straight over me head! :p) is exactly what is says on the tin - the study of change in regards to words. Many different words can stem from a single root word in arabic (as you probably know), they can differ in number, gender, tense and meaning*, and morphology simply teaches you how to change the one from one form to the other.

Verbs:

For example: kataba ... means: he wrote كتب
              If you want to change it to 'she wrote' (gender switch) you'd have katabat كتبت etc.
              If you wanted to change the number of people - say 'they wrote (masc.)' you'd have kataboo كتبوا etc.
              If you wanted to switch the tense, say past to present you would change it to yaktubu يكتب (he is writing/he writes) and so on...

Those were verbs, here are some nouns:

Then there's the different meanings you can derive such as you have the action of smoking 'dakhana' then you have the smoker (actor I guess? :p) 'mudakhkhan'.

Stuff like making nouns and adjectives agree would also come under this, for as you know they must agree in 4 ways, 3 of which are applicable here: 1. Definition 2. Gender 3. Number (4. is Case Ending if you wanted to know, but thats grammar).

E.g. If you wanted to say 'the big bottle' we'd know that the word for the bottle is 'az-zujaajah' and the word for big is 'kabeer', the adjective has to agree with the noun so we'd whack a taa marbuta on the end of kabeer to make kabeerah, stick an alif-laam on there too and bobs yer uncle:

الزجاجة الكبيرة

They already agree in number as both are singular.

There are so many other ways to morph the words, but basically that is what morphology is all about, according to my tiny mind :idea:

*I use the term 'meaning' loosely for lack of a better word.
              Last edited by Hiking; 15-08-10, 11:50 PM.
              It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
              -Muslim

Comment

ah ok....done that more or less then. :jkk:

Comment

hiking if u can open on another pc i think u will like it :p look @ it wen u go back 2 uni or sumin iA
                  ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

Originally posted by Hiking View Post
                    Stuff like making nouns and adjectives agree would also come under this, for as you know they must agree in 4 ways, 3 of which are applicable here: 1. Definition 2. Gender 3. Number (4. is Case Ending if you wanted to know, but thats grammar).

E.g. If you wanted to say 'the big bottle' we'd know that the word for the bottle is 'az-zujaajah' and the word for big is 'kabeer', the adjective has to agree with the noun so we'd whack a taa marbuta on the end of kabeer to make kabeerah, stick an alif-laam on there too and bobs yer uncle:
                    I think this would fall under nahw.
                    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
                    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

Nahw, Sarf , Balaqa to master Arabic you must memorize the rules

understand and be able to put them to use.

a student of knowledge will for example memorise ajroomiyaa , qatru nada, and alfiya bin malik.

in many circles of knowledge with the ulema you will not be allowed in if you have not memorized these books.

Comment

Working...
                      X