Nahw Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nahw Laws

Heh, I heard a couple of funny stories about some bedouins responses to mistake in nahw long time ago.

One time, an imam read the opening verses of surah at tawbah and reached the aayah:

وأذان من الله ورسوله إلى الناس يوم الحج الأكبر أن الله بريء من المشركين ورسوله

"And [it is] an announcement from Allah and His Messenger to the people on the day of the greater pilgrimage that Allah is disassociated from the polytheists, and [so is] His Messenger."

But the imam made a seemingly little mistaken in the nahw of that aayah.

The imam accidently read : minal mushrikeena wa rasuulihi.. من المشركين ورسوله . He read the letter 'lam' of 'rasool' with a kasra instead of a dhumma. With the dhumma on top of the letter 'lam' it includes the prophet :saw: being free of the mushrikeen, as it should be read.. but with that little difference, it changed the whole aayah to,

''Allah is free from the mushrikeen and the messenger" (He is also free from the messenger.)

Now little did the imam know, there happened to be a bedouin in the masjid. Since the bedouins were very strong in the arabic language, this bedouin noticed that difference right away ..

So the bedouin said out loud in the middle of the prayer : !!فانّي برءت ممّا برأ الله منه

(Then I have also freed my self from what Allah has freed himself!!),

and he stormed out of the masjid.

:rofl1:
    º•○º○•Sabr... is like swallowing something bitter without showing any distaste on your face.•○º○•º -Imam Junaid

Comment

Originally posted by Abdullah Fatih View Post
      Heh, I heard a couple of funny stories about some bedouins responses to mistake in nahw long time ago.

One time, an imam read the opening verses of surah at tawbah and reached the aayah:

"And [it is] an announcement from Allah and His Messenger to the people on the day of the greater pilgrimage that Allah is disassociated from the polytheists, and [so is] His Messenger."

The imam accidently read : minal mushrikeena wa rasuulihi.. من المشركين ورسوله . He read the letter 'lam' of 'rasool' with a kasra instead of a dhumma. With the dhumma on top of the letter 'lam' it includes the prophet :saw: being free of the mushrikeen, as it should be read.. but with that little difference, it changed the whole aayah to,

''Allah is free from the mushrikeen and the messenger" (He is also free from the messenger.)

Now little did the imam know, there happened to be a bedouin in the masjid. Since the bedouins were very strong in the arabic language, this bedouin noticed that difference right away ..

So the bedouin said out loud in the middle of the prayer : !!فانّي برءت ممّا برأ الله منه

Funny you mentioned it, my dad told me this story a couple days ago. It still amazes me how the bedouin corrected the Imam.
      المادح نفسه كذاب
      I do not fear for the person who thinks, even if he loses his way, for he will return to the truth. Rather, I fear for the person who doesn't think, even if he is correctly guided, for he will be like a wisp of straw at the mercy of the wind. —Muhammad al-Ghazali

Comment

Then there's the story of one `aalim of nahw who went to a hammaam, in the hammaam one unlearned man was waiting while his son was in the hammaam, so he tried to impress the `aalim with his knowledge of arabic and he called out to his son: "Yaa bunayy, ibda bi yadaaka wa rijlaaka."

Then he turned to the `aalim and said: "You know, the people of this language have died."

So the shaykh replied: "I wouldn't know, i never met the people of this language."

Explanation: He made mansoob that which should have been majroor, it should have been "bi yadayka wa rijlayka", because the baa is a harf jarr.

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Mus'ab View Post
          Then there's the story of one `aalim of nahw who went to a hammaam, in the hammaam one unlearned man was waiting while his son was in the hammaam, so he tried to impress the `aalim with his knowledge of arabic and he called out to his son: "Yaa bunayy, ibda bi yadaaka wa rijlaaka."

Then he turned to the `aalim and said: "You know, the people of this language have died."

So the shaykh replied: "I wouldn't know, i never met the people of this language."

Explanation: He made mansoob that which should have been majroor, it should have been "bi yadayka wa rijlayka", because the baa is a harf jarr.
          i dont get it :( ,, can you write it in Arabic plz brother :jkk:

http://quran.cc/images/Quranlogo.png........http://i.imgur.com/b066ayL.png

“My sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out greater.” Imam Shafie

Comment

Originally posted by innocent_girl View Post
            i dont get it :( ,, can you write it in Arabic plz brother :jkk:
            I can do better than write it out, i found a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQ8fXIUdTA

Except he narrates it slightly different to mine.

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Mus'ab View Post
              I can do better than write it out, i found a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQ8fXIUdTA

Except he narrates it slightly different to mine.
              Now that's funny.
              "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Abdullah Fatih View Post

This was one of my teacher's favorite stories to tell us...and she probably told us every year for 3 years running.

My dad used it to emphasis the importance of arabic grammar to my siblings and I, many many times.

It was like the nahw version of the 'punctuation kills' joke.
                "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                X