Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nahw Laws

:salams

Note: You have to know some arabic before reading this thread, or you will not be able to understand it.

To start off i'll just quickly mention the definition of nahw, nahw is a science whereby you come to know the status of the last letter with regards to its i'raab (fathah/dhammah/saakin etc), it's only the last letter which changes with nahw, the first two letters is not affected by it.

When talking about "three letters" we mean the three original letters for example nasara is noon, saad, raa, all three are its original letters, where as "istinsaar" is alif, seen, taa, noon, saad, alif, raa, yet only the noon saad and raa are the original letters, the other letters are added on through sarf.

So now we come to the actual thread that i wanted to make.

I tend to forget the nahw laws every now and again, and it always takes so long to relearn them all form their different places, so i thought it would be good to make a thread regarding it where the summary of the law is posted along with an example so that if a person memorizes it then he'll know his nahw.

For example, one law is that when "an" أن masdariyah comes in a sentence then the word after it will always have a fathah on the last letter.

e.g. Ash-hadu al laa ilaaha illallaah, wa ash-hadu anna muhammadar rasoolullaah.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمدا رسول الله

So you see, in that example the word "muhammad" had taken on a fathah on the last letter.

Now take a sentence like Laa ilaaha illallaah, muhammadur rasoolullaah.

You see, this time there's no "an" in the sentence, so muhammad remained in its original state with a dhammah.

Is that easy enough to understand?

Okay then, feel free to add any other nahw laws here :up:
    Last edited by Abu Mus'ab; 22-04-10, 03:45 PM.

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Re: Nahw Laws

I know arabic, but u confused me -in the end @)

u said if there is an "an" then the word after it would have a fatha on the last letter, and in أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله there is "an" but the word Muhammed (which is after "an" ) has a dhammah

btw I think this is a brilliant thread :up:

btw delete the alif lam in the word رسول
    There is no such thing as an Israel,
    It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by RaineR View Post
      I know arabic, but u confused me -in the end @)

u said if there is an "an" then the word after it would have a fatha on the last letter, and in أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله there is "an" but the word Muhammed (which is after "an" ) has a dhammah

btw I think this is a brilliant thread :up:

btw delete the alif lam in the word رسول
      It does not have a dhammah, why did you think it would have one? :scratch:

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Comment

isnt it Muhammadun?
        It is occupied-palestine

Comment

isnt it Muhammadun?
          Nope it's not, you've been learning by the wrong people

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Mus'ab View Post
            Nope it's not, you've been learning by the wrong people
            really?
            so why did u say it stays in its original form? which is a dhammah
            im confused now :(
            It is occupied-palestine

Comment

I think you would have began with the basics or it will be random???
              islamway
              اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Comment

really?
                so why did u say it stays in its original form? which is a dhammah
                im confused now :(
                me too
                islamway
                اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Comment

oh oh oh now I get itttttt
                  the one that has dhammah does not have "an" before it @) like here >>> لا إله إلا الله محمدٌ رسول الله
                  sorry If I confused anyone else

but this one here >>> أشهد أن محمداً رسول الله has alif fatha becuz "an" made it become mansooooooooob

I still hate na7o :(
                  Last edited by RaineR; 22-04-10, 04:57 PM.
                  It is occupied-palestine

Comment

Assalamualaykum

Its an-na (with the tashdeed) which gives nasuab/fat-ha to the next word and its from the Huroof-Mushabbahatun bil fe'l. (Particles which have similarities with the verb).

An-masdariyya is the one which comes before a verb which gives the verb it's masdar meaning.
                    http://www.ilmfeed.com

Comment

http://learnarabiconline.com/
                      Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

Originally posted by rafiq.h View Post
                        Assalamualaykum

Its an-na (with the tashdeed) which gives nasuab/fat-ha to the next word and its from the Huroof-Mushabbahatun bil fe'l. (Particles which have similarities with the verb).

An-masdariyya is the one which comes before a verb which gives the verb it's masdar meaning.
                        anna or inna.. or are they both same thing.. cause I know "an" and "inna" mean different things

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Mus'ab View Post
                          For example, one law is that when "an" أن masdariyah comes in a sentence then the word after it will always have a fathah on the last letter.

e.g. Ash-hadu al laa ilaaha illallaah, wa ash-hadu anna muhammadar rasoolullaah.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمدا رسول الله

So you see, in that example the word "muhammad" had taken on a fathah on the last letter.

Now take a sentence like Laa ilaaha illallaah, muhammadur rasoolullaah.

You see, this time there's no "an" in the sentence, so muhammad remained in its original state with a dhammah.

Is that easy enough to understand?

Okay then, feel free to add any other nahw laws here :up:
                          Good thread Abu saab!

:wswrwb:

I've only ever used verbs after the particles 'an' wa 'lan' (what other particles belong to this family btw?), and in that case, the verb that follows the particle is called the 'subjunctive'.

:مثلاً

أحِبُّ أنْ أسَافِرَ إلى......( بيتي من جامعتي

;)

The verb 'usaafira' there is the subjunctive.

I also learned that the particle 'an' plus the subjunctive can be replaced with the masdar, and this is more formal.
                          Originally posted by rafiq.h View Post
                          Assalamualaykum

:wswrwb:

What does nasuab mean? And can you explain a bit about this group please?
                          Huroof-Mushabbahatun bil fe'l
                          It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
                          -Muslim

Comment

Nasb.. the other word for fatha.

Comment

Originally posted by scribble View Post
                              anna or inna.. or are they both same thing.. cause I know "an" and "inna" mean different things
                              Wouldn't 'an' here mean 'that' ? Not 'verily'?

Edit: shukran for the above
                              It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
                              -Muslim

Comment

Working...
                              X