Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart & Dog

Salam Alaykum,

Please forgive me if this has been raised in another post although i cannot find it.

I am wondering how to differentiate between heart (قلب) and dog (كلب) when talking. I understand that ك (kaaf) & ق (qaaf) have slightly different pronunciations, however to me, a non-arab, the words seem very similar when pronounced and i would hate to offend if i said heart in the wrong way!

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Shukran Jazeelan :)

Re: Heart & Dog

wa Alaykum Phil,

You use different parts of your mouth when articulating the qaaf and the kaaf, and I find that it helps to bear this in mind when pronouncing the letters.

The kaaf ك sounds just like your bogstandard English K that can be found in the word kangaroo for instance, or a hard C such as can be found in cake, corner, carpet etc.

The qaaf ق however has a much deeper/guttural sound because it comes from a deeper point within the throat. When you pronounce this letter you are using the same muscles that you do when you gag :o thats how I'd explain it.

Another notable difference is this - the letter kaaf is correctly pronounced when the tongue touches the hard palate, whilst the qaaf is pronounced when the tongue touches the soft palate of the mouth (further back).

I think the most helpful thing would be to remember the soft palate/hard palate difference - if you haven't pronounced it using the correct parts of the mouth you're probably saying it wrong.

Try using this site, just click on both of the letters and you'll hear someone pronouncing them (I'm sorry if it's not so good, this is the only site I could find with the most marked difference!)

http://dilap.eu/arabic-alphabet/qaf.html

The most important thing is to practice; practice pronouncing the letters individually (alternate them, qaaf kaaf qaaf kaaf and try to maintain the difference!) and practice saying words that contain them, insha'Allah it'll soon become second nature to you.

Also, just being aware of the problem will help you to avoid making the mistake!

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Hiking; 21-12-09, 06:25 PM.
    It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
    -Muslim

Comment

Re: Heart & Dog

Wow Shukran Jazeelan Hiking i appreciate this very much i will keep your suggestions in mind you've been more help than i could ever imagine!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X