• Show
Clear All

The Fiks - Arabic lesson 1 notes

:start:

:salams

Arabic Language Lesson 1 - Taught by Abu Taubah

Subject is Arabic Language

Arabic comes from the word Ara’ba عرب

عرب Ar’aba is a word which has its own meaning; it means to ‘make something crystal clear so as to leave no doubt to what was implied’. Especially an emotion or a feeling. Also refers to particular people known as the Arabs.

So when Allah says:

Quran’nan Ar’abiyan – A recital that makes it crystal clear, that leaves no doubt as to what was implied.

Quran – recital
    Arabiya – to make something crystal clear.

It doesn’t mean an Arabic Quran; because you recited Arabic in Englishsized form.

The scholars of Tawheed have proven that every mistake from every one of these deviant groups, they first deviated from making mistake in the Arabic language. Linguistic mistake was their first mistake.

Definition of Language - those sounds that are shared by all people.

Everybody has sounds that come of their tongue, (except animals who’s sounds come of their throat).

Share same sounds, but meanings are different. An example would be the word ‘wow’, in English it means surprised/amazement but in the language of alaf, a (Senegalese language) it means ‘yes’. Pronounced the same exact way, but meaning differs because of the people share same sound, different meaning.

How we got the Arabic Language

Quran, authentic Hadith of the Prophet :saw: (first 2 proofs that have preserved the Arabic language)

Then Poetry (prior to Islam), Educated writers amongst the Arabs who preserved the Arabic language. These are the proofs if someone asks why you say a certain word is said this way,answer would be because it was imitated this way passed down this way.

Reason why poetry prior to Islam is because Arabs before Islam, best thing they had was their poetry, they would take their poetry and compete with the other Arabs, and best one would be hung up on the Kabbah, Mu’alaqat. 7 of the poems stayed up until Islam came, these are called the seven hanging poems.

We call this Naqlan – meaning we got this passed down from father to son.

In the Arabic language there are 13 sciences.

Nahw and Sarf are the two important one’s amongst the 13.

- Nahw – Grammar
    - Sarf – Etymology (ology- study of)

Nahw – Grammar

Grammar is the science through which we can understand and learn the changes that a word goes through based on the placement in a sentence, and the changes at the end of the word. Each time you place a sentence differently, the word will mean something different. This is grammar based on changes in word.

Sarf – Etymology

Sarf – Pronounced like the word ‘Saw’ that’s the sound ‘sarf’ mouth open not the س seen type of saw.

Sarf means to give change, to break something down. Literally means to give change, as a terminology it is a science through which we understand the shape and change of a word before entering it into a sentence. The meaning of a word in of itself before we enter it into a sentence.

There 35 shapes/scales of Arabic verb, each shape has its own individual meaning.

Arabic has 2 things, the meaning of the word as a shape, and then it has the root meaning of the word.

Example the word مسلم Muslim, mo’o in front of a word, whenever you have it means one who posses the qualities of the rest of the word, another example the word Munafiq.

If we change the word and say Islam, this is another change in the word, put Alif with Kasra, which than means who who submits. Same way we have Muhlis, means one who is sincere. Word for sincere is Ikhlaas, which is the same exact shape. There are 35 of these in the Arabic language.

3 types words in Arabic/ in every language.

First one is Harf - this is a letter/also connector word.

Second type is Filun – verb – an action word

Third type is Ismun – super-noun – It’s a person/place/thing and also includes a description/adjective. Not a noun. Not same as the English noun,

First Type Harf (3 parts)

Harf - Letter and connectors (any word that points to a meaning in another word)

a)Letters in the Arabic language – alif, baa, jaa, daa

b) Connectors – Any word that points to a meaning, in another word and it’s not connected to a timeframe.

Example the word ‘under’, under is a word that points to a meaning in something else, by itself it won’t have any meaning. Under what?, other words in, from, above, to.

These are connectors without which you can’t make a sentence sound good. In Arabic you have similar words, min, waa.

They don’t have a meaning in of itself. And it’s not connected to a timeframe.

c)Letters with extra meaning, these are letters like the word Alif by itself is a Question, it means any sentence that has now been changed into a question that can only be answered by yes or no. In English we would say a’a and it would mean as,in,ae.

Example I went to the store, to change to question you would say did you go to the store?

In Quran Allah say’s Ra’ayta meaning you saw, to turn this into a question you would say A’ra’ayta. It's now Turned into a question.

Other examples would be with letter Mo’o, mushrik,munafiq,mushrik. Mo’o before a word means who who posses.

Second Type Filun - verb

Is a word that points to a meaning, in and of itself and is connected to one of three time frames. Either immediate, either past, or present/future.

Re: The Fiks - Arabic lesson 1 notes

:jkk: :D
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Re: The Fiks - Arabic lesson 2 notes

Arabic Language Lesson 2 - Taught by Abu Taubah

3 Types of word in Arabic/ever language:

First one is Harf - this is a letter/also connector word.

Second type is Filun – verb – an action word.

Third type is Ismun – super-noun – It’s a person/place/thing and also includes a description/adjective.

Second Type Filun – Verb- An action word

It is a word that points to a meaning, in and of itself (the word has it’s own meaning) and connected to one of three time frames:

Either immediate, past or present/future.

Examples:

- Run – timeframe immediate.

This is an order; an order denotes immediacy, unless a condition is put there. Any time you find an order in the Quran or the Sunnah it denotes immediacy.

- Ran – timeframe past

- Running – timeframe present/future.

Reason why it’s present/future is because were in present tense now, and as were staying in the present were going into the future tense.

Third Type Ismun– Supernoun

Noun – Name of place/person or thing
      Super Noun – Name of place/person or thing + an adjective (description)

In Arabic we can’t translate Ismun as a Noun, because it’s not a noun. Example the word pretty in English it is an adjective, in Arabic it will be an Ismun there is no other section for it to go under. All the adjectives are Ismun.

An Ismun is a word that points to a meaning, in and of itself (means the word has it’s own meaning) and is not connected to a time frame.

Example the word Masjid – It is word that points to a meaning in and of itself (the word has it’s own meaning) and is not connected to a timeframe.

Eesaa – Is a word that points to meaning in and of itself, and is not connected to a timeframe.

New York, Airplane, beautiful – these are all Ismun words in Arabic language that have meanings in itself and are not connected to a timeframe.

Sarf – Etymology – breaking down of words.

Ismun is the strongest out of the 3, you can’t make a sentence from a Harf. Example you can not say under, or in, from, around, behind, their words of Harf but they’re not Kalam (speech).

You also can not make a sentence with just a Filun, example running; sat, standing they have no meaning by itself, you need an Ismun.

But an Ismun in Arabic doesn’t need a Filun, and it doesn’t need a Harf. Because you can make a sentence

As’sama’a Mobeen – the sky is clear.

The word ‘is’ is implied.

As’samao is a word that points to meaning in itself and is not connected to a timeframe, and so is Mobeen

Both words are Ismun... Two Ismuns but you still have a full sentence. This is why Ismun is most powerful out of the 3.

And if we do Sarf of the word Ismun we find that Ismun is from Sumuyi’ha, from it’s loftiness because it comes from the word Sky.

ان ا لكلا م عند نا فلتستمع - In’nal Kalama Ind’ana, Faltastam’ee

In’na – Is a word, means emphasis, emphasis the point. When put before a sentence it makes that sentence a verifiable fact.

Al – Means the

Also a Spanish word came from originally Arabic. From Muslim rule in Spain for over 800 yrs.

Kalam – means speech, from the word Kalimah, which literally means A sound that you spit off your tongue that posses a meaning. Important part is it’s off your tongue. Reason being because animals make sounds through their throat, it’s not speech, speech is off the tongue. Only the humans and Jinn use their tongue.

Ind’ana – Means according to us. Us here are the scholars of grammar not going to talk about what anybody else what they define speech as only going to talk about what scholars of grammar say. And it surrounds 3 words: Ismun, Filun, and Harf.

Faltastam’ee - Fa is the Jawab – answer to this.

It will be translated as ‘if you want to know what speech is according to us ‘people of grammar ‘fa’ than.

Latasme’e - The laam here is called laam amr, it means an order so it means let them.

Istam’e’e - The ta here in front of the word means ‘you’, rest of word is istima’a.

The Ista’a in front of a word means to seek something, like when we astaghfirullah. Seeking forgivness.

And the rest of word sama’aya, seen, meem, ayn means to hear. When you change it to ista’mee; seek to hear, it means to listen. So let him listen, meaning let him pay attention.

The sentence will be translated as:

If you want to know Kalam (speech) is according to ‘us’ the scholars of grammar than listen up.

a) Harf - Letters

Poem - With Basmalah & Hamdalah then blessings on the prophet.

I’ll have my say with you today concerning orthographic. Description of their numerals, points of articulation as each one comes and as it does it has it’s own sensation.

We start of ‘with’

Basmalah (abbreviation) – means :start:

And then Hamdalah (abbreviation) – means :alhumdull

Then we send the Salawat blessing on the prophet :saw:

The Shaykh then say’s I’ll have my say with you today concerning orthographics.

Ortho – from mouth
      Graphics – images/visual

Orthogrpahics represents the visual images that come out from sound of your mouth. – talking about the alphabet.

The letters are a visual image, of the sounds that come out your mouth.

For a language to be totally orthographic there has to be a visual image representing every constant sound of that language.

There are two types of sounds in every language. There’s a constant sound, and there’s a vowel sound.

Vowels sounds – a’a, ee’ oo’

In Arabic you have a graphine, you have a letter. E.g ba’a , and then you have a vowel sound, a’a. You put it together you have a sound ba’a

What were going to learn about the Orthographics (Alphabet Letters)

Description of their numerals, their points of articulation (Arabic words have 2 points of articulation. First point is the Mahraj, Mahraj is the point where it exits the way you say that letter. However outside of it’s Mahraj we have the Tajweed rule – the Tajweed rule is based on noon when its mixed with other letters you don’t say the noon. Example the word ar-rahman, there’s laam in there but we don’t say it.

Points of articulation by itself – Mahraj
      and when mixed with other letters – Tajweed

Those are the 2 points of articulation

As each one comes and as it does each has its own sensation – the sensation of hearing the proper pronunciation, we have to learn to pronounce it properly in order for it to have the right effect it’s supposed to have.

What you will learn about every letter:

Description of the letter- description also determines how it looks when you write it.
      How to pronounce it.
      The numerals of the letter (Every Arabic letter has a numeric value).
      Last edited by OBL; 22-03-09, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I'm confused. =( So I was listening to the first one today, the Master letters part one, but it seemed as if he'd already mentioned stuff before I'd missed, then I was going through he was saying the classroom rules and then it cut off. =(

So I dunno what I missed, and so I went to the second one and they had a quiz and the teacher was writing on the board the answers and I didn't have notes for some of the questions!

Can you post the link that you got this from? It's just cause you can't scroll to where you wanna go to in the video, you have to start all over again.

Comment

omg i hate Na7o
          There is no such thing as an Israel,
          It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

Comment

Oh :jkk: I thought it was the ones on the Fiks website. =o

Comment

oh are these dif than the ones on the fiks website?
              scribble u can scroll in the vids, once they start let it run a bit then it should be loading quicker than it plays u can skip fwd a bit? ive had to do that sometimes

rainer! nooo nahw haters allowed in here :p
              ~ Ibn Atallah

<button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Ohh lol. It's real funny. =P Saw and saa... =P

Hmm.. how many lessons are there on youtube? I wanna move onto the ones on the website. =o

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                  oh are these dif than the ones on the fiks website?
                  scribble u can scroll in the vids, once they start let it run a bit then it should be loading quicker than it plays u can skip fwd a bit? ive had to do that sometimes

rainer! nooo nahw haters allowed in here :p
                  i was quiet good at it in school but i hate it its sooooo boring:D
                  There is no such thing as an Israel,
                  It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

Comment

It's not boring
                    some teachers make things boring, but in reality its really fascinating
                    like I used to find the scales boring and i was like blerh watever, i didnt really want to learn them (altho masha Allah my teachers were good, that was actually my own fault cos i was just more stupid @ that time :p) but now i read some interesting stuff and im thinking like omg why didn't i pay attention properly before
                    all these topics if you look at them in relation to Quran then they become extremely interesting, even if you didnt like the topic by itself before?
                    anyway dont come in here and say boring u might put ppl off

scribble thats really confusing the youtube and fiks ones are dif i thought it was same :s im gna try 2 check it out and understand what is where..
                    ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

oh okay the fiks site has only the ajrumiyya and master letters

insha Allah we will organise the youtube links here so its easy to access everything, cos bit confusing just getting it from the makeen youtube page
                      ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

oh hmm i found some other lessons on youtube too, not looked at this dno if its as good as the fiks ones but here is link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/muttaqi

Lesson 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCqgb...e=channel_page
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqzgc...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYH_Z...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgps...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSEh...eature=related

Lesson 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk1Me...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vclFy...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJz_1...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iRVb...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-9YI...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li3mk...eature=related

Lesson 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGj9M...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB_qc...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2kAW...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNj8U...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_inV...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKph...eature=related

Lesson 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYrm9...e=channel_page
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW-iC...e=channel_page
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk3rS...e=channel_page
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1nII...e=channel_page
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxk4X...e=channel_page

insha Allah i will continue it later so we have everything linked clearly in this thread

(btw obl if this is messing up ur notes, i can move all this to a dif thread and leave this only for notes? so please tell me if u prefer me to do tht?)
                        ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

Ohh they're gonna have a quiz I want a quiz! =o

Comment

how many lessons are there on youtube? I wanna move onto the ones on the website. =o
                            37 lessons.

insha Allah i will continue it later so we have everything linked clearly in this thread

(btw obl if this is messing up ur notes, i can move all this to a dif thread and leave this only for notes? so please tell me if u prefer me to do tht?)
                            nah jus leave it as it is.. :jkk: otherwise no one's gonna bother watching the video's if they're all posted into one long thread with nothing but utube links. this way people might read the notes and then refer back to the video in the same thread instead of having to go and search for it from another thread.
                            Last edited by OBL; 24-03-09, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X