Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arabic Sarf Help Please!!

As-salamu Alaykum,

I have some questions pertaining to arabic verbs. I want to know the meanings or implications of each baab (or form) if possible and how to work out the meaning...(i'm really struggling to work out the correlation between the different forms)

i've learnt all the 10 forms, the sarf sagheer and sarf kabeer but i would really love to know how to work out their meanings.

For example, i know through memorisation that 'alima' in Form 1 means 'to know' and in Form 2 'allama' means 'to teach' i.e. to make someone know...

this form is reasonably okay to work out the meaning but the other forms are a little more complicated.

Is there a comprehensive way of learning the meanings of all the forms???? I am sorry if i am unclear.....

Jazakallahu Khayran,
    asif.

Re: Arabic Sarf Help Please!!

well there are trends in the meaning which will come from using dif forms...
    like forms 2 sometimes a transitive (i think) form of 1... eg 1 = jalasa = to sit, 2= jallasa = to make someone else sit...
    then form 3 is often to do with doing something with someone else, like cooperation.. form 6 a reflexive form of 3, form 5 reflexive of 2, form 7 passive, form 10 often meaning seeking something...
    but then each verb still it can have slightly dif meaning depending on individual word and circumstance.
    is this like what u mean or have i misunderstood you?
    also remember u cant make every form verb out of every root.. most root will have only a few or some not 10 forms.
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
      well there are trends in the meaning which will come from using dif forms...
      like forms 2 sometimes a transitive (i think) form of 1... eg 1 = jalasa = to sit, 2= jallasa = to make someone else sit...
      then form 3 is often to do with doing something with someone else, like cooperation.. form 6 a reflexive form of 3, form 5 reflexive of 2, form 7 passive, form 10 often meaning seeking something...
      but then each verb still it can have slightly dif meaning depending on individual word and circumstance.
      is this like what u mean or have i misunderstood you?
      also remember u cant make every form verb out of every root.. most root will have only a few or some not 10 forms.
      Jaza ka'Allah, thats exactly what i was looking for, u understood me correctly!

But I need some written material, or a comprehensive way of learning these baabs with their different implications, if u knw what i mean....

thanks for your explanation though...it does help...

Comment

Well in general every baab has a specific meaning which applies to it.. lts called khasiat e baab... there are many.. if you're interested i can get it for you and type it up..

like for instance kharaja in first baab or form means to get out
        in if3aal and taf3eel it means ikhraj and takhreej to exclude someone else or send him out
        and if you take it in istif3aal - istikhraj - there it will mean to request or want to get something out..

from here we come to know that baab e istif3aal has the khasiat of requesting or wanting to do something..

i hope you understand this... and as our sister said that u cant make every form with every verb or root.. for this you will have to consult a dictionary or deeply study the usage of arabic.. but most of the times if you know the khasiat of a baab you'll be right on target on deriving its meaning. u just need to know the meaning of the root i.e. the basic verb like if you know what kharaja means you'll easily convert it into other baabs.. this thing also comes with practice.

if u need any more assistance i'll be more than happy to help u.. u can add me on [email protected].. and if u understand urdu then it will be very nice and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliban1 View Post
          Well in general every baab has a specific meaning which applies to it.. lts called khasiat e baab... there are many.. if you're interested i can get it for you and type it up..

like for instance kharaja in first baab or form means to get out
          in if3aal and taf3eel it means ikhraj and takhreej to exclude someone else or send him out
          and if you take it in istif3aal - istikhraj - there it will mean to request or want to get something out..

from here we come to know that baab e istif3aal has the khasiat of requesting or wanting to do something..

i hope you understand this... and as our sister said that u cant make every form with every verb or root.. for this you will have to consult a dictionary or deeply study the usage of arabic.. but most of the times if you know the khasiat of a baab you'll be right on target on deriving its meaning. u just need to know the meaning of the root i.e. the basic verb like if you know what kharaja means you'll easily convert it into other baabs.. this thing also comes with practice.

if u need any more assistance i'll be more than happy to help u.. u can add me on [email protected].. and if u understand urdu then it will be very nice and easy.
          Masha'Allah, may Allah swt bless you brother. Yes I do understand urdu...

Can you please type up the document (khasiat e baab) for me which I am sure it will benefit many people here also. May Allah swt reward you abundantly for your efforts....

Asif.

Comment

yes insha allah if the doc is not too long for u to type i think it will benefit a lot of people :up:
            .: Rufaida :.
            .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
            http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
            “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
            but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
            ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
            <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

i'll do it as soon as i can. first i have to translate it to english then i'll post it inshallah

Comment

Working...
              X