Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duolingo Arabic

Salaam everyone!

Duolingo has just recently released it's Arabic Learning Course for English speakers & it's completely free!

Link:
    https://www.duolingo.com/course/ar/en/Learn-Arabic
    الْحَمْد لله

Alhamdulilah sis, jazakallah khair
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

These apps and programs, they always give me unpleasant memories of when our teacher at the school we went to would be at his desk at the front of the class, wearing his thawb and with his hat on his head, getting us to read and translate Arabic phrases from inappropriate scenarios like... "Would you like to dance with me?" or "I am going to the discotheque" Because the recommended books for the exams were probably written by kuffaar.

:|
      LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
      -------------------------------------

​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post
        These apps and programs, they always give me unpleasant memories of when our teacher at the school we went to would be at his desk at the front of the class, wearing his thawb and with his hat on his head, getting us to read and translate Arabic phrases from inappropriate scenarios like... "Would you like to dance with me?" or "I am going to the discotheque" Because the recommended books for the exams were probably written by kuffaar.

:|
        I agree with what you are saying bro, but I think that these apps cater for people from all walks of life, meaning not everyone trying to learn Arabic will be Muslim, some will be kaffir business men/women making deals in Arab countries etc. So for these people (not Muslims) phrases like, "Would you like to dance with me?", are appropriate.

And to be honest, if you don't want to learn certain phrases, just remember them for the given end of topic test/exam, and then forget them, leaving only the appropriate phrases in your mind.

I'm not sure if this helps but, Duolingo Arabic was created using fluent Arabic speakers from countries like Egypt, so maybe these so-called inappropriate phrases will be at a minimum ??

Jazak Allah...
        P.S I hope my reply didn't come out as mean or snobby. Forgive me if it has.

الْحَمْد لله

Comment

Originally posted by Zainab View Post

I agree with what you are saying bro, but I think that these apps cater for people from all walks of life, meaning not everyone trying to learn Arabic will be Muslim, some will be kaffir business men/women making deals in Arab countries etc. So for these people (not Muslims) phrases like, "Would you like to dance with me?", are appropriate.

And to be honest, if you don't want to learn certain phrases, just remember them for the given end of topic test/exam, and then forget them, leaving only the appropriate phrases in your mind.

I'm not sure if this helps but, Duolingo Arabic was created using fluent Arabic speakers from countries like Egypt, so maybe these so-called inappropriate phrases will be at a minimum ??

Jazak Allah...
          P.S I hope my reply didn't come out as mean or snobby. Forgive me if it has.

​​​​​​
          It was a comment partly written with a bit of sardonicism, partly facetious, but also recalling something of a bitter(?) memory, but it's been taken quite seriously, so...

Yes, I'm well aware that these things are used by non-muslims.

I didn't say they were inappropriate for non-muslims, plenty of things a lot worse aren't inappropriate for many of them. They are though, to us as Muslims, especially to a 15/16 year old at the time learning Arabic in an Islamic school with a teacher who was also an imam.

Obviously uncomfortable. My comment is born from my memories of the school charging parents of unsuspecting Muslims a fortune under the guise their kids were receiving a Madrasah education as well as a secular one when in reality it was really the same as a state school with a bit of Islamic studies thrown in here and there with Muslim teachers and students.

After a couple of years they switched us over from learning fus-hah, studying ahadith to GCSEs and A level Arabic where we were having an imam go from translating ahadith to phrases like 'would you like to dance with me?' and 'I am going to the discotheque.'

It's really an allusion to the shameful nature of it.
          Sadly characteristic of many of us Muslims in the west with a watered down 'modern Muslim' mindset, with 'a good balance of Eastern and Western' culture, where we don't mind watching films and TV and sports involving all-ghair mahaarim and are happy to show our patriotism for kuffaar nations.

Ps. My reply probably does come across as snobby and mean but there's reason for me replying like this even though it's not normally in my nature to do so, and also, I believe, an important and overlooked point being made in this post, so forgive me if it does.
          Last edited by Fakhri-bin-Ali; 16-07-19, 06:04 AM.
          LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH

Comment

​​​​​​
            It was a comment partly written with a bit of sardonicism, partly facetious, but also recalling something of a bitter(?) memory, but it's been taken quite seriously, so...
            Yes, I'm well aware that these things are used by non-muslims.
            I didn't say they were inappropriate for non-muslims, plenty of things a lot worse aren't inappropriate for many of them. They are though, to us as Muslims, especially to a 15/16 year old at the time learning Arabic in an Islamic school with a teacher who was also an imam.
            Obviously uncomfortable. My comment is born from my memories of the school charging parents of unsuspecting Muslims a fortune under the guise their kids were receiving a Madrasah education as well as a secular one when in reality it was really the same as a state school with a bit of Islamic studies thrown in here and there with Muslim teachers and students.
            After a couple of years they switched us over from learning fus-hah, studying ahadith to GCSEs and A level Arabic where we were having an imam go from translating ahadith to phrases like 'would you like to dance with me?' and 'I am going to the discotheque.'
            It's really an allusion to the shameful nature of it.
            Sadly characteristic of many of us Muslims in the west with a watered down 'modern Muslim' mindset, with 'a good balance of Eastern and Western' culture, where we don't mind watching films and TV and sports involving all-ghair mahaarim and are happy to show our patriotism for kuffaar nations.
            Ps. My reply probably does come across as snobby and mean but there's reason for me replying like this even though it's not normally in my nature to do so, and also, I believe, an important and overlooked point being made in this post, so forgive me if it does.
            Salaam brother,
            I kinda feel bad now, but please dont think that I have taken your first post seriously, although I might have looked at your post the other way, only looking at it through one perspective.
            I get where you are coming from.
            Looking at this situation from your perspective put my initial thoughts to shame, and you're right, nowadays Islam has been modified and changed to suit the social and patriotic demands of this Western world. We pray, read Quran, go to mosque, but then go to parties, watch kaffir movies, and listen to music.

Unfortunately, even I am a victim to these kaffir acts, despite wanting to become an Alimah, I have a lot to work on.

Even subjects like Arabic are changed to suit the needs and wants of the West. It is truly a shame.

In your case as well as Islamic Schools here in New Zealand, Islam is being compromised. I have heard stories where religious scriptures are found in toilet bowls, Muslim students swearing and fighting without any punishment, as well as Muslim boys and girls dating. But unlike the UK, NZ doesn't have senior qualifications for Arabic, but from what I have heard about the other languages on offer, I'm pretty sure it will be the same as the UK if available.

Jazak Allah brother for shining light on this other possibility.

I also see what you did with the postscript (lol). Your reply was well within it's rights, the truth needs to be heard, no matter how bitter. So despite the 'toughness' of what you have said, it was needed.

Once again Jazak Allah.
            Last edited by Zainab; 16-07-19, 08:59 AM.
            الْحَمْد لله

Comment

I didn't realise sharing this link would be a cause for discussion, lol. But it was a well needed conversation and lesson for not only me, but the whole Ummah.
              الْحَمْد لله

Comment

Sr Zainab baarakallah feek for being gracious in reply. I came back on here to edit the post or delete it, but since it's been quoted there wouldn't be much point... There are far better ways to make these points and I shouldn't have responded in that manner, sister. The truth is I let my annoyances with other things (even if related) come out in a way that was uncalled for. 'afwan sister.
                LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH

Comment

Sr Zainab baarakallah feek for being gracious in reply. I came back on here to edit the post or delete it, but since it's been quoted there wouldn't be much point... There are far better ways to make these points and I shouldn't have responded in that manner, sister. The truth is I let my annoyances with other things (even if related) come out in a way that was uncalled for. 'afwan sister.
                  Don't worry about it brother. As I've said before the truth needs to be relayed even if it is bitter. You said and meant well so all is okay.

Jazak Allah bro
                  الْحَمْد لله

Comment

Working...
                  X