No announcement yet.

food for thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The world is 3 days: As for yesterday, it has vanished along with all that was in it. As for tomorrow, you may never see it. As for today, it is yours, so work on it."
    — Hasan Al-Basri (ra)
    The sunnah is like the ark of Noah, whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.
    ~ Imam Malik (may Allah have mercy on him)

Comment

• "The believer speaks little, but does much. And the hypocrite talks a lot, but does little. The believer's speech is wisdom, his silence is contemplation, his gaze is pondering, his actions are righteous. So if this is your state, you shall perpetually be in worship."- Fudayl bin Iyyad
      The sunnah is like the ark of Noah, whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.

Comment

• "All Muslims should be in the real estate business, trying to purchase as many palaces in Jannah as possible."

- Yawar Baig

Comment

• "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

• if you assume a grain of sand has an average size and you calculate how many grains are in a teaspoon and then multiply by all the beaches and deserts in the world, the Earth has roughly (and we're speaking veryroughly here) 7.5 x 1018 grains of sand, or seven quintillion, five hundred quadrillion grains.

That's a lot of grains.

OK, so how about stars? Well, to my amazement, it turns out that when you look up, even on a clear and starry night, you won't see very many stars. Blatner says the number is a low, low "several thousand," which gives the sand grain folks a landslide victory. But we're not limiting ourselves to what an ordinary stargazer can see.

Our stargazer gets a Hubble telescope and a calculator, so now we can count distant galaxies, faint stars, red dwarfs, everything we've ever recorded in the sky, and boom! Now the population of stars jumps enormously, to 70 thousand million, million, million stars in the observable universe (a 2003 estimate), so that we've got multiple stars for every grain of sand — which means, sorry, grains, you are nowhere near as numerous as the stars.

So that makes stars the champions of numerosity, no?

Ummm, no. This is when Blatner hits us with his sucker punch. Yes, he says, the number of stars in the heavens is "an unbelievably large number," but then, very matter-of-factly, he adds that you will find the same number of molecules "in just ten drops of water."

Say what?

Let me repeat: If you took 10 drops of water (not extra-big drops, just regular drops, I'm presuming) and counted the number of H2O molecules in those drops, you'd get a number equal to all the stars in the universe.

subhaAllah

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwic...ars-in-the-sky

Comment

• He whom Allah has predestined to enter Paradise, the reasons which will cause his entrance shall spring from calamities; and he whom Allah has predestined to enter the Hellfire, the reasons which will cause his entrance shall spring from lusts.” Ibn Al-Qayyim

Comment

• Do not resent the calamities that come and the disasters that occur; perhaps in something that you dislike will be your salvation, and perhaps in something that you prefer will be your doom.”- Hassan al Basri

Comment

• Verily my happiness is my Iman; and verily, my Iman is in my heart; and verily, my heart does not belong to anyone but Allah - Asmaa Bint Abi Bakr

Comment

• Say 'O 'Ibadi [My Slaves] who have transgressed against themselves [by committing evil sins] Despair not of the mercy of Allah, verily, Allah forgives all sins. Truly he Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Comment

• Abu Hurayrah (radhiyallahu 'anhu) was asked about taqwa. He said, "It is a road full of thorns. One who walks it needs to have extreme patience."

Comment

• If someone gave you a beautiful, expensive new hat, wouldn't you be grateful for the generous gift? But shouldn't you be even more grateful for THE One Who gave you the head to put that hat on?

Comment

• "When I pretend to be strong in front of the world, nobody sees my weaknesses, nobody sees my tears, except Allah,When I'm sad and I want a shoulder to cry on, nobody seems to notice my hidden tears or to support me but Allah. People sometimes punish me for the mistakes I have not done. Allah ignores & excuses the ones that I did.That's ALLAH ! The Greatest, The Almighty, The Most Beneficent, The Most Merciful." Unknown

Comment

• "Go easy on yourself, for the outcome of all affairs is determined by God's decree. If something is meant to go elsewhere, it will never come your way, but if it is your by destiny, from you it cannot flee." Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (RA)

Comment

• "Go easy on yourself, for the outcome of all affairs is determined by God's decree. If something is meant to go elsewhere, it will never come your way, but if it is your by destiny, from you it cannot flee." Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (RA)

Comment

• Amongst the signs of success at the end is the turning to Allah at the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                                X