X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slander & false accusations

Allah forgive us.

Slander & false accusations

Slander, and the making of false accusations, are considered to be major sins in Islam. This involves fabricating or spreading a lie about your brother (Muslim) in his absence.

The Messenger (peace be upon him) said:

"Do you know what is gheebah (Backbiting)? They said: "Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him) know best. He (peace be upon him) said, "Mentioning about your brother what he would hate (in his absence)'. It was said: 'What about if what I say about my brother is true?' He (peace be upon him) said: "If in him is what you say you would have backbited him, and if it is not in him. then he is slandered (Buhtaan)."

[Muslim]

Of course, slander is a more heinous sin than backbiting, since it involves not only backbiting but also lying with intent to maliciously dishonor a Muslim.

The Messenger (peace be upon him) also said: "...And whoever knowingly argues uselessly, Allah will continue to be angry with Him until he refrains from it, and whoever says about a believer, that which is not in him Allah will house him in a mill of the people of the fire of Jahannam until he leaves off what he said ..."

[Abu Dawood, Al-Haakim & others]

Some of the punishment for backbiting and slandering are:

1. They are both major sins in Islam, and the one who does not cease from it and repent, would be punished severely in the grave. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "...On the night that I was taken (to Jerusalem and up to the heavens), I saw a set of people who were (being punished by) taking their own finger-nails (which were long and metallic) and scraping the flesh of their own faces (and eating it). When I asked Jibreel about them, he said: 'these are people who used to be engaged in backbiting'."
    [Ibn Abi Duniya- Kitaab Al-Ghiba wan Nameemah]

Ibn 'Abbaas, may Allah be pleased with him, said, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) passed by two graves and said: 'The inhabitants of (these graves) are being punished for major sins; one of them used to engage in slandering others..."

[Al-Bukhari Vol. 2 Pg. 259]

2. Whoever backbites or slanders, Allah, the Most High vows to expose their faults. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "O you who believe with your tongue and not your hearts, do not seek after the faults of Muslims, nor pry into their mistakes or downfalls. For whoever amongst you will investigate the mistakes of Muslims, then Allah will go after his mistakes and expose him, even if that mistake was committed (secretly) in the privacy of his house."

[Ibn Abi Duniya- Kitaab Al-Ghiba wan Nameemah]
    "Closer and closer to mankind comes their Reckoning: yet they heed not and they turn away" (21:1)

" How can the one who chooses a hour of Haraam pleasure, above the eternal pleasure of Jannah, ever be considered as sane? "
    -Ibn Al Qayyim

Beneficial Database of Islamic Books and Media: www.Islamhouse.com
    Interested in Islam : www.islamreligion.com ; www.islam-guide.com

Re: Slander & false accusations

:salams

Good post.

:jkk: for the reminder :up:

Comment

Working...
    X