• Show
Clear All

• Mohammad Hijab Interviews Yasir Qadhi

Racism issues [01:00 - 09:11]

Experiences with the Madkhalis [9:12 - 58:22]

Clarifying his statements regarding the Hudood [58:25 - 1:16:52]

Preservation of the Quran [1:16:55 - 1:38:49]

How should a beginner student learn? [1:38:50 - 1:41:02]

I am going to share this to my blog, for fairness sake as this is his reply and I shared the allegations against him re the hudud contraversy but that was incredibly hard to listen to. I agree with Muhammad Hijab, there is definately some leeway to see his meaning was something else in some of these matters, and we should give some benefit of the doubt.

But it was so difficult to get to what he was saying for all the bigging up of his own knowledge, and belittling of anyone who disagreed with him, it seemed such a massive over reaction, far more OTT than his usual 'with the greatest of respect' before he goes and says something with the total opposite meaning.

'Yes, Yasir we get you are skilled in speaking, you don't need to mention it again!'
    but that to me came across more as sophistry, like a politician in defensive mode, trying to shore up his base than talk around those who oppose him.

The arrogance of the man is too much almost, I have sat with scholars of both deobandi and salafi leanings and it beggers belief he studies with such great man and came out this way. Maybe he has been listening to the madkhali refutations of himself too much and picked up their manners and decided to add it to his 'post-athari' aqeedah and his manhaj of post-Yale western Islam.

I will certainly be leaving off him as a teacher, as he states should be done if you find someone to be questionable.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

salam alaykum wa rahmat allah
      i used to watch alot of hes videos and follow him but i imediatly stoped after i was that video . no matter where you are or who you are speaking with you need to be clear about islam and not shy out nothing in islam is bizzare unless you ignorant about it and those people he was with would of understand more if he explained properly rather than saying bizzare and problematic wich gives enemies of islam more opportunities to attack it . imagine if some atheist saw that video and you are doing dawah to him he will keep referring to that statement and even if you explain it he will be like so a random dude like you knows more than yasir qadhi ? there is a diffrence between carrying knowledge and being knowledgable a book carry knowledge but it not knowledgable
      it would of being way better if he just apologies and say i expressesd myself poorly and i apologies that would of ended this issue
      i remenber where i was the only muslim talking with bunch of atheists about hudud on gay sex i didnt shy out and i tried my best to make it clear for them to explain the circumstances without trying to be shy or apologetic one of them started to say i am an extremest and throw bunch of accusations and went away while the others kept listening and after i was done answering their questions nobody had an objection im not very knowledgable but allah subhanahu wa talaa granted me tawfiq .the problem is not in islam the problem is in ignorance

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
        I am going to share this to my blog, for fairness sake as this is his reply and I shared the allegations against him re the hudud contraversy but that was incredibly hard to listen to. I agree with Muhammad Hijab, there is definately some leeway to see his meaning was something else in some of these matters, and we should give some benefit of the doubt.

But it was so difficult to get to what he was saying for all the bigging up of his own knowledge, and belittling of anyone who disagreed with him, it seemed such a massive over reaction, far more OTT than his usual 'with the greatest of respect' before he goes and says something with the total opposite meaning.

'Yes, Yasir we get you are skilled in speaking, you don't need to mention it again!'
        but that to me came across more as sophistry, like a politician in defensive mode, trying to shore up his base than talk around those who oppose him.

The arrogance of the man is too much almost, I have sat with scholars of both deobandi and salafi leanings and it beggers belief he studies with such great man and came out this way. Maybe he has been listening to the madkhali refutations of himself too much and picked up their manners and decided to add it to his 'post-athari' aqeedah and his manhaj of post-Yale western Islam.

I will certainly be leaving off him as a teacher, as he states should be done if you find someone to be questionable.
        What confused me was how did his statement regarding Hadd punishments even become a story in the first place. That clip is from 4-5 years ago. It's as if these people are sitting around watching his old films and looking for a mistake to say "Ha! We finally got him! This should settle the matter". All the while the evidences they use are taken out of context and makes them look desperate and unsophisticated.

But at the end of the day I understand where their frustrations are coming from. Yasir Qadhi is a legitimate threat to the Najdi Da'wah and contemporary Salafism, at least in the West. I personally don't like his use of "post-Atharism", however, I'm going to be patient until he publishes his book on Salafism before I cast my judgement.

I don't think it was wise for Mohammad Hijab to bring up the issue of the Quran in this setting. The community polls he's referring to are taken from the votes of his YouTube followers. This clip is already being used by Christian missionaries to spread doubts and misrepresent the Isnad tradition. It would have been better for him to probe Yasir Qadhi on Atharism and why he's not an Ash'ari after leaving Salafism.

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

What confused me was how did his statement regarding Hadd punishments even become a story in the first place. That clip is from 4-5 years ago. It's as if these people are sitting around watching his old films and looking for a mistake to say "Ha! We finally got him! This should settle the matter". All the while the evidences they use are taken out of context and makes them look desperate and unsophisticated.

But at the end of the day I understand where their frustrations are coming from. Yasir Qadhi is a legitimate threat to the Najdi Da'wah and contemporary Salafism, at least in the West. I personally don't like his use of "post-Atharism", however, I'm going to be patient until he publishes his book on Salafism before I cast my judgement.

I don't think it was wise for Mohammad Hijab to bring up the issue of the Quran in this setting. The community polls he's referring to are taken from the votes of his YouTube followers. This clip is already being used by Christian missionaries to spread doubts and misrepresent the Isnad tradition. It would have been better for him to probe Yasir Qadhi on Atharism and why he's not an Ash'ari after leaving Salafism.
          Correction: The clip is being used to reinforce the "different Qurans" narrative and not necessarily an attack at the Isnad tradition as a whole. In any case, it was silly to bring up this issue without offering a detailed academic response. We don't just want to have faith in the preservation of the Quran- we want to articulate that to our opponents with confidence. Either give us what we need for that or don't bring it up at all.

Comment

Mohammad Hijab and Shaykh Ahmed Kemal on the Quran's preservation:

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
              It would have been better for him to probe Yasir Qadhi on Atharism and why he's not an Ash'ari after leaving Salafism.
              YQ has mentioned in a previous discussion that he's "moved on" from the traditional schools of Aqeedah. However, he still affirms the Attributes of Allah and believes that this was the Madhhab of the Salaf. He's also repeatedly admitted that he still largely sympathizes with Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah.

What I would be interested in finding out is what are his exact views on the theological development within the Athari school. How much legitimacy does he give to the scholars who leaned towards Tafwid (in the Ash'ari-inclined sense) and why did he not adopt that approach "post-Atharism"? Guess we'll have to wait for the book to find out.

Comment

Working...
              X