Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Book of Assistance (Imam 'Abdullah ibn 'Alawi Al-Haddad)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book of Assistance (Imam 'Abdullah ibn 'Alawi Al-Haddad)

(Bismillah-ir-Rahmaan-ir-Raheem)

(Note: To the brothers and sisters who may wish to discuss the author's (RA) background, 'aqeedah, etc, I request you to kindly and respectfully post in a separate thread for that purpose, inshaaAllah.

Jaza'aakumullah khair)

Click image for larger version  Name:	9781872038018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.8 KB ID:	12572372
    Last edited by Fakhri; 02-08-18, 10:19 PM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

TRANSLATOR'S PREFACE

The Messenger of God, may blessings and peace be upon him and upon his family, prophesied that in every century God would raise up amongst his nation a man who would renew its religion. Imam 'Abdalläh al-Haddad was the renewer, or Mujaddid, of the twelfth Islamic century. He was renowned and deservedly so, for the breadth of his knowledge and his manifest sanctity. The profundity of his influence on Muslims is reflected by the fact that his books are still in print through out the Islamic world.

He was born in Tarim, in the hills of Hadramaut, one of the southerly regions of the Arabian peninsula, and grew up in an environment where the accent was upon piety, frugality, erudition, and an uncompromising thirst for gnosis [ma rifa]. His lineage is traced back to the Prophet, may blessings and peace be upon him, and his family, through Imam al-Husayn. His illustrious ancestors, the Alawi sadat, had for centuries produced generation after generation of great scholars, gnostics, and summoners to the Straight Path.

Imam al-Haddad's writings, if we except a few short treatises, and his volume of poetry, are mostly concerned with establishing within his readers the firmest possible foundations for faith and certainty. He recognised the signs of his times, and of the times to come, and observed how people were drawing away from religion, exhibiting a reluctance to study and a diminishing inclination to seek spiritual growth. He therefore endeavoured to produce concise, clear, and uncontroversial texts. His concern for brevity is manifest throughout his books, many of which are abbreviated adaptations of Imam al-Ghazāli's monumental Revival of the Religious Sciences (Ihya Uloom alDin). Ghazali had himself been the renewer of the sixth century.

Imam al-Haddad died on the eve of the seventh of Dhil Qa'da, 1132 AH, having spent his life bringing people to their Lord through his oral and written teaching, and his exemplary life. He was buried in a simple grave in the cemetery at Tarim.

The present translation is one of the works which he designed as guides for Muslims who earnestly desire to tread the path of the Afterlife', and seriously follow the Sunna of the Prophet, may blessings and peace be upon him and his family

In the original there are neither chapter numbers, titles, nor annotations. We have therefore numerated and titled every chapter, appended a glossary, and added a few notes where this seemed appropriate. Quotations from the Qur'an are based on Pickthall's translation, and are followed by sura and verse numbers.

Whenever difficulties arose in understanding the text, or deciding between different possible interpretations, the help of sayyid Ahmad Mashhür al-Haddad was sought. Being the spiritual heir of Imam al-Haddad, he is undoubtedly the best qualified person to comment on his writings. ​​​​​​​​It is through their baraka and assistance that the work was brought to completion; may God reward them on our behalf as befits the exaltation of their spiritual rank.

MOSTAFA AL-BADAWI
    Al-Madina al-Munawwara,
    Ramadan 1408

LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)

Comment

CONTENTS

Introduction (1)

1 On Certainty (7)
      2 On Intention (10)
      3 On Vigilance (13)
      4 On the Inner and the Outer Self (15)
      5 On Regular Devotions (17)
      6 On Reciting the Qur'an (24)
      7 On Acquiring Knowledge (26)
      8 On Remembrance (28)
      9 On Reflection (31)
      10 On Following the Book and Sunnah (36)

11 On Doctrine (40)
      12 On Religious Obligations (43)
      13 On Cleanliness (47)
      14 On Following the Sunna (51)
      15 On Conduct in Mosques (60)
      16 On the Ritual Prayer (62)
      17 On Prayer in Congregation (64)
      18 On Zakät (68)
      19 On Fasting (71)
      20 On Pilgrimage (74)
      21 On Scrupulousness (77)
      22 On Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil (82)

23 On Social Duties (86)
      24 On Kindness and Charity (90)
      25 On Counsel (97)
      26 On Salutations and a Salutary Opinion (101)

27 On Repentance, Hope and Fear (105)
      28 On Fortitude (111)
      29 On Gratitude (115)
      30 On Renunciation (117)
      31 On Reliance on God (120)
      32 On Divine Love and Contentment (123)

Conclusion (128)
      Translator's Notes (135)
      LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

THE BOOK OF
        ASSISTANCE, SUPPORT AND
        ENCOURAGEMENT
        FOR SUCH BELIEVERS AS DESIRE
        TO FOLLOW THE WAY OF THE
        AFTERLIFE

In the Name of God, the Merciful and Compassionate.

​​​​​
        Lord, make it easy and give assistance, O Generous One! Grant us truth for You are the One Who Grants, the Knowing,
        Transcendent are You! We have no knowledge save that which You have taught us, You are indeed the Knowing, the Wise.

ALL PRAISE BELONGS TO GOD, the One, the Unique, the Munificent, the Bestower, the Provider, the Solicitous, the Benevolent, Who did send Muhammad, the Seal of His Prophets, with His Message to all men and jinn, and revealed to him the Qur'an in which is guidance for the people and clear indications for guidance and discemment, and ordained for him and his Nation that which He had enjoined upon Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus, and gave precedence to his religion over all others, and made him the most honourable of all His creation in His sight, and rendered his nation the best nation brought out for mankind, which believed in God and the Last Day. enjoined good and forbade evil, assisted each other in benevolence and taqua, refrained from helping each other in sin and aggression, established the ritual prayer, gave the zakat, gave each other counsels of truth and fortitude, and fought in the way of God, fearless of the criticism of those who are devious and forsaken. For only those in whom God's words of wretchedness, failure, disgrace and humiliation were fulfilled attempt to drive people away from God and denigrate those who give Him His due. And only those whom God has destined for happiness, safety, triumph and felicity give themselves totally
        LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

to counselling God's servants and inviting them to His door. These are the Prophet's heirs, the leaders of those who have taqwa, the best among believers in the sight of the Lord of the Worlds. They are firmly grounded in knowledge, have experienced the realities of faith, certainty and excellence, and attained, through unveiling and contemplation, to the secrets of God's Mulk and Malakut. They only attained to these merits and achieved such ranks through the excellence of following in the footsteps of the Leader of Leaders whom God sent as a Mercy to the Worlds, who is God's slave, His Messenger, Beloved, and Intimate Friend, our lord Muhammad may blessings and peace be upon him and his house, and may these blessings be repeated in each instant and perpetuated for as long as God, the Sovereign, the Requiter abides.

To proceed; the poor servant, confessing his shortcomings and limitations, hoping for the pardon of his Able Lord, the sharif 'Abd Alläh ibn 'Alawi al-Haddad Ba- Alawi al-Husayni, may God forgive him and his ancestors, says: This treatise which, by God's Ability and Power, is comprehensive, containing counsels which, by God's Grace and Mercy will be beneficial. I was moved to write it by the wish to obey the command of God and that of His Prophet, and the desire for that which has been truthfully promised to those who give guiding directions, invite to goodness and spread knowledge.

God the Exalted has said: Let there be among you a community who invite to goodness, enjoin right conduct, and forbid evil; those are the successful. [III:104] Summon to the way of your Lord with wisdom and fair exhortation. [XXI:125] Say: This is my way summon to God, clear-sightedly, I and whoever follows me [XII:108]

The Messenger of God, may blessings and peace be upon him, has said: 'Let those who are present inform those who absent; a carrier of knowledge may carry it to someone who has more knowledge than he, and many men carry knowledge who are not themselves knowledgeable.' And: 'Anyone who summons to guidance will receive the same reward as those who follow him, without this diminishing their reward in any
          LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

way; and anyone who summons to error will have sinned as much as all those who follow him without this diminishing their sins in any way.' And: 'The one who points out goodness obtains the same reward as the one who does it.' And: 'When the son of Adam dies his works come to an end except for three: a continuing charity, knowledge of which use is made and a righteous son who prays for him.' And: 'The most generous of you after me wil be a man who acquires knowledge and spreads it; he will be resurrected on the Day of Rising as a nation by himself.' And: 'All creatures pray for the one
            who teaches goodness, even the fish in the water.' And: 'All creatures are the children of God, and the dearest to God are those who are most beneficial to His children.' And none can be of more benefit to God's creatures than those who invite them to His door by teaching them the necessary knowledge of Tawhid [Monotheism] and obedience, remind them of His signs and graces, give them tidings of His Mercy and warnings of His wrath which strikes those who expose themselves to it, whether they be disbelievers or merely transgressors.

I was prompted to obey this formidable command and was reinforced in my wish to attain to the generous promise given in the aforementioned verses and hadiths, as well as others which I have not mentioned, by a truthfully aspiring brother, a sayyid who treads the path to felicity, who asked me to write to him with a counsel to which he might firmly adhere. I have answered him through the aforementioned desire to obey His commands, win His reward, and obtain His assistance, hoping that He (Exalted is He) will attend to my needs, as His messenger, may blessings and peace be upon him, has said: Whenever a man attends to the fulfilling of his brother's need God shall attend to the fulfilling of his need; and God will assist His servant as long as the servant is assisting his brother.

I seek God's forgiveness, and do not claim that my intention ın writing this treatise is confined to these good religious purposes; how may I do so when I am aware of the hidden desires, egotistic passions, and worldly wishes that I harbour? I do not claim innocence to myself; the ego is indeed an inciter to evil,

LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

save when my Lord shows mercy; my Lord is indeed Forgiving, Merciful. The ego is an enemy, and an enemy should never be trusted. It is in effect the worst of enemies, as the Messenger of God, may blessings and peace be upon him, has said: Your worst enemy is your ego which is between your flanks. How inspired is the verse of the poet:
              Beware of your ego, and trust not its mischief
              The ego is worse than seventy devils.

O God! I seek Your protection against my committing idolatry [shirk] knowingly, and Your forgiveness for that of which I am not aware!

I have begun each chapter in this treatise by saying: You must do such-and-such a thing" this being addressed particularly to my own self, my brother who was the cause for writing the treatise, and generally to every Muslim who reads it. This expression has an effect on the heart of those it is addressed to, and I hope that, having used it, I will escape the reproaches and threats directed against those who say but do not do, and who know but do not act. For if I address myself saying: You must do this!'

This indicates that the thing has not yet become a reality through my practicing of that and that I am still at the stage of prompting myself to practicing what I preach. In this manner, I will neither be deceiving the believers, nor forgetting myself, for this is how God has described those who have no understanding: Do you incite peaple to goodness and forget yourselves, and you recite the Book? Have you no understanding? (II:44) And I will thus be saved from the threats directed at those who speak but do not act, as in the words of the Messenger of God, may blessings and peace be upon him: 'A scholar ['älim] will be ordered to the Fire; his entrails will spill out and he will drag them along as he moves round the Fire, just like a donkey turning in a mill. The people in the Fire will gather around him and say: "Why does this repudiated man make us suffer more than we do already?" And he will say: "This repudiate enjoined good but did not do It, and forbade evil but committed it."
              Last edited by Fakhri; 04-08-18, 04:17 PM.
              LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

And: When I was made to journey by night I passed by men whose lips were clipped with scissors of fire. I asked: "Who are you? and they said: "We enjoined good and did not do it and forbade evil and committed it. These threats come true for those who summon to God when their real intention is to acquire the things of this world and who exhort to good but persistently abandon it, who warn against evil but persistently commit it, who fall into ostentation and wish to make a reputation for themselves.

As for those who summon others to God's door while upbraiding their own selves, forbidding them to be neglectful, and exhorting them to show zeal, it is to be hoped that they will be saved. Anyway, the one who knows and teaches [what he knows] but does not practice is in a better state, a wiser way. and has a safer outcome than the one who knows, but neither practices nor teaches.

A man of little understanding may perhaps say: 'There is already a sufficient abundance of books, there is no benefit in compiling new ones in this age.' Such a man would be correct insofar as books are indeed abundant and should be sufficient, but not in saying that no benefit is to be gained from compiling further books now. People's hearts are naturally attracted to everything new, and God gives them at each time knowledge clothed in the form best suited to the age.

Books reach distant places and survive the scholar's death, who receives the merit of spreading knowledge and is accounted by God among teachers and summoners to Him, even after he has entered his grave. As the Messenger of God, may blessings and peace be upon him, has said: "The one whose tongue gives life to a virtue that those who come after him practice conceives its reward until the Day of Rising.'

I have called the treatise The Book of Assistance, Support, and encouragemernt for such Believers as Desire to Follow the Way of the Afterlife.

I ask God to make me and all other believers benefit from it and to render my compilation of it purely for the sake of His Noble Countenance.
                Last edited by Fakhri; 06-08-18, 04:40 AM.
                LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

It is now time to begin. Success is from God; I seek His help, depend on Him entirely, and ask Him to grant me success in being correct in my intentions and deeds. He is Guardian of this and Able; He is my sufficiency, and He is the Best of Patrons
                  LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

Chapter 1 - On Certainty

You must, beloved brother, strengthen and improve your certainty. For when certainty prevails in the heart and establishes itself therein the unseen becomes as if seen and the man aided by providence says, as 'Ali, may God ennoble his face, said: 'Were the cover to be removed, I would not increase in certainty.'

Certainty is power, firmness and stability of faith so great that it becomes as a towering mountain which no doubts can shake and no illusions rock. Rather, doubts and illusions disappear completely, and when they come from outside are neither listened to by the ear nor heeded by the heart. The Devil cannot approach the possessor of such certainty; he flees from him, fears his very shadow, and is content to keep at a safe distance. As the Messenger of God, may blessings and peace be upon him, has said: Satan is afraid of the shadow of Umar, and 'Umar never takes a road but that Satan takes another.

Certainty derives its power and excellence from many things. The first, most essential and pivotal of these is that the servant listen attentively with his heart as well as his ears to verses and hadiths relating to God, His Majesty, Perfection, Magnitude, and Grandeur, His Uniqueness in creating and deciding, ruling and compelling; likewise to the truthfulness and perfection of the Messengers, the miracles they were aided with, and the sundry chastisements which befell those who opposed them. That these are sufficient to bring about certainty is indicated by His Word (Exalted is He!): Is it not enough for them that We have sent down upon you the Book which is recited to them? [XXIX:51]

​​​​​​
                    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

Chapter 1 - On Certainty

The second is to learn from looking at the kingdom of the heavens and the earth, and the wondrous and astounding creatures that God made them teem with. That this brings about certainty is indicated by His saying (Exalted is He): We shall show them Our signs on the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that it is the Truth. [XLI:53]

The third is to behave according to what one believes outwardly and inwardly, zealously, and to the limits of one's resources. That this brings about certainty is indicated by His saying (Exalted is He!): Those who strive in Us, We shall surely guide them to Our ways. [XXIX:69]

Proper certainty results in, among many other things, acquiescence in God's promise, confidence in what He has guaranteed, turning to God with pure longing, abandoning all things which distract from Him, continuously returning to Him in all circumstances, and spending all one's energy in seeking His good pleasure.

In sum, certainty is the essential thing, and all other noble ranks, praiseworthy traits of character and good works are its branches and results.

Virtues and actions are strong or weak, sound or unsound, according to the strength or otherwise of certainty. Luqman, upon whom be peace, said: Action is possible only in the presence of certainty; a servant acts in obedience only to extent that he has certainty, and a man becomes neglectful in his actions only when his certainty diminishes.' This is why the Messenger of God, may blessings and peace be upon him has said: 'Certainty is the whole of faith.'

Believers have three degrees of certainty. The first is that of the People of the Right Hand, this is firm belief but with the possibility of becoming doubtful or shaky under certain circumstances. This is called faith.

The second is that of the Ones Brought Nigh, which is the possession of the heart by faith and it's establishing of itself therein so firmly that it's opposite becomes no longer possible or even imaginable. In this degree the unseen becomes as the seen. This is called certainty.
                      Last edited by Fakhri; 08-08-18, 05:45 AM.
                      LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

Chapter 1 - On Certainty

The third is that of the Prophets and the True Saints [siddiqiin] who are their perfect heirs. Here the unseen becomes seen, which thing is called unveiling [kashf] and contemplation [mushahada].

There are grades within each degree: all are good, but some better than others. That is God's grace, He bestows it upon whom He will, and God's grace is abundant. [LVII:29]
                        LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

Chapter 2 - On Intention

You must, O my brother, improve the soundness and sincerity of your intentions, examine them, and reflect well upon them before embarking on your actions. For intentions are the bases of deeds; according to them your deeds will either be good or ugly, sound or unsound. The Prophet has said, may blessings and peace be upon him: "Deeds are only according to intentions; each man has that which he intended.

You must, therefore, utter no word, do no action, and decide no matter without the intention of drawing nearer thereby to God and seeking the reward He has assigned, through His beneficence and grace, to the intended act. And know that drawing nearer to Him can only be done through the obligatory and supererogatory devotions that He has indicated through His Messenger, may blessings and peace be upon him.

A sincere intention may change the merely licit into the devotional, for means are judged according to their ends. For example, one may eat to get the strength to perform devotions, or sleep with one's wife to obtain a son who would worship God.

It is a condition of the sincere intention that behaviour does not belie it. For instance, a man who seeks knowledge claiming that his intention is to practice and teach it will be proved insincere in his intention if, when he becomes able to, he does not do so. Or a man who pursues the world and claims that he is doing so only that he may be independant of other people able be to give charity to the needy and help his relatives will be proved ineffectual in his intentions should he not do so when able.
                          LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

Working...
                          X