Belief of Hanbalis / Atharis (past) vs "Salafis"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by maturidee View Post
    And it was said to Imaam Ahmad bin Hanbal, "So and so says that when Allaah created the letters, they all prostrated except the Alif, which said, 'I shall not prostrate until I am commanded'." He replied, "This is disbelief."

So he showed rejection against the one who said letters are created, because if the genus of letters are created it is necessary that the Arabic
    Qur'aan and the Hebrew Tawraat and other than them are created.

Alsof it is related from him (Ahmad bin Hanbal) that he said, "
    Whoever said a letter from the letters of the alphabet is created then he is a Jahmite because he has traversed a path towards innovation, and whoever said that (the letter) is created then he has said that the Qur'aan is created."

And Ahmad as well as others from the Imaams have explicitly stated that Allaah has never ceased speaking when He wills and He made it clear that Allaah speaks with His will.
    These quotes from Imam Ahmad aren't authentic.
    My Blog ---> Reflections of the Traveler http://baraka.wordpress.com

Comment

• Originally posted by aMuslimForLife View Post

These quotes from Imam Ahmad aren't authentic.
      Brother just leave it. He's not going to accept and it will just harm you in the end.

Trust in Allah to guide them.

It was narrated from Ibn 'Umar that:

The Messenger of Allah said: "Whoever seeks knowledge in order to argue with the foolish, or to show off before the scholars, or to attract people's attention, will be in Hell."

- Sunan Ibn Majah Vol. 1, Book 1, Hadith 253; Also in Sunan at-Tirmidhi from Ka'b Ibn Malik. Hadith suitable to quote.
      Narrated Abu Umamah:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said: I guarantee a house in the surroundings of Paradise for a man who avoids quarrelling even if he were in the right, a house in the middle of Paradise for a man who avoids lying even if he were joking, and a house in the upper part of Paradise for a man who made his character good.

- Sunan Abi Dawud 4800; And according to the Riwayah in Ibn Majah, the house you get for leaving argument is in the middle of Jannah, and it's a palace not a house.
      aMuslimForLife, is the brother you are arguing with knowledgeable or ignorant?

I don't doubt the intention with which you sought knowledge. We have to realise that this is what Shaytan wants, if he can't misguide you with false beliefs then when you get correct beliefs he will make you argue with the ignorant and push them away from the truth with your argumentation. Because the ignorant one doesn't listen to arguments, he's arguing just to prove he's right, just as we are. You're not a person of authority so he doesn't even care to listen to you (yes the blind-following mindset is bad, but its a reality for most).

This is not seeking the truth, this is only seeking destruction.

The person on the truth shows wisdom, and follows the Prophet Alayhis Salam's Sunnah at all times. And if he faults he will Insha'Allah always receive wise council. There are times for debate, according to the Sunnah of the Sahabah (such as Ibn Abbas Radiyallahu Anhu) and those righteous after them, but this is not the time. You've provided them with all they need to hear, just step away now and win in the sight of Allah. Forget what people think and go with Allah. If he chooses to continue to attack, belittle the scholars etc. then Allah will deal with him in His most excellent way. Allah records their sayings and knows what is in their hearts and our hearts. We don't need to worry anymore.

Pick that house/palace in Jannah brother. Show you are better than him, pick Allah Azza Wa Jal and his reward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abu Sulayman View Post
        Two persons who need to be ignored in this thread:

- The dishonest troll who for some reason is also a mod. Note that this guy asked me the very same question before (regarding translating the divine attributes and so on) and I answered his question. Ignore him and don't feed the troll.
        - The other guy worships a being with a size and this being maybe even found on the back of mosquitos! This guy is only good at copy-pasting off-topic things and thereby polluting this ththrea
        ​​
        Abu Sulayman why don't you be honest and mention also what i mean with it, i explained it.

And about the mosquito issue, the one who ever said it, said it in regards of the Mightyness of the Exalted.
        Is this your ahlaaq of being honest?

Comment

• Originally posted by Muhammad Hasan View Post
          Allah records their sayings and knows what is in their hearts and our hearts.
          As per ashaari aqidah you have ascribed hawaadith for Allaah with this saying about recording.

Comment

• Originally posted by aMuslimForLife View Post

This thread is about how Mainstream Hanbalis (Athari-Hanbalis) differ with modern Salafis in matters of Aqida both claim to be the inheritors of the creed of Salafus Saleh.

Understanding where Salafis and Hanbalis differ:

Salafis actively affirm Tashbih for Allah and His Attributes

Salafis trace their creed back to Ibn Taymiyyah. Ibn Taymiyyah and the late-Salafi scholar Ibn Uthaymeen teach that the correct creed is to affirm the dhahir that entails tashbih (a degree similarity or resemblance Allah and His creation).

Ibn Uthaymeen said, “To negate Tashbih (resemblance) in its entirety is not correct, because there are no two things among entities or attributes, except that they share something together between them. This commonality is a type of resemblance. If you, therefore, negate Tashbih absolutely, you are (by that) negating everything wherein there is a form of resemblance between the Creator and the creature. For example, existence: Both the Creator and the creature primarily share this together.” (Ibn Uthaymeen -Sharh Aqida Wasatiyyah)

Ibn Taymiyyah said, "One may say that there must be a guideline in this area by which it can be known what is permissible for Allah and impermissible for Him in affirmation and negation. Relying upon mere negation of resemblance (tashbih) or an unrestricted affirmation without resemblance is unsound. That is because there are no two things except that they have a shared portion (qadr mushtarak) between them as well as that which sets them apart." [Risala al Tadmuriyya li Ibn Taymiyyah]

Hanbalis oppose tashbih and make tafwid

Mainstream Hanbalis trace their creed back to Ibn Qudamah.

Ibn Qudamah said, "Everything that has come in the Quran and that is authentically narrated from al Mustafa concerning the Attributes of al Rahman; it is obligatory to have faith in it and receive it with submission and total acceptance. We must abandon opposing it with rejection (al radd), false interpretation (Tawil), similarity (tashbih) and likening (tamthil). As for what appears unclear, then we are obligated to affirm the wording and abandoning seeking its meaning." (Lumat al Itiqad)

Imam Ahmad said, "We believe in it, attest to it, without how and without meaning." Ibn Qudamah presents this quote from Imam Ahmad as a proof.

Ibn Qudamah clearly negates tashbih, while Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn Uthaymeen actively affirm Tashbih. I say actively affirm tashbih, because there is a difference between being accused of tashbih and actively affirming it. Salafis actively affirm tashbih.

Tashbih is NOT the Creed of the Salaf

Imam Tahawi said, “Imaginations cannot attain Him; comprehensions cannot perceive Him. Creatures do not bear any similarity (tashbih) to Him.” (Aqida Tahawi)

Nuaym b Hammad, the Shaykh of Al Bukhari, may Allah have mercy upon them said, "Whoever draws a resemblance between Allah and His creation has disbelieved, and whosoever denies what Allah has described Himself with has also disbelieved - there is no similarity (tashbih) or likeness (tamthil) in that with which Allah or His Messenger have described Him." [Sharh Risala al Tadmuriyya]

"Ibn Wahb says, I heard Malik say, "Whoever recites "The Hand of Allah" (3:73)(5:64)(48:10)(57:29) and indicates his hand or recites "The eye of Allah" (20:39)(11:37)(23:27)(52:48)(54:14) and indicates that organ of his: let it be cut off to disciple him over Divine Sacredness and Transcendence above what he has compared Him to, and above his own comparison to Him. Both his life and the limb he compared to Allah are cut off." (Ibn al Arabi al Maliki, Ahkam al Quran)

Imam Ahmad said, "Whoever moves his hand while reciting the verse, "I created with both My Hands" (38:75) or gestures with his fingers when narrating the hadith, "The heart of the believer is between two fingers of the Merciful," cut their hands or fingers off!" (Al Shahrastani, Al Milal Wal Nihal)

Ishaaq ibn Ibraheem ar-Raahawaih said: tashbih is when one says, "Hand like my hand, or similar to my hand", or it is said: "Hearing like my Hearing, or similar to my hearing", then this is tashbih. But if what is being said is what Allah has said: Hand, Hearing, Seeing and it is not asked how, nor does he say: "Like my hearing, or similar to my hearing" - then it is not tashbih. Allaah, the Most Blessed, Most High, said in His Book (ash-Shooraa 42:11): There is none like unto Him, and he is the all-Hearing, the all-Seeing

Compare that with Ibn Uthaymeen statement
            when he said, I said, " If you say, 'What is the image of Allah in which Adam is created?' We reply, "Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, has a Face, an Eye, Hand and Foot, the Mighty and Sublime, but it is not imperative that these be like that of humans. While there is a form of similarity (al Shabih - tashbih), but it is not likening (Mumathala), as there is a similarity between the first group to enter Paradise and the moon but without being the same." (Ibn Uthaymeen -Sharh Aqida Wasatiyyah)

Ask a Salafi this, how is tashbih the creed of the Salaf?

How?

Ask them to quote a single scholar from the Salaf, actively affirming tashbih, in the way that Ibn Uthaymeen and Ibn Taymiyyah have. And they won't be able to do it. They will give you a philosophical answer as to why tashbih is the creed of the Salaf. No solid proof.

After they give you this philosophical answer, ask them, how can you be Athari, when you cannot provide a single Athar from the Salaf proving tashbih?

One of their arguments is. We can't negate Tashbih completely, because that is what Asharis do and their creed is based on ilm al Kalam.

If you say, there are Hanbalis who negated tashbih, they will argue that these Hanbalis were influenced by Asharis or forced by Ashari authorities to change their creed.

This baseless argument is refuted by the fact that Ibn Qudamah actively opposed the Asharis, and at the same time, negated tashbih for Allah. Actively said not to delve into the meanings. And quotes Imam Ahmad
            "We believe in it, attest to it, without how and without meaning."

Ask them to provide an authentic narration from Imam Ahmad actively affirming tashbih.

And Allah knows best.
            So isn't that essentially anthropomorphism? As in attributing human like features to Allah SWT?

Isn't Allah unlike his creation (surah ikhas) and something we can't even imagine? As he is the most high SWT
            I'm just trying to gain an understanding, Im just a layman

Comment

• Originally posted by Abu Sulayman View Post

"Salafis" are innovators and their so called "scholars" are also innovators or maybe even heretics.

​​​
              Well, I'm no top scholar .. but I know Muslims from many different backgrounds..
              ..it is interesting to see that in Birmingham UK, Green Lane Masjid has a very good reputation .. it attracts many reverts.

However, I'm not without criticism .. I've yet to see a "sect" who doesn't continually "blow its own trumpet"
              The closer you get to the truth, the more shaytan opposes you!

Good scholars do not promote division of the ummah .. they seek to promote academic study, including but not limited to the so called 4 imams.
              He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters - Psalms (Zaboor of Dawood)

Comment

• Originally posted by isa_muhammad View Post

Well, I'm no top scholar .. but I know Muslims from many different backgrounds..
                ..it is interesting to see that in Birmingham UK, Green Lane Masjid has a very good reputation .. it attracts many reverts.

However, I'm not without criticism .. I've yet to see a "sect" who doesn't continually "blow its own trumpet"
                The closer you get to the truth, the more shaytan opposes you!

Good scholars do not promote division of the ummah .. they seek to promote academic study, including but not limited to the so called 4 imams.
                Stay away from this misguided bidati Abu Sulayman

Comment

• Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

So isn't that essentially anthropomorphism? As in attributing human like features to Allah SWT?

Isn't Allah unlike his creation (surah ikhas) and something we can't even imagine? As he is the most high SWT

Yes, the argument is that modern salafis have fallen into some tajseem without realising, so far no one has countered this argument on this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

It is anthropomorphism, because they assume that there is a certain amount of similarity between the Creator and the creation in their reality.

This assumption is rejected by the Qur`an al-karim - like in Surat al-Ikhlas - as you corrrectly stated. Rather we believe that the only similarity that there exists is in naming and NOT in the reality and that Allah ta'ala is beyond our imagination and comprehension and completely unlike His creation and described with absolute perfection.

This is why the scholars of the past would say that one should think about the creation and NOT about the divine Self, because this inevitably leads to Tashbih.

Note that Surat al-Ikhlas is the basis for the Islamic understanding regarding the Creator:

- When the disbelievers asked regarding a description of Allah ta’ala, Surat al-Ikhlas was revealed.

- It's reported in the Sahihayn that the Messenger of Allah - sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam - regarded Surat al-Ikhlas to be equal to one-third of the Qur`an.

- It's also reported in the Sahihayn that a man used to always recite Surat al-Ikhlas in prayer and that when he was asked regarding the reasoning behind this he answered that this Sura contains the attribute of the Most Gracious (Sifat al-Rahman) and that's why he loves reciting it. The Messenger of Allah - sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam - told those who asked him regarding this person "Inform him that Allah loves him".

Now what is the content of Surat al-Ikhlas:
                    It‘s about Allah ta’ala being One and Self-Sufficient and being transcendent from having offspring or being born and about having no equal [or similarity] whatsoever.

So this Sura is making a clear distinction between the Creator and the creation, which is why Imam al-Junayd (d. 298 AH) statedAl-tawhīd consists in maintaining the uniqueness of the Unoriginated (qadīm) with respect to the originated (hādith).

Comment

• Additionally to the above I would like to repost the statement of Imam al-Tahawi (d. 321 AH) in his famous 'Aqida (translation taken from HERE) regarding our belief in the Tawhid of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala:

إن الله واحد لا شريك له، ولا شيء مثله، ولا شيء يعجزه، ولا إله غيره.
                      قديم بلا ابتداء، دائم بلا انتهاء، لا يفنى ولا يبيد، ولا يكون إلا ما يريد.
                      لا تبلغه الأوهام، ولا تدركه الأفهام، ولا يشبه الأنام، حي لا يموت، قيوم لا ينام.
                      خالق بلا حاجة، رازق بلا مؤنة، مميت بلا مخافة، باعث بلا مشقة.
                      ما زال بصفاته قديما قبل خلقه، لم يزدد بكونهم شيئا لم يكن قبلهم من صفاته، وكما كان بصفاته أزليا كذلك لا يزال عليها أبديا
                      ليس بعد خلق الخلق استفاد اسم الخالق، ولا بإحداث البرية استفاد اسم الباري.
                      له معنى الربوبية ولا مربوب، ومعنى الخالقية ولا مخلوق.
                      وكما أنه محيي الموتى بعدما أحياهم استحق هذا الاسم قبل إحيائهم، كذلك استحق اسم الخالق قبل إنشائهم.
                      ذلك بأنه على كل شيء قدير، وكل شيء إليه فقير، وكل أمر عليه يسير، لا يحتاج إلى شيء، (ليس كمثله شيء، وهو السميع البصير
                      خلق الخلق بعلمه، وقدر لهم أقدارا، وضرب لهم آجالا.
                      لم يخفَ عليه شيء قبل أن يخلقهم، وعلم ما هم عاملون قبل أن يخلقهم، وأمرهم بطاعته، ونهاهم عن معصيته.
                      وكل شيء يجري بتقديره ومشيئته، ومشيئته تنفذ لا مشيئة للعباد إلا ما شاء لهم، فما شاء لهم كان، وما لم يشأ لم يكن.
                      يهدي من يشاء، ويعصم ويعافي فضلا، ويضل من يشاء، ويخذل ويبتلي عدلا، وكلهم يتقلبون في مشيئته بين فضله وعدله.
                      وهو متعال عن الأضداد والأنداد، لا رادَّ لقضائه، ولا معقب لحكمه، ولا غالب لأمره.
                      آمنا بذلك كله، وأيقنا أن كلا من عنده

1. Allah is One; He has no partner.
                      2. Nothing is like Him.
                      3. Nothing can overwhelm Him.
                      4. There is no god but He.
                      5. He is Pre-Eternal without a beginning, Perpetual without end.
                      6. He will never perish and He will never come to an end.
                      7. Nothing occurs but what He wills.
                      8. No imagination can conceive of Him and no understanding can fathom Him.
                      9. He does not resemble humankind.
                      10. He is living; He will never die. He is sustaining; He never sleeps.
                      11. He creates without His being in need to do so. He provides (for His creation) without any effort.
                      12. He causes death without any fear. He restores to life without any hardship.
                      13. He has always existed with His attributes even before His creating (the world) -which did not add anything to His attributes that were not already there. As He was Pre-eternal together with His attributes, so is He Perpetual together with them.
                      14. It was not only after the act of creation that He acquired the (attributive) name ‘the Creator (al-Khaliq)’ nor was it only by the act of origination that He could He acquired the (attributive) name ‘the Originator (al-Bari’)’.
                      15. He always occupied the quality of Lordship even when there was nothing to be Lord of, and (He always) occupied the quality of being the Creator even when there was no creation.
                      16. In the same way that He is the ‘Reviver of life to the Dead’, after He has brought them to life the first time, and deserves this name before bringing them to life, so too does He deserve the name of ‘the Creator’ before He has created them.
                      17. This is because He has the power over all things, all things are dependent on Him and all affairs are easy for Him. He is not in need of anything. ‘Nothing is like Him and He is the All-Hearing, the All-Seeing’.
                      18. He created the creation with His knowledge.
                      19. He organised destinies for them.
                      20. He allocated fixed life spans to them.
                      21. None of their activities were hidden from Him before He created them, and He knew everything that they would do before He even created them.
                      22. He has directed them to obey Him and He has forbidden them to disobey Him.
                      23. Everything transpires according to His judgement and will, and His will is unequivocally executed. There is no will for the servants but what He wills for them. So, whatever He wills for them occurs, and whatever He does not will does not transpire.
                      24. He guides whom He wills and He protects and keeps from harm whom He wills, out of (His) grace; and He misguides whom He wills and He disgraces them and afflicts (whom He wills) out of (His) justice.
                      25. All of them are subject to His will between either His grace or His justice.
                      26. He is above having opposites or equals.
                      27. There is none to reverse His decision, there is none to repel His command and there is none to quell His affairs.
                      28. We believe in all of this and we are certain that everything comes from Him.

- end of quote -

Comment

• Originally posted by TheHaqq View Post

Yes, the argument is that modern salafis have fallen into some tajseem without realising, so far no one has countered this argument on this thread.
                        Just to remind everyone what is meant with Tajsim:

Tajsim is the belief that the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth is a being with height / length, breadth / width and depth.
                        (High Exalted is Allah ta'ala above such a [dis]belief.)

Whosoever believes this is a Mujassim.

What is the ruling regarding the one who has such a wrong belief:

The scholars of the past mentioned that either Tabdi' or Takfir is performed, which should be enough to understand how dangerous such a belief is.

Whatever the case maybe, if a person openly calls the people in the lands of Islam to such a wrong belief, then he needs to be put in front of an Islamic court.

(As Muslims we believe that the Maker - Praise be to Him - is beyond all of His Creation such that time and place do not apply to him.
                        The Mujassim however is similar to the atheist and the materialist, because for him only physical things exist and there is nothing beyond them in his lack of understanding.)
                        Last edited by Abu Sulayman; 12-01-21, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheHaqq View Post

The argument is based on false premises.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

The argument is based on false premises.
                            It is not an accusation nor is it not an argument, Salafis literally embrace tashbih (anthropomorphism).

Ibn Taymiyyah said, "One may say that there must be a guideline in this area by which it can be known what is permissible for Allah and impermissible for Him in affirmation and negation. Relying upon mere negation of resemblance (tashbih) or an unrestricted affirmation without resemblance (Tashbih) is unsound. That is because there are no two things except that they have a shared portion (qadr mushtarak) between them as well as that which sets them apart." [Risala al Tadmuriyya li Ibn Taymiyyah]

Ibn Uthaymeen said, “To negate Tashbih (resemblance) in its entirety is not correct, because there are no two things among entities or attributes, except that they share something together between them. This commonality is a type of resemblance (Tashbih). If you, therefore, negate Tashbih absolutely, you are (by that) negating everything wherein there is a form of resemblance between the Creator and the creature. For example, existence: Both the Creator and the creature primarily share this together.” (Ibn Uthaymeen -Sharh Aqida Wasatiyyah)

Salafis are Al Mushabbihah (Anthropomorphist).

And The Salaf us Salih opposed Tashbih

Imam Tahawi said, “Imaginations cannot attain Him; comprehensions cannot perceive Him. Creatures do not bear any similarity (tashbih) to Him.” (Aqida Tahawi)

Imam Nuaym b Hammad, the Shaykh of Al Bukhari, may Allah have mercy upon them said, "Whoever draws a resemblance between Allah and His creation has disbelieved, and whosoever denies what Allah has described Himself with has also disbelieved - there is no resemblance (tashbih) or likeness (tamthil) in that with which Allah or His Messenger have described Him." [Sharh Risala al Tadmuriyya]

The Hanbalis opposed Tashbih

Imam Ibn Qudamah said, "Everything that has come int the Quran and that is authentically narrated from Al Mustafa (saw) concerning the Attributes of Al Rahman it is obligatory to have faith in it and receive it with submission and total acceptance. We must abandon opposing it with rejection (al radd) false interpretation (tawil), similarity (tashbih), and likening (tamthil). (Lumat al Itiqad - Ibn Qudamah)
                            Last edited by aMuslimForLife; 12-01-21, 08:12 PM.
                            My Blog ---> Reflections of the Traveler http://baraka.wordpress.com

Comment

• Originally posted by TheHaqq
                              Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

There's a fair few salafis on the forum do I'd be interested to see their side of the story tbf

Comment

• Originally posted by Abu Sulayman
                                Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

It is anthropomorphism, because they assume that there is a certain amount of similarity between the Creator and the creation in their reality.

This assumption is rejected by the Qur`an al-karim - like in Surat al-Ikhlas - as you corrrectly stated. Rather we believe that the only similarity that there exists is in naming and NOT in the reality and that Allah ta'ala is beyond our imagination and comprehension and completely unlike His creation and described with absolute perfection.

This is why the scholars of the past would say that one should think about the creation and NOT about the divine Self, because this inevitably leads to Tashbih.

Note that Surat al-Ikhlas is the basis for the Islamic understanding regarding the Creator:

- When the disbelievers asked regarding a description of Allah ta’ala, Surat al-Ikhlas was revealed.

- It's reported in the Sahihayn that the Messenger of Allah - sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam - regarded Surat al-Ikhlas to be equal to one-third of the Qur`an.

- It's also reported in the Sahihayn that a man used to always recite Surat al-Ikhlas in prayer and that when he was asked regarding the reasoning behind this he answered that this Sura contains the attribute of the Most Gracious (Sifat al-Rahman) and that's why he loves reciting it. The Messenger of Allah - sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam - told those who asked him regarding this person "Inform him that Allah loves him".

Now what is the content of Surat al-Ikhlas:
                                It‘s about Allah ta’ala being One and Self-Sufficient and being transcendent from having offspring or being born and about having no equal [or similarity] whatsoever.

So this Sura is making a clear distinction between the Creator and the creation, which is why Imam al-Junayd (d. 298 AH) statedAl-tawhīd consists in maintaining the uniqueness of the Unoriginated (qadīm) with respect to the originated (hādith).
                                Don't Christians also believe in anthropomorphism?

As in i could be wrong but they say they are the children of God too?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X