Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasawwuf

:salams
    please help me answer some questions about the following text, i will highlight the most important parts so you dont need to read all of it.

The purple are the things i personally find important.

The words in red are words i do not understand, are they sunnah i never heared of or are they bidah, or what do they mean?

The green text is what i would like some elaboration on, is it okay for us to give bayah to a shaikh? The description sounds very normal but it's new to me, do we even need a man to do the last 7 points mentioned? What are the advantaged of giving bayah to a shaikh? and why do they mention karamat, isnt that something only prophets of Allah do? i've heared of stories where shaikhs (then called saints) show karamat so i dont know if this is from shaytan like the prophecies in evangelical christianity or if this is from Allah. I know the text mentions that he does not have to show any karamat but he may...

JazakAllahu khairan to All you who want to help me out learning more about this subject.

By Khalid Baig

"Verily, he who has purified the heart is successful and he who has despoiled it has lost."

A lot of people have misunderstandings about tasawwuf. Many think that it is something beyond Qur'an and Sunnah. Errant Sufis as well as the superficial ulema, although on the opposite ends of the spectrum, are together in holding this mistaken notion. Consequently the first group has shunned the Qur'an and Hadith while the second group has shunned tasawwuf.

Actually, although the term tasawwuf, like many other religious terms in use today, evolved later, the discipline is very much part of the Shariah. The department of the Shariah relating to external deeds like salat and zakat is called “fiqh” while the one dealing with the internal feelings and states of the heart is called tasawwuf. Both are commanded in the Qur'an. Thus while commanding Salat and Zakat, the Qur'an also commands gratefulness and love of Allah and condemns the evil of pride and vanity. Similarly, in the books of hadith, along with the chapters on Ibadat, trade and commerce, marriage and divorce, are to be found the chapters on riya (showoff) takabbur, akhlaq, etc. These commands are as much a mandatory requirement as the ones dealing with external deeds. On reflection it will be realized that all the external deeds are designed for the reformation of the heart. That is the basis of success in the hereafter while its despoiling is the cause of total destruction. This is precisely what is known technically as tasawwuf. Its focus is tahzeebe akhlaq or the adornment of character; its motive is the attainment of Divine pleasure; its method is total obedience to the commands of the Shariah. Tasawwuf is the soul of Islam. Its function is to purity the heart from the lowly bestial attributes of lust, calamities of the tongue, anger, malice, jealousy, love of the world, love of fame, niggardliness, greed, ostentation, vanity, deception, etc. At the same time it aims at the adornment of the heart with the lofty attributes of repentance, perseverance, gratefulness, fear of Allah, hope, abstention, tauheed, trust, love, sincerity, truth, contemplation, etc.

To diagnose and treat the diseases of the heart normally requires the help of an expert mentor or Shaikh. Here are the qualities of a good Shaikh.
    1. He possesses necessary religious knowledge.
    2. His beliefs, habits, and practices are in accordance with the Shariah.
    3. He does not harbor greed for the worldly wealth.
    4. He has himself spent time learning from a good Shaikh.
    5. The scholars and good mashaikh of his time hold good opinion about him.
    6. His admirers are mostly from among the people who have good understanding of religion.
    7. Most of his followers follow the Shariah and are not the seekers after this world.
    8. He sincerely tries to educate and morally train his followers. If he sees anything wrong in them, he corrects it.
    9. In his company one can feel a decrease in the love of this world and an increase in the love for Allah.
    10. He himself regularly performs dhikr and shughal (spiritual exercises).
    In searching for a Shaikh, do not look for his ability to perform karamat (miracles) or to foretell the future. A very good Shaikh may not be able to show any karamat. On the other hand, a person showing karamat does not have to be a pious person --- or even a Muslim. Prominent Sufi Bayazid Bistami says: "Do not be deceived if you see a performer of supernatural feats flying in the air. Measure him on the standard of the Shariah." When you find the right Shaikh, and you are satisfied with his ability to provide spiritual guidance, you perform baya or pledge. This is a two-way commitment; the Shaikh pledges to guide you in light of Shariah and you pledge to follow him.

Then the Shaikh will give his mureed (disciple) initial instructions.

They include the following:
    1. Perform repentance for all the past sins and take steps to make amends, e.g. if any salat has been missed so far in the life, you start making up for it.
    2. If you have any unmet financial obligations toward another person make plans to discharge them.
    3. Guard your eyes, ears, and tongue.
    4. Perform dhikr regularly.
    5. Start a daily session of self-accounting before going to bed. Review all the good and bad deeds performed during the day. Repent for the bad ones and thank Allah for the good ones.
    6. Perform muraqaba-maut (meditation over death) every night before going to bed. Just visualize that you have died. Reflect upon the pangs of death, the questioning in the grave, the plain of Resurrection, the Reckoning , the presence in the Court of Allah, etc This helps bring softness to the heart and break the tendency to commit sins.
    7. Develop humility. Even if you observe another individual committing the worst of vices you should not despise him/her, nor should you consider yourself nobler.

It is very much possible that the perpetrator of the vice may resort to sincere repentance while the one who despised the sinner become ensnared in the traps of nafs and Shaitan. One has no certainty regarding one's end. One, therefore has no basis for regarding another with contempt. The essential idea of tahzeebe akhlaq is to bring our natural faculties in a state of balance. The three basic faculties are anger, desires, and intelligence.

Anger:
    When in equilibrium it results in valor, forbearance, steadfastness, the ability to restrain anger, and dignity.
    Excess will result in rashness, boastfulness, pride, inability to restrain anger, and vanity.
    A deficiency will result in cowardice, disgrace, and feeling of inferiority.

Desires:
    Equilibrium here results in chastity, generosity, haya (decency), patience,
    and contentment. Its excess leads to greed and lust.
    The other extreme results in narrow-mindedness, and impotence, etc.

Intelligence:
    Equilibrium here makes man wise, sharp-witted and one with great insights.
    Excess here makes one deceptive, fraudulent and imposture.
    Its lack results in ignorance and stupidity with the consequence that such a person is quickly misled.

A person will be considered as having a beautiful seerah (character) only when these faculties are in the state of balance and equilibrium. Internal beauty varies with people just as external beauty does.

The possessor of the most beautiful seerah was Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam. The beauty of our seerah is based on its closeness to his seerah.

[Condensed from writings of Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi] Further Reading:
    1) Fiqh aur Tassuwuf aik Taaruf (Urdu)
    2) The Kashf Al-Mahjub (English)
    Last edited by aynina; 30-03-17, 12:42 PM.
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Re: Tasawwuf

WSLMWWB

It is highly beneficial

But do your homework/make istikhara.

Look at his lineage back to Nabi SAW as well

Comment

Originally posted by Ekoor View Post
      WSLMWWB

It is highly beneficial

But do your homework/make istikhara.

Look at his lineage back to Nabi SAW as well
      You havent answered any of my questions and why is lineage important?
      يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post
        You havent answered any of my questions and why is lineage important?
        The highlighted bits I see nothing wrong...

To see that he has come from a reliable line of mshaaikh.

Comment

The highlighted bits I see nothing wrong...

To see that he has come from a reliable line of mshaaikh.
          So if youre a convert you cannot become a reliable shaikh bc u are not ahlul bayt

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

So if youre a convert you cannot become a reliable shaikh bc u are not ahlul bayt
            You guys are misunderstanding each other.

Your lineage doesn't have to go back to the Messenger of Allah :saw: . I think the brother meant having a chain that goes back to the Messenger of Allah :saw: so you know the shaykh is reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Poster View Post
              You guys are misunderstanding each other.

Your lineage doesn't have to go back to the Messenger of Allah :saw: . I think the brother meant having a chain that goes back to the Messenger of Allah :saw: so you know the shaykh is reliable.
              But why does he need yo have that chain in order to be reliable

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

No you can... by being linked to someone from that lineage...

Comment

No you can... by being linked to someone from that lineage...
                  So no lineage to the prophet saws means bad shaikh

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

I think he means the teaching lineage, not a familial one.

I think it's called an 'ijazaa if I'm not mistaken and means that you can trace your teachers back to Rasulullah

So say Fatimah just graduated and her teacher, Sofia got taught by Ruqayyah who got taught by her father (a mufti), Abdullah who got taught by Bilal who got taught by Adam who got taught by Zakariyyah etc. right until Rasulullah

Each certificate they issue to new graduates lists it I think, for daleel.
                    ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
                    U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Comment

Academic lineage is also a thing in the western world

https://academictree.org/physics/
                      Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

Comment

Originally posted by Meriadoc View Post
                        I think he means the teaching lineage, not a familial one.

I think it's called an 'ijazaa if I'm not mistaken and means that you can trace your teachers back to Rasulullah

So say Fatimah just graduated and her teacher, Sofia got taught by Ruqayyah who got taught by her father (a mufti), Abdullah who got taught by Bilal who got taught by Adam who got taught by Zakariyyah etc. right until Rasulullah

Each certificate they issue to new graduates lists it I think, for daleel.
                        Oh okay JazakAllahu khair that makes more sense

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by ayina
                          [Condensed from writings of Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi]

Don't have any doubt on the words of Hakeem al-Ummah Ash-Shah Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi Rahimahullah. He was one of the few true Sufis of his era.
                          May Allah shower his blessings on the grave of this pious sufi master. Aameen

Comment

According to you, the red words are those which you couldn't understood.
                            tahzeebe akhlaq or the adornment of character
                            The answer is within the sentence. Tahzeeb e akhlaq means adornment of character.
                            the heart normally requires the help of an expert mentor or Shaikh
                            What could you not understand here? Its simple english. It means that by giving bay'ah, the heart may become pure and the lust for worldly pleasure will be finished.
                            [quote-ayina]religious knowledge.[/quote]
                            Well versed in religious sciences(fiqh), Arabic grammar, Quranic exegesis, law making, etc.
                            does not harbor greed for the worldly wealth.
                            It means that the Shaykh have no desire for worldly wealth.
                            has himself spent time learning from a good Shaikh]
                            The Shaykh himself also must have given bay'ah from a good and well known Shaykh and have learned Islamic teachings from him.
                            The scholars and good mashaikh of his time hold good opinion about him.
                            It means that the scholars and other well known and established sufia have good opinion of him i.e they consider him a reliable Shaykh.
                            His admirers are mostly from among the people who have good understanding of religion.
                            The people who praise should be amongst the scholarly population.
                            Most of his followers follow the Shariah and are not the seekers after this world.
                            His mureedsa are more concerned for the hereafter and are not concerned about this temporary worldly life.
                            [quote=ayina]He sincerely tries to educate and morally train his followers. If he sees anything wrong in them, he corrects it./quote]
                            He is the spiritual mentor of his disciples, he builds up their religious character and if he finds any wrong "feature" in his disciple he corrects it.
                            In his company one can feel a decrease in the love of this world and an increase in the love for Allah.
                            Can't elaborate it in words...Insha Allah when you will give bay'ah to a good Shaykh you will experience a decrease in love for world and an increase in love for Allah.
                            He himself regularly performs dhikr and shughal (spiritual exercises).
                            He does bayans and dhikr e Ilahi and he performs religious obligations and religious exercises like charity, good akhlaq, performing sunnah, etc very much.
                            When you find the right Shaikh, and you are satisfied with his ability to provide spiritual guidance, you perform baya or pledge. This is a two-way commitment; the Shaikh pledges to guide you in light of Shariah and you pledge to follow him.
                            Yeah doing bay'ah of a Shaykh is sunnah of the Holy Prophet Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam.(I can show you evidence if you want)
                            Perform muraqaba-maut (meditation over death) every night before going to bed. Just visualize that you have died. Reflect upon the pangs of death, the questioning in the grave, the plain of Resurrection, the Reckoning , the presence in the Court of Allah, etc This helps bring softness to the heart and break the tendency to commit sins.
                            It is thinking about life after death. What will happen to you when you will be buried in your grave, questioning of angels, etc. Thinking over it. It will create softness in heart and will help us to shun sins.
                            I have found nothing in this article which is against Quran and Sunnah or it is bidah.

Comment

This 'Hassaan Naqshbandi' character is a deviant.
                              You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X