Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The S.M.A.R.T way to find a job InshaAllah- Ummah style.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The S.M.A.R.T way to find a job InshaAllah- Ummah style.

:salams

Insha'Allah I am going to share with you some tips for a successful CV. The tips here were recorded from a series of career management lectures that I attended.

General tips

* Keep CV neat
    * Use good quality white paper
    * Do not leave to much empty space in your CV
    * Do not use templates because it does not impress the recruiter
    * Do not provide more than 1 email becasue your aim is to concise your CV
    * When providing e-mails do not provide one that sounds negative (e.g. [email protected])
    * If you have an email address with an organisation/institution/company/school/college/university then it is better to provide that email address rather than the one you have in hotmail or google because it tells the employer that you belong (or belonged) to that place
    * Use "good" font - do not use boring font like times new roman (its too common)
    * keep to the point (i.e. do not write about your life story)
    * Do not write your date of birth except if you are applying for jobs that require you to be of a specific age
    * Do not include your gender (esp. since the employer has not got the right to discriminate) except if you are applying to jobs which require you to be of a specific gender (e.g. toilet cleaner, football team/coach etc.)

Comment

Specific Tips

- Profile should be 4 to 5 lines.
      - Write in it a brief summary of yourself
      - Be sure to provide evidence for what you write (e.g. if you state that you are a good communicator then write about what you did to attain that status).

Education/Qualifications

-Start with the most recent educations and/or qualifications you have done/achieved.
      -Write the place of education on the left hand side and the dates on the right hand side.
      - Write the relevant subjects/Modules you have undertaken. (Notice that I underlined the word 'relevant' because it depends which job you are applying to. If you are applying to a business admistration job then you should not include subjects such as 'thermodynamics' but instead subjects such as 'project management' and 'finance' and 'mathematics' would be more suitable.
      - try to use bullet points as it looks much more neat and straight to the point.
      - Do not include your education below GCSE level (or equivalent) because it becomes unneccessary.
      - Do include your grades that you achieved esp. English and Maths as they are the most basic skills required for almost any job.

Work Experience
      - Again, list your work experience and/or voluntry work starting from the most recent first.
      - Use Bullet points preferably
      - Write about what you did, where you did, when and how but be concise. (see the attached CV as an example)

Achievements and Skills
      - Incude your relevant achievements and skills here. (again 'relevant')
      - If you have achieved something in a group then write about the contribution you made to the group instead of saying that your group came 1st, 2nd etc. this is because the employer wants to know what you can contribute to the team. It might be that the team came 1st despite your contribution.

Interests
      - The employer wants to know what kind of a person you are. This is where you mention things which you enjoy doing.
      - these things can include sports, readings, research, social life etc.)
      - do not be shy to say that you like studying Islam. Perhaps the best way to put it is what i have said which is: "Comparative religious study and research"
      - Ofcourse if you are applying for a job in an airport then it would be better for you to not state anything to do with religion.

References
      - Include 2 referees preferably.
      - If space is running out then just state that references are available upon request.

Last but not least: Do not lie. If you lie about something to impress the employer so that he/she can recruit you then your imaam will become weak. this is because you must try your best and then have takwa and be sure that Allah will give you what is best for you. Lieing is also a sin.

Comment

^^really good tips there :jkk:
        check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've been hunting everytime, either to face 2 face or online, just started recently so i ain't got any replies, I will continue tho better than not doing anything right.

Islamicgirl can I send you my CV so maybe u can check it? and I toke you covering letter but change it a bit :D do u mind?
          Last edited by Tanisha; 15-05-09, 07:42 PM.

Comment

:salams

Can someone please check my CV which I have attached (with personal details cleared) and give me feedback.

:jkk:

Comment

Sorry forgot to attach my CV.

here it is

(btw I want to apply for jobs in the sales and cleaning area).
              Attached Files

Comment

Anyone willing to check out my CV ? if i attach it
                (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Comment

Very nice thread.

I also was helping people getting into work over 33,000 views on my thread link below-with a few brothers and sisters successful in the job. The most viewed thread in the education section of this forum.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...28-Jobs-at-DWP

Comment

Work history should be before education.

As these days majority employers want to see your experience.

Originally posted by iloveislam1 View Post
                    Specific Tips

- Profile should be 4 to 5 lines.
                    - Write in it a brief summary of yourself
                    - Be sure to provide evidence for what you write (e.g. if you state that you are a good communicator then write about what you did to attain that status).

Education/Qualifications

-Start with the most recent educations and/or qualifications you have done/achieved.
                    -Write the place of education on the left hand side and the dates on the right hand side.
                    - Write the relevant subjects/Modules you have undertaken. (Notice that I underlined the word 'relevant' because it depends which job you are applying to. If you are applying to a business admistration job then you should not include subjects such as 'thermodynamics' but instead subjects such as 'project management' and 'finance' and 'mathematics' would be more suitable.
                    - try to use bullet points as it looks much more neat and straight to the point.
                    - Do not include your education below GCSE level (or equivalent) because it becomes unneccessary.
                    - Do include your grades that you achieved esp. English and Maths as they are the most basic skills required for almost any job.

Work Experience
                    - Again, list your work experience and/or voluntry work starting from the most recent first.
                    - Use Bullet points preferably
                    - Write about what you did, where you did, when and how but be concise. (see the attached CV as an example)

Achievements and Skills
                    - Incude your relevant achievements and skills here. (again 'relevant')
                    - If you have achieved something in a group then write about the contribution you made to the group instead of saying that your group came 1st, 2nd etc. this is because the employer wants to know what you can contribute to the team. It might be that the team came 1st despite your contribution.

Interests
                    - The employer wants to know what kind of a person you are. This is where you mention things which you enjoy doing.
                    - these things can include sports, readings, research, social life etc.)
                    - do not be shy to say that you like studying Islam. Perhaps the best way to put it is what i have said which is: "Comparative religious study and research"
                    - Ofcourse if you are applying for a job in an airport then it would be better for you to not state anything to do with religion.

References
                    - Include 2 referees preferably.
                    - If space is running out then just state that references are available upon request.

Last but not least: Do not lie. If you lie about something to impress the employer so that he/she can recruit you then your imaam will become weak. this is because you must try your best and then have takwa and be sure that Allah will give you what is best for you. Lieing is also a sin.

Comment

Oh emm gee.

Awesome sauce just saw this thread! I hope some of the oldies are still knocking about to help me though
                      :sub: wabihamdihi:sub:hiladheem

Comment

I lost my job at orclacle

Comment

Originally posted by Elyaouti900 View Post
                          I lost my job at orclacle
                          I know bud.

you went from $40 to 7$ per hour, I feel for you :there:

Comment

I am living off my invesment for now

Comment

Originally posted by Elyaouti900 View Post
                              I am living off my invesment for now
                              Don't you live with the rentz?

Comment

What should you do about a large non-working gap?? I've been a SAHM for about 5 years now, and my youngest daughter is going to preschool beginning of 2014 when she turns 3 inshaAllah so I'm wanting to find a day time job because ALL of my kids will be in school. I don't know what to put, and yet I don't want recruiters to make dumb assumptions like I went to prison or something
                                Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
                                Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Working...
                                X