Career Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Confusion

I’m 17, oldest child and only daughter. I understand my responsibilities well and understand that I cannot take 8-9 years to establish a career because my dad is near retirement age and although he wouldn’t stop me I want to set a quick career that has a good income to support my family. I have 2 younger brothers and one of them has violently abused me and I know he isn’t considerate of my anyone.

Im a huge extrovert and am very very creative. I’m great at debating and communication. I hate math so I was planning a career on sonography. (Growing up my parents stuffed “medical” in my mind). Ik that if I’m not happy w my education I’ll be miserable. I just don’t know what career path to pursue. I was never really interested in science and graphic designers and other art fields earn less.

also wanna talk abt how although I’m highly responsible. I know my distant family is gonna begin talking abt “get her married” and shit. I don’t mind marriage but only when I feel If my current responsibilities r taken care of. (I still wanna he married before 30). I just don’t know.

Just pray salah al istikharah, even if it takes a dozen times. For your education, career, etc. Then trust in Allah and try not to burden yourself with whatever comes next. Coz u don't know, but Allah does.

Comment

Originally posted by SufiSultaniyyah View Post
      Just pray salah al istikharah, even if it takes a dozen times. For your education, career, etc. Then trust in Allah and try not to burden yourself with whatever comes next. Coz u don't know, but Allah does.
      Jazakallah

Comment

Don't burden yourself. Trust in Alah.
        slitherio

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy034 View Post
          I’m 17, oldest child and only daughter. I understand my responsibilities well and understand that I cannot take 8-9 years to establish a career because my dad is near retirement age and although he wouldn’t stop me I want to set a quick career that has a good income to support my family. I have 2 younger brothers and one of them has violently abused me and I know he isn’t considerate of my anyone.

Im a huge extrovert and am very very creative. I’m great at debating and communication. I hate math so I was planning a career on sonography. (Growing up my parents stuffed “medical” in my mind). Ik that if I’m not happy w my education I’ll be miserable. I just don’t know what career path to pursue. I was never really interested in science and graphic designers and other art fields earn less.

also wanna talk abt how although I’m highly responsible. I know my distant family is gonna begin talking abt “get her married” and shit. I don’t mind marriage but only when I feel If my current responsibilities r taken care of. (I still wanna he married before 30). I just don’t know.

Assalaamu Alaykum,

You're 17, and it's entirely normal not to know what you're doing. Important thing in life is to set a plan and start moving, not sitting doing nothing and not to be afraid to change things later on.

I would also add it's not your responsibility to look after your parents financially, you are a woman and have different responsibilities in an Islamic lifestyle, that is not to say you cannot if you want but that is not your role if you don't want it or want to change from doing this later as this is your brothers responsibility.

RE waiting until 30 or just before for marriage, be careful. It's a lie from feminists that you can have it all. Education, career, then marriage and kids. Most men that age are happy to marry younger women and don't join the massive crowd of sisters moving rapidly towards cat lady spinster territory as you can't marry in your late 20's, then 30's and finally end up with nothing at all.
          FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

You can still pursue your education once you are married as long as your husband is ok with it, and talk to him before you get married that you want to pursue your education once you are married. In Shaa Allah you will have both a marriage and your education.

Nothing is rigid or laid in concrete, plans can change, you might think different once your married or you might be expecting a child after marriage so be open to change.
            'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]'

Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

Comment

Narrow down what you like, then link it to 5 careers that you think will be of interest in general regardless of education. Now filter it down to jobs that you can obtain in the career field with a bachelors or even less. This will give you good idea. I had similar mindset as you when I was your age. I did not want to committee to 8-10 years of education because lot can happen in that time. Instead i took the slow and steady approach where I got a job after my Bachelors, then worked on my masters.

You don't like Math - so engineering, computer science, accounting, finance..etc are out. That still leaves room for many other career

You mentioned medicine but you don't like science. Science can be divided into those with math vs. those with human. Do you like biology, do you like understanding human body? Do you have good memory. If you do, you can explore area with in medicine/biology.

You mentioned arts and creativity and communication. the future will be focused on communication & that is a great field. It requires more work to find a job but lot of opportunity. It is also broad topic, you need to narrow it.

Comment

Working...
              X