book club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Farah. A View Post

Lol. I couldn't find a translation for the book but it's asbab al nuzul which means the reasons for revelation by imam jalalel aldin as-suyuti.
    did you read Aqeeda Al- wasityyah by ibn taymyyah ? If yes, which is better ibn taymyyah or aqeedah Altahawayyah? I'm currently reading aqeedah al wasityyah and i am thinking of reading aqeedah al tahwayyah after i finish.

Abu julaybeeb it's uloom al quran. The book explains why certain ayat in the quran is revealed. It helps in understanding the meaning of Ayat. I found it interesting
    Sh Muqbil also has an asbab al nuzul which has been translated.

Comment

Originally posted by Poster View Post

Sh Muqbil also has an asbab al nuzul which has been translated.
      jazak Allah khairan

Comment

Originally posted by Farah. A View Post

Lol. I couldn't find a translation for the book but it's asbab al nuzul which means the reasons for revelation by imam jalalel aldin as-suyuti.
        did you read Aqeeda Al- wasityyah by ibn taymyyah ? If yes, which is better ibn taymyyah or aqeedah Altahawayyah? I'm currently reading aqeedah al wasityyah and i am thinking of reading aqeedah al tahwayyah after i finish.

Abu julaybeeb it's uloom al quran. The book explains why certain ayat in the quran is revealed. It helps in understanding the meaning of Ayat. I found it interesting
        I have a book on the reasons for the revelation by Shaykh Muqbil ibn Hadi al-Wadi'i. I will make that my next review book for Monday, Insha-Allah. Like Abu julaybeeb said, Wasitiya is a little different than al-Tahawi's book. Both are important reads but at-Tahawi's book should be read and understood first. Like I said, get the book with the commentary by Ibn Abi al Izz. And you can get it in Arabic...lucky you
        "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah View Post

I have a book on the reasons for the revelation by Shaykh Muqbil ibn Hadi al-Wadi'i. I will make that my next review book for Monday, Insha-Allah. Like Abu julaybeeb said, Wasitiya is a little different than al-Tahawi's book. Both are important reads but at-Tahawi's book should be read and understood first. Like I said, get the book with the commentary by Ibn Abi al Izz. And you can get it in Arabic...lucky you
          Asalamu alaykum.

Bro, can we see your collection? :)

Comment

Asalamu alaykum.

Bro, can we see your collection? :)
            It's in the hobby corner thread.

Comment

It's in the hobby corner thread.
              Allahumma baarik, that's an impressive collection

What are your thoughts on Dr Ali Sallabi's biographies by the way? I haven't read the seerah but the lack of proper chronology in his other works really bothers me.

Comment

Dr. Sallabi's "The Noble Prophet" is the best modern day seerah of the Prophet , in my opinion. I have his other biographies of Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali, al-Hasan, Salahudin. Great works, al-Hamdulilah. What do you mean the lack of proper chronology in his other works?

Comment

Dr. Sallabi's "The Noble Prophet" is the best modern day seerah of the Prophet , in my opinion. I have his other biographies of Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali, al-Hasan, Salahudin. Great works, al-Hamdulilah. What do you mean the lack of proper chronology in his other works?
                  If we take his biography of Salahudeen, you'll see he misses out on a number of events you wouldn't have known except if you've read other books on the topic.

For example, he doesn't mention the defence of the Muslims initially in the Turkish plains and how the crusaders managed to get to Antioch. It all seems a little jumbled, jumping from one topic to another.

May Allah reward the shaykh though. There's a lot of knowledge in those books.

Comment

If we take his biography of Salahudeen, you'll see he misses out on a number of events you wouldn't have known except if you've read other books on the topic.

For example, he doesn't mention the defence of the Muslims initially in the Turkish plains and how the crusaders managed to get to Antioch. It all seems a little jumbled, jumping from one topic to another.

ibn kathirs seerah has been translated
                    its about 1500 pages ish
                    its available on the site-
                    adviceforparadise

Comment

on pdf lool

Comment

Yes you are correct brother. When I read his book on Salahudin he didn't get into detail of the battles. I believe the main purpose of this book was to explain how he administered his lands, the scholars and schools he established and other government plans. If you want a first hand account of Salahudin's battles and other stories then get book written by his advisor, Behuddin, which is a first hand account of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

ibn kathirs seerah has been translated
                          its about 1500 pages ish
                          its available on the site-
                          adviceforparadise
                          Wow! Jazak Allah for giving that website. I once thought about getting those 3 volume set by Ibn Kathir but at the time, didn't have the funds. Now it is out of print and can only be seen on pdf.

Comment

Book Review: Sketches of Fools and Simpletons by Imam Ibn Jawzi
                            Published by: Dar As Sunnah
                            Level: Beginner

This is a short work (published 7/18) by Imam Ibn Jawzi on people (fools) who commit acts of folly. It is a light hearted work tended to bring some humor, (we can't always be serious). Unfortunately, I don't think this work translates well into English because some of the stories come off as not making sense probably due to it being funnier in Arabic rather than English. This is one of Dar us Sunnah classics that leave much to be desired. Can't say I recommend it. I purchased from here for $12 U.S. dollars.

http://www.authenticstatements.com/s...-ibn-al-jawzi/
                            Attached Files

Comment

I bought the book "From my sisters lips" by Naima B. Roberts recently as I am a part of mosque book club. In sha Allah I can get round to it now cos I'm done with some overdue essays.

Its a Muslim women's classic, so many sisters talked about in sixth form, years have passed and I hadn't gotten round it.

Also the book club told us to read 'Dua: the weapon of the believer' by Yasir Qadhi which is on PDF and I am really excited to read it cos it probably has lots of useful and helpful advice about how to do dua the sunnah way, with concentration, hope and sincerity etc.
                              Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

and charity is proof (of one's faith)

and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.

حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
                              In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
                              USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
                              (deprecated numbering scheme)

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
                                I bought the book "From my sisters lips" by Naima B. Roberts recently as I am a part of mosque book club. In sha Allah I can get round to it now cos I'm done with some overdue essays.

Its a Muslim women's classic, so many sisters talked about in sixth form, years have passed and I hadn't gotten round it.

Also the book club told us to read 'Dua: the weapon of the believer' by Yasir Qadhi which is on PDF and I am really excited to read it cos it probably has lots of useful and helpful advice about how to do dua the sunnah way, with concentration, hope and sincerity etc.
                                what is the sisters book about

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X