Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

book club

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Layla_ View Post

    No it was 99p. Getting a kindle version of a book is usually cheaper than a hardback

    Click image for larger version

Name:	390F6A6D-A055-4E93-8519-106A4FFA2D5C.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	12743818
    Ahh. I just noticed your edit. Anyways, don't spoil the book for me unless it has some vital information that needs to be shared.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

      Ahh. I just noticed your edit. Anyways, don't spoil the book for me unless it has some vital information that needs to be shared.
      Lol I won’t spoilt your read Insha allah
      https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

      Comment


      • Layla_

        Since you don't mind reading eBooks you should definitely add Yasir Qadhi's dissertation to your library if you haven't read it already:

        https://archive.org/details/YasirQad...ge/n2/mode/1up

        Comment


        • Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
          Layla_

          Since you don't mind reading eBooks you should definitely add Yasir Qadhi's dissertation to your library if you haven't read it already:

          https://archive.org/details/YasirQad...ge/n2/mode/1up
          Jazakallah khayr I’ll add it and read it Insha allah
          https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

          Comment


          • whats the best islamic book you read? (besides Qur'an, Hadith, Tafsir) whats the first one that comes to mind?

            mine has to be 'the sword against black magic and evil magicians', i find the world of the unseen very interesting tbh,
            im such a slow reader and sometimes i need to go over things a couple of times to digest the information,
            but i thoroughly enjoyed that book and actually read it all, sometimes i get bored but this has me interested throughout it all highly recommend it in sha Allah

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Layla_ View Post

              I just purchased this book too, was really cheap on the kindle. Jazakallah khayr for the recommendation, it looks really interesting
              Did you end up reading this book by any chance? I thought it was quite balanced and easy to digest, although I would have liked for him to elaborate a little further on a few issues nearing towards the end.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

                Did you end up reading this book by any chance? I thought it was quite balanced and easy to digest, although I would have liked for him to elaborate a little further on a few issues nearing towards the end.
                No unfortunately I haven’t read it yet. I’m hoping to start it soon Insha allah
                https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

                Comment


                • Someone mentioned Discipling the soul by Imam Al Ghazali (Ra). I remember really looking forward to reading that one when I bought it many, many years back. I must have been fifteen or sixteen at the time. Maybe too young to appreciate it, but I remember it was a difficult read and not something I could get into even though these kinds of books I loved reading.

                  I think I picked it up a few times years later but still found I couldn't get into it.

                  Translation by Abdul Hakeem Murad (bright red cover). Don't know where it is right now. I must have given it to someone, or might have opened it up again and see how I got on now much later....

                  ​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts. Thank you! (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

                  Comment


                  • Immanuel Kant's 'Critique of Pure Reason' - Download link:

                    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Jbwz9aw7yBmwir

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
                      Immanuel Kant's 'Critique of Pure Reason' - Download link:

                      https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Jbwz9aw7yBmwir
                      The Layperson must not read the philosophical works, especially of the Kuffar

                      The ruling of Imam al-Ghazali with relation to reading works of Falsafa (philosophy) is that it is prohibited.

                      Of the contemporary scholars of our time, Shaykh Salek bin Siddina al-Maliki emphasises the prohibition of delving into philosophy. The works of the Philosophers, even the ones that call themselves Muslims contain Kufr. It is especially prohibited for the layperson to read such things.

                      Only those who have studied Mantiq (logic) and Ilm al-Kalam (used to refute philosophy) should read such works, and those studying these things e.g. as part of the traditional Nizamiyyah syllabus (where they learn refutation, commentary upon such ideas etc.) The ideas held in most philosophical works are anathema to Islam.

                      The Athari scholars also prohibit Ilm al-Kalam itself, so there is no question as to the prohibition of reading philosophical works. What is worse than reading the philosophical works of the likes of Ibn Sina, is to read the philosophical works of the Kuffar, such as Kant. Kant is a Kafir and is the modern Aristotle. The fools who took from Aristotle thought he was a paragon of Monotheism, the likes of Al-Biruni proved Avicenna's idol Aristotle (if he was consistent in his views) would have been an Atheist.

                      Regarding Kant:

                      There are somethings he is correct in and somethings he is wrong in, and many things he has completely baseless and invented/western ideas in (e.g. his view of the soul where he tries to explain it, talks of the ego etc - such views are completely unislamic and will corrupt the minds of laymuslims). What he is wrong in is harmful for the Muslim and what he is correct in can be found from Muslim scholars. There is no good reason to read Kant or any Kafir for a laymuslim.

                      The Muslim who thinks he will find his Din in Kant will be raised following his "prophet" Kant on the day of judgement, as the communists will be raised behind their "prophet" Marx.

                      Kant is also philosophically an extreme skepticist. There are some good things that come about from this, e.g. he recognises most of the western methods of proving certain things are flawed. However what follows from this is an extreme rejection of reason to have any ability to discern some fundamental facts. This sophistry that he teaches is dangerous for the Muslim, as well as being irrational (he commits the very mistake he accuses others of - and he makes absolute statements based off of intuitive deduction off of a few cases he can think up).

                      The Muslim who is reliant on disbelievers for affirmation of his religion being correct, of him we say he has no certainty of faith and the one who has no certainty of faith is a Kafir.

                      Of course if someone - most likely a disbeliever* - has read Kant's works, actually understands them** and wishes to debate his ideas in calm and reasoned manner, then I personally am more than happy to engage with such a person, and there are many who will be willing to do so, including the students of knowledge and the scholars.

                      So a Muslim should not read such a work, and I hope AmantuBillahi removes the link to it.
                      *This is not me making Takfir on those who have read his work, I am merely stating that the majority of those who read his work are non-Muslims.
                      **Actually understanding Kants works = the person is able to explain and debate for themselves using their own understanding derived from his works and their own examples rather than just quoting websites/books/other people including him, without being able to even explain his ideas. Quoting something or telling someone to go read something is not good enough.
                      Last edited by Muhammad Hasan; 06-01-21, 11:14 PM.
                      Amir ul-Muminin Sayyiduna Ali KarramAllahu Wajhah said,
                      "Mahma tasawwarta bi-balik, fallahu bi-khilaf dhalik,"
                      Whatever comes into your mind, Allah is other than that,

                      Al-Aqeedah Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (Riwayah Abu Bakr al-Khallal),
                      1/116

                      Comment


                      • Current read: The Millenium Discourses
                        Per aspera ad astra.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Al-Mualim
                          Current read: The Millenium Discourses
                          What's it about?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Muhammad Hasan View Post

                            The Layperson must not read the philosophical works, especially of the Kuffar

                            The ruling of Imam al-Ghazali with relation to reading works of Falsafa (philosophy) is that it is prohibited.

                            Of the contemporary scholars of our time, Shaykh Salek bin Siddina al-Maliki emphasises the prohibition of delving into philosophy. The works of the Philosophers, even the ones that call themselves Muslims contain Kufr. It is especially prohibited for the layperson to read such things.

                            Only those who have studied Mantiq (logic) and Ilm al-Kalam (used to refute philosophy) should read such works, and those studying these things e.g. as part of the traditional Nizamiyyah syllabus (where they learn refutation, commentary upon such ideas etc.) The ideas held in most philosophical works are anathema to Islam.

                            The Athari scholars also prohibit Ilm al-Kalam itself, so there is no question as to the prohibition of reading philosophical works. What is worse than reading the philosophical works of the likes of Ibn Sina, is to read the philosophical works of the Kuffar, such as Kant. Kant is a Kafir and is the modern Aristotle. The fools who took from Aristotle thought he was a paragon of Monotheism, the likes of Al-Biruni proved Avicenna's idol Aristotle (if he was consistent in his views) would have been an Atheist.

                            Regarding Kant:

                            There are somethings he is correct in and somethings he is wrong in, and many things he has completely baseless and invented/western ideas in (e.g. his view of the soul where he tries to explain it, talks of the ego etc - such views are completely unislamic and will corrupt the minds of laymuslims). What he is wrong in is harmful for the Muslim and what he is correct in can be found from Muslim scholars. There is no good reason to read Kant or any Kafir for a laymuslim.

                            The Muslim who thinks he will find his Din in Kant will be raised following his "prophet" Kant on the day of judgement, as the communists will be raised behind their "prophet" Marx.

                            Kant is also philosophically an extreme skepticist. There are some good things that come about from this, e.g. he recognises most of the western methods of proving certain things are flawed. However what follows from this is an extreme rejection of reason to have any ability to discern some fundamental facts. This sophistry that he teaches is dangerous for the Muslim, as well as being irrational (he commits the very mistake he accuses others of - and he makes absolute statements based off of intuitive deduction off of a few cases he can think up).

                            The Muslim who is reliant on disbelievers for affirmation of his religion being correct, of him we say he has no certainty of faith and the one who has no certainty of faith is a Kafir.

                            Of course if someone - most likely a disbeliever* - has read Kant's works, actually understands them** and wishes to debate his ideas in calm and reasoned manner, then I personally am more than happy to engage with such a person, and there are many who will be willing to do so, including the students of knowledge and the scholars.

                            So a Muslim should not read such a work, and I hope AmantuBillahi removes the link to it.
                            *This is not me making Takfir on those who have read his work, I am merely stating that the majority of those who read his work are non-Muslims.
                            **Actually understanding Kants works = the person is able to explain and debate for themselves using their own understanding derived from his works and their own examples rather than just quoting websites/books/other people including him, without being able to even explain his ideas. Quoting something or telling someone to go read something is not good enough.
                            I actually posted this knowing that it would get your attention. It is related to the last few videos I shared of Shaykh Hatem al-Haj in this thread:

                            https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/is...m-salafi/page4

                            Immanuel Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" was also cited by Hatem al-Haj in his book "Reflections of an Athari on the Divine Attributes". He uses Immanuel Kant and the philosophical views espoused in this book as the pillar in neutralizing the contentions of the philosophers and Mutakallimoon against the Atharis. Obviously someone like you (with all due respect) would not be so fond of him.
                            Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 06-01-21, 11:51 PM. Reason: Typos

                            Comment


                            • Muhammad Hasan

                              Not to deter you from responding but if your post is exceeding long then don't expect me to match it. You are more than welcomed to create a thread and explain why you believe Shaykh Hatem al-Haj (Hafidhahullah) was wrong for relying on Immanuel Kant to defuse the troubling aspects of rational metaphysics as self-proclaimed Athari.

                              Note: I'm obviously not categorically endorsing the philosophical views of Immanuel Kant. What I really agree with him on is the speculative nature of metaphysical rationalism. This is also the view of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah).

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

                                I actually posted this knowing that it would get your attention. It is related to the last few videos I shared of Shaykh Hatem al-Haj in this thread:

                                https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/is...m-salafi/page4

                                Immanuel Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" was also cited by Hatem al-Haj in his book "Reflections of an Athari on the Divine Attributes". He uses Immanuel Kant and the philosophical views espoused in this book as the pillar in neutralizing the contentions of the philosophers and Mutakallimoon against the Atharis. Obviously someone like you (with all due respect) would not be so fond of him.
                                And yet we find the reader of such works unable to use such ideas in debate when asked to in the past - such people have no certainty.

                                For the person who loves links, a good article on some of Kant's views:

                                https://abdullahalandalusi.com/2016/...han-the-koran/

                                I hate Kant because he is a Kafir philosopher with provably irrational views, and he also hates Muslims himself. He also does not believe in Allah Azza Wa Jal.

                                I.e. Kant is an Atheist, quoted by the Atheists to solve problems in Atheist ethics, he does not actually believe in God the way we do, he thinks God is a perfect moral conception of the mind, of perfect morality whose real existance is unprovable and unnecessary - and we do not even need such a thing in the first place he conjectures, but we should use that mental conception to live morally (i.e. a moral perfection is how he defines God and theoretically if one was to live with perfect morality Kant would call that person God).

                                Allah is not simply an idea of moral perfection in the mind. Morallity as a concept does not even apply to him, he dictates Morallity and decrees Good and Evil.

                                Al-Hayyul-Qayyum is Al-Haqq and Kant's ungratefulness is more real than Kants idealism.

                                So the one taking Kants views are literally taking their views from an Atheist. maturidee takes this to the extreme of rejecting Qadar and saying the Mu'tazilah are "orthodox". At least he is being upfront with his views.

                                If Kant died upon his disbelief, then he takes the ruling of the disbelievers - the disbelievers shall abide in Jahannam for eternity.

                                The one who knows Qur'an and Hadith can say something, and others can't.

                                Stop reading the works of Philosophers

                                Let us review here - I as a Muslim do not take any of my views from non-Muslim philosophers - some however are reliant on them and their scholars who quote them.

                                Rather than applying these Kantian principles to try and refute the Mutakallimin themselves, they quote a book as they know they have no ability to do this themselves. This is the difference between us and them. Not only are they blind follower, they rely on Non-Muslim works of Philosophy and are encouraging other Muslims to read it. They themselves are stooped in error and they invite others to it. If it isn't a scholar like Yasir Qadhi then they'll blindly follow Hatem al-Hajj. I wonder if they leave him, where will they go? I fear for those of my brother.

                                We must stop this philosophising and return to the Qur'an and Sunnah. We must stop quoting these figures and read for ourselves the Qur'an, and discover for ourrselves what Allah wants of us. We must have fed lies regarding the Mutakallimin, our pious Sunni scholars who defended Islam against foreign ideas. I do not defend the Ash'ari, Maturidi and Athari because I blindly adhere to them, I defend them because objectively they are right, based off of Naql and Aql, and the two cannot contradict.

                                And yet some will say "X group has got a greek conception of God" no, X group has an Islamic conception of God, backed by the Qur'an, Sunnah and tradition, upheld by the Sunni Ulama of all strands and none, generation to generation, upheld even by the literalists whilst they who claim this are themselves in ignorance, defending a few heretics and defending Greek conceptions of God and they don't even know it. The very "Ilm al-Kalam" they attack (unjustly unlike our Athari scholars) arose from Muslims like Hasan al-Basri refuting the Qadariyyah (and the Mu'tazilah came from his circle).

                                These people who attack the Sunnah of Iman with the doctrines of non-Muslim philosophers are like the Christians who interred neo-platonic ideas into their faith and formed their disbelief therefrom, in fact there are many similarities they have with the Christians, they are the Christians of this Ummah. We follow neither Jew nor Christian, we stick to the Muslims.

                                I do not criticise certain figures because they attack groups I like. By this logic I would attack Ibn Hazm, but I don't. I attack the ideas of those figures because they are heresy, whether one accepts this or not. In one's own heart, one knows the truth, but one chooses to cover it. Do they think Allah did not preserve the religion? They are its corruptors.

                                And look at the end of them - do they take the religion from non-Muslim philosophers? They prefer to feel correct in front of others rather than in front of Allah.

                                They have no certainty.

                                In the end I can't afford what will cost me Jannah, so I leave the newly invented and foreign things.

                                I did not even write the above to start a polemic, I did it to advise my Muslim brothers and sisters to not read a philosophical work.

                                Anyway, I am getting Déjà vu so I will end this.

                                I will not continue to argue with my brother in what I know to be right, there is no point in arguing with a blind follower who reasoned to himself that it is only logical that I speak out against the book being recommended. When I chose and started to write it, I did not even have what he wrote in mind nor Hatem al-Hajj's book - I had Tahafut al-Falasifah and Islamic history in mind. I have given my brother the warning, it is prohibited to read philosophy, and I choose for myself what is better.

                                I am greatful to Allah when I think of my brother and how I could have gone down that path. I tell anyone reading this - stick to the Hadith. The Qur'an and Hadith will guide you. Never let anyone take that away from you. Stick to the Jama'ah and al-Sawadh al-Adham, Yadullah is with the Jama'ah. If you cannot find it now, then seek it in the past with the Qur'an and Sunnah as your guide and pray to be guided. Insha'Allah you will find it.

                                May Allah bless and guide my brother to Himself and do so for me.
                                Amir ul-Muminin Sayyiduna Ali KarramAllahu Wajhah said,
                                "Mahma tasawwarta bi-balik, fallahu bi-khilaf dhalik,"
                                Whatever comes into your mind, Allah is other than that,

                                Al-Aqeedah Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (Riwayah Abu Bakr al-Khallal),
                                1/116

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X