Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on Tafsir

As salamu 'alaykum,

Just wondering if there are any good tafsir books out there, other than the one by Ibn Kathir?
    ~‘And He will provide him from (sources) he could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set a measure for all things.’~ - سورة الطلاق : 3

Tafsir jalalayn
    tafsir qurtobi
    tafsir tabari

Comment

There are literally hundreds of books of Tafseer. Each Tafseer is compiled with a specific methodology in mind and each compiler has his own biases whether related to school of Fiqh, Aqeedah or methodology in Tafseer.

The way you asked the question gives the impression that you don't understand Arabic and so most Tafaaseer will be off-limits for you. In that case, stick to Ibn Katheer, In Sha' Allah. I think the first 3 volumes of at-Tabari are available in English. Not sure about al-Jalalayn, however as-Suyuti has some mistakes in his Ta'weel based on his Ash'ari leanings. Al-Qurtubi also has Ash'ari leanings in his Ta'weelaat of the verses related to the Attributes of Allah.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuNajm View Post
        There are literally hundreds of books of Tafseer. Each Tafseer is compiled with a specific methodology in mind and each compiler has his own biases whether related to school of Fiqh, Aqeedah or methodology in Tafseer.

The way you asked the question gives the impression that you don't understand Arabic and so most Tafaaseer will be off-limits for you. In that case, stick to Ibn Katheer, In Sha' Allah. I think the first 3 volumes of at-Tabari are available in English. Not sure about al-Jalalayn, however as-Suyuti has some mistakes in his Ta'weel based on his Ash'ari leanings. Al-Qurtubi also has Ash'ari leanings in his Ta'weelaat of the verses related to the Attributes of Allah.
        Ive got tafsir jalalayn in english very small though only 700 ish pages

in terms of imaam suyooti and his ta weel based on ashari influence what does he mainly have taweel on

i would have thought its to do with asma wa siffat as well

Comment

Tafsir ibn Kathir is best because it uses the best methodology of explaining the Quran. First, it explains Quran with Quran, then it explains Quran with Sunnah.

You can read it in Urdu here:

http://www.fiqhulhadith.com/ibn-e-ka....php?page=3047

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
            Tafsir jalalayn
            tafsir qurtobi
            tafsir tabari
            Thanks.

Originally posted by Ahsen82 View Post
            Tafsir ibn Kathir is best because it uses the best methodology of explaining the Quran. First, it explains Quran with Quran, then it explains Quran with Sunnah.

You can read it in Urdu here:

http://www.fiqhulhadith.com/ibn-e-ka....php?page=3047

Yes, I enjoy reading Tafsir Ibn Kathir but I was looking for something that's short and not so condensed. Alternatively, a very detailed, elaborated exegesis would also be something that I'd like to read.
            ~‘And He will provide him from (sources) he could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set a measure for all things.’~ - سورة الطلاق : 3

Comment

Ive got tafsir jalalayn in english very small though only 700 ish pages

in terms of imaam suyooti and his ta weel based on ashari influence what does he mainly have taweel on

i would have thought its to do with asma wa siffat as well
              Don't get me wrong- I sometimes refer to al-Jalalayn for its ease of reference and typically brief, linguistic approach to exegesis. This was the method of the two Jalal ad-Deen's who worked on the book.

However, the Ash'ari leanings in interpreting the verses related to the Sublime Attributes of Allah comes through at some points as mentioned in the following Fatwa: http://fatwa.islamweb.net/fatwa/inde...twaId&Id=65576

Comment

Don't get me wrong- I sometimes refer to al-Jalalayn for its ease of reference and typically brief, linguistic approach to exegesis. This was the method of the two Jalal ad-Deen's who worked on the book.

However, the Ash'ari leanings in interpreting the verses related to the Sublime Attributes of Allah comes through at some points as mentioned in the following Fatwa: http://fatwa.islamweb.net/fatwa/inde...twaId&Id=65576
                Sorry i dont understand what the fatwa is trying to say

Comment

Sorry i dont understand what the fatwa is trying to say
                  الحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله وعلى آله وصحبه، أما بعـد:
                  فإن تفسير الجلالين من التفاسير النافعة عظيمة القدر، وقد انتفع به خلق كثير، غير أنه فيه بعض الأخطاء، بعضها متعلق بتأويل بعض آيات الصفات على طريقة الأشاعرة. وبعضها متعلق بقصر العام على بعض أفراده. وذلك أن اللفظ أحياناً قد يصدق على عدة معان ويطلق عليها ويحتملها كلها أو يقصد به مجموعها، فلو قيل بأحدها فقط وطرح الباقي ولم يلتفت إليه لكان اطراحاً لمعان حقة هي جزء من مدلولات اللفظ. وبعض الأخطاء متعلق بإيراده لبعض الإسرائيليات. وقد جمع الشيخ محمد عبد الرحمن الخميس هذه الهنات ومثل لها في كتيب صغير سماه: أنوار الهلالين في التعقبات على الجلالين.

والله أعلم.

Here is a summary:

"Tafsir al-Jalalayn is among the beneficial Tafaasir of great value, by which a large number of people have benefited, except that it has some errors, some of which are related to Ta'weel of some of the verses of the Attributes upon the path of the Asha'irah. Some of the mistakes are related to restricting terms that are general in meaning to individual [meanings] ... and some of the errors are related to relating some meanings derived from the traditions of Bani Isra'il. Shaykh Muhammad Abd ar-Rahman al-Khamees compiled these defects and similar matters in a small volume called: "Anwar al-Hilalayn fit-Ta'aqqabat 'alal-Jalalayn".

Comment

الحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله وعلى آله وصحبه، أما بعـد:
                    فإن تفسير الجلالين من التفاسير النافعة عظيمة القدر، وقد انتفع به خلق كثير، غير أنه فيه بعض الأخطاء، بعضها متعلق بتأويل بعض آيات الصفات على طريقة الأشاعرة. وبعضها متعلق بقصر العام على بعض أفراده. وذلك أن اللفظ أحياناً قد يصدق على عدة معان ويطلق عليها ويحتملها كلها أو يقصد به مجموعها، فلو قيل بأحدها فقط وطرح الباقي ولم يلتفت إليه لكان اطراحاً لمعان حقة هي جزء من مدلولات اللفظ. وبعض الأخطاء متعلق بإيراده لبعض الإسرائيليات. وقد جمع الشيخ محمد عبد الرحمن الخميس هذه الهنات ومثل لها في كتيب صغير سماه: أنوار الهلالين في التعقبات على الجلالين.

والله أعلم.

Here is a summary:

"Tafsir al-Jalalayn is among the beneficial Tafaasir of great value, by which a large number of people have benefited, except that it has some errors, some of which are related to Ta'weel of some of the verses of the Attributes upon the path of the Asha'irah. Some of the mistakes are related to restricting terms that are general in meaning to individual [meanings] ... and some of the errors are related to relating some meanings derived from the traditions of Bani Isra'il. Shaykh Muhammad Abd ar-Rahman al-Khamees compiled these defects and similar matters in a small volume called: "Anwar al-Hilalayn fit-Ta'aqqabat 'alal-Jalalayn".
                    JazakAllah khair

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimah1436 View Post
                      As salamu 'alaykum,

Just wondering if there are any good tafsir books out there, other than the one by Ibn Kathir?
                      What about Ma'ariful Qur'an (8 Volumes)... or Tafhim ul Qur'an (6 Volumes)?

Both are available in English and App format.

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

What about Ma'ariful Qur'an (8 Volumes)... or Tafhim ul Qur'an (6 Volumes)?

Both are available in English and App format.
                        Thanks, just downloading the app right now. Not sure who Mufti Muhammad Shafi is. Looks like he was Deobandi in belief, according to a quick Google search.

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimah1436 View Post

Thanks, just downloading the app right now. Not sure who Mufti Muhammad Shafi is. Looks like he was Deobandi in belief, according to a quick Google search.
                          Dheobandis follow matreedi aqeedah which is the actual issue

Comment

Really and truely best is ibn kathir

Comment

Working...
                            X