Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to listen to Quran- please advise

Salam,

So since I started doing ruqya years ago, I got into the habit of listening to Quran everyday and in particular the raqis I saw encouraged me to listen to surah baqara everyday. I think listening to it helps on some small level and I notice subtle changes in the house if I don't play it for a couple of days.

Anyway, as it's a long surah, I often scroll through my newsfeed whilst it's playing. I don't watch tv, or listen to music when it's on I avoid putting on anything with sound and just read the posts on social media. My dad complained to me last night that there's an ayah in the Quran that when you hear Quran being recited, you're supposed to sit and listen attentively but you scroll through social media and talk on the phone and sometimes leave the room (to use the bathroom- am I supposed to not use the bathroom?).

If it were a short surah or once in a while I wouldn't mind but this is two hours long, it's a chunk out of my day. Am I supposed to sit and avoid doing anything else for two hours whenever it's on? I don't want to stop listening to it regularly but I'm not sure how I'll pass the time if I were supposed to do this on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind doing that part of the time, for maybe half an hour or so, but longer than that everyday, I dunno.

Not sure what to do.
    Last edited by neelu; 05-05-21, 08:19 PM.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah. It's not necessarily answering the question, but personally, I would say it's better to recite it at least once every three days (when able).

Having said that, a reciter who recites at a quick-medium pace would take around 1hr 20 to 1hr 40m or so...

Download this app or something similar, Sr Newly, inshaa'Allah: Mp3 Quran
    http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...sef_o.MP3Qurua n_2 ... There's a huge list of reciters and it should help not becoming tired of listening to the same voice. It's also easy to find something of the right length.

If sister wants to have it recited every single day, then the obvious thing of course would be to split up listening to it throughout the day... Maybe 20m to half an hour each time...
    First thing in the morning, and before going to sleep being two of those times... (Ps, the kuffaar are able to meditate with their meaningless bits of background music, so inshaa'Allah, we should maybe take that as some motivation!)

If that's too difficult, then maybe some activities that allow us to still concentrate on the recitation. (If able, the ironing, vacuuming, cleaning, going for a walk, etc), inshaa'Allah.

It's true about the ayah. Something which we neglect to do mostly because many of us aren't aware of what's being recited so that's it easy to let it play in the background or recite with the brain sometimes on autopilot.

​​​​​

وَإِذَا قُرِئَ ٱلۡقُرۡءَانُ فَٱسۡتَمِعُواْ لَهُۥ وَأَنصِتُواْ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تُرۡحَمُونَ

When the Qur’ān is recited, listen to it and be silent, so that you may be blessed.

وَٱذۡكُر رَّبَّكَ فِي نَفۡسِكَ تَضَرُّعٗا وَخِيفَةٗ وَدُونَ ٱلۡجَهۡرِ مِنَ ٱلۡقَوۡلِ بِٱلۡغُدُوِّ وَٱلۡأٓصَالِ وَلَا تَكُن مِّنَ ٱلۡغَٰفِلِينَ

Remember your Lord in your heart with humility and awe, and without speaking loudly, in mornings and evenings, and do not be among the heedless.

إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ عِندَ رَبِّكَ لَا يَسۡتَكۡبِرُونَ عَنۡ عِبَادَتِهِۦ وَيُسَبِّحُونَهُۥ وَلَهُۥ يَسۡجُدُونَۤ۩

Surely, those who are with your Lord (i.e. the angels) are not arrogant against His worship, and they proclaim His purity, and before Him they prostrate themselves.

-Surah Al-A'raf, Ayah 204-206
    ​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts. Thank you! (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

Wa alaykum assalaam,
      If listening attentively is difficult it helps to follow along with a mus-haf or, even better, with the translation of the aayaat you're listening to.

Imam al-Tabari (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Allah says to those who believe in Him and in His Book, for whom the Qur’an is guidance and mercy: “So, when the Qur’an is recited”, to you, O believers; “listen to it”, i.e. lend your ears so that you might understand its verses and learn from its exhortation; “and be silent” and listen to it attentively, so that you might understand and ponder, and do not utter idle talk during it lest you do not understand; “that you may receive mercy” i.e., that you might receive the mercy of your Lord by heeding His exhortation and adhering to His limits and to what He enjoins upon you in the verses.
      [Tafseer al-Tabari, 13/244]

MashaaAllah, so many channels on YouTube have Qur'an recitations with both the verses and their translations showing on the screen at the same time.
      Allah's Messenger ﷺ said, "Allah said, 'O son of Adam! Spend, and I shall spend on you."

https://www.crisisaid.org.uk/appeals/yemen/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X