Cycle of waswaas, and laughter issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle of waswaas, and laughter issue

This is going to be long, but In shaa Allah it will help some people in a similar situation:

Does anyone else have issues with laughing at inappropriate moments? And by that I mean laughing in salah, in halaqas and stuff. Making jest regarding Islam is kufr and now I know this, it's become another point of waswaas/OCD for me.

I've asked sheikhs already and they said it was waswaas, which I'm pretty sure it is too, since I've already gone through common issues regarding that. Below are some examples of thoughts/compulsions I've had:

- Did I make wudu properly? Best do it again, I didn't rinse my mouth properly, or I didn't wash the far edges of my face, etc. Ended up wasting a lot of water but Alhamdullilah, improved on this front.

- Are my clothes clean? This seat I sat on, what if it is naajis? These shoes, these socks, these hands, this person is contaminated, that person is contaminated, this stain, that stain, I must change my clothes before praying, that person brushed against me and they must be unpure, I must wipe this seat before sitting, I must pray only on the inside of my cardigan and if I step off of this mat, I must pray again because the surrounding floor may have najaasa etc etc etc. This was obvious OCD and waswaas, and I eventually realised I was being dumb and no one behaved like this, so I relaxed regarding this.

- Then came waswaas in prayer, which was very hard tbh. What raka'ah am I in? Do I even know what salah I'm praying? Did I even make intention to pray? (silly, because how could I made wudu and stand facing qibla without intending to pray?) Then I worried about my posture, bowing too quick, sajdah too quick, my pronunciation is incorrect, nothing will be accepted, better pray again, can't pray in congregation, better pray again, lunch break is over, but I need to pray again, and again, breaking off salah midway, growing frustrated, dreading it, breaking the salah again, before finishing it, still not being satisfied, so delaying it until the last ten minutes before the next salah time, then praying it carelessly just so I could no longer trap myself in the cycle of salah repeats.

Again, I looked for similar experiences online, and again, the websites said it's waswaas, it's a plot of shaitan, have hope in the mercy of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, don't overburden yourself and dislike your deen because of it. Salah should be a point of thought/remembrance rather than mindless/distracted movements after all.

- Ok, so these sudden points of obsessions all took place in the span of around a year and a half. I had a brief worry about food being really halal once, but then I just ate suitable for vegetarian stuff and told myself it's on the manufacturers if this really isn't halal.

So, for every issue above, each time I would convince myself its waswaas, and give it a couple of days before settling back to how I was before.

But then, the worst.

Waswaas, not regarding physical issues, but some remnant of stress I got from the previous obsessions somehow managed to manifest itself in the form of aversion to Islamic stuff. I'll pray. I'll listen to some Ayahs from Surah Baqarah and other Surahs. But if I tried to do anything else, or if literally anyone talked about islamic things with me, I would internally panic because of the thoughts that would flit across my head. It's hard to explain, but it's like, I would try to think of what a non muslim would say about this, and whatsver their imagined response would be, is what I fixated on.

That went on for quite a while. Coupled with the general propaganda of the times/situations we're in, I thought negatively, then felt guilty, then felt absolutely awful because I still believed in hell and I still regarded myself as a Muslim, but I was scared of falling into hypocrisy. The Qur'an condemns hypocrisy so I would get randomly nervous before distracting myself with dunya then getting all upset/waswaas-obsessed later.

I had exams too at the time, so maybe that contributed, but idk? I then found a hadith on islamqa, where I read most of the stuff about waswaas, which said:

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “Some of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and said to him, ‘We find in ourselves thoughts that are too terrible to speak of.’ He said, ‘Are you really suffering from that?’ They said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘That is a clear sign of faith.’” (Muslim).

I'm not sure whether this is halal or not, but to try and convince myself to ease this stress, I began to build an imaginary case for myself in my head. For example, I had the urge to break my salah and start again. Sometimes I even already made the intention to break it, but I'd change my mind and carry on. I'd feel bad deep down, because I was just rushing to get back to work or whatever, but then I'd tell myself don't worry, it's waswaas and even if my concern is valid and the salah should be repeated, In shaa Allah I'll ask for forgiveness and Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) will forgive me because He is the most merciful and He won't reject my Islam from me.

Tbh I wasn't very good to my family and parents at this time. I wasn't shouting or violent or anything, but I was rude, sarcastic, had a habit of muttering "uff" when told to run errands etc. So I'd feel bad, and that would manifest itself in more waswaas. The worst thing is I knew I was being irrational, but I was scared that by not being super super careful, I was being negligent, and nothing would be accepted from me and all my duas rejected.

Alhamdullilah I looked for advice, thinking my situation was so unique, but after reading hadiths about people unsure whether they broke their wudu, fleeting thoughts they were too scared to talk about etc, I realised shaitan and his lot were just playing their same old pathetic game.

So here I find myself. Struggling with laughter which is not really laughter but feels like it could just possibly be a cough or a sharp breath signifying amusement at something that I should not be amused by. But anyway. Waswaas is waswaas. I just wanted to make this post so In shaa Allah if anyone is searching the internet in desperation one day (like I used to) they'll recognise these thoughts, and they'll be able to exit the cycle somehow.

Anyone else gone through similar?
    Last edited by Zeila; 10-04-19, 01:27 AM.

Originally posted by Zeila View Post
    This is going to be long, but In shaa Allah it will help some people in a similar situation:

Does anyone else have issues with laughing at inappropriate moments? And by that I mean laughing in salah, in halaqas and stuff. Making jest regarding Islam is kufr and now I know this, it's become another point of waswaas/OCD for me.

I've asked sheikhs already and they said it was waswaas, which I'm pretty sure it is too, since I've already gone through common issues regarding that. Below are some examples of thoughts/compulsions I've had:

- Did I make wudu properly? Best do it again, I didn't rinse my mouth properly, or I didn't wash the far edges of my face, etc. Ended up wasting a lot of water but Alhamdullilah, improved on this front.

- Are my clothes clean? This seat I sat on, what if it is naajis? These shoes, these socks, these hands, this person is contaminated, that person is contaminated, this stain, that stain, I must change my clothes before praying, that person brushed against me and they must be unpure, I must wipe this seat before sitting, I must pray only on the inside of my cardigan and if I step off of this mat, I must pray again because the surrounding floor may have najaasa etc etc etc. This was obvious OCD and waswaas, and I eventually realised I was being dumb and no one behaved like this, so I relaxed regarding this.

- Then came waswaas in prayer, which was very hard tbh. What raka'ah am I in? Do I even know what salah I'm praying? Did I even make intention to pray? (silly, because how could I made wudu and stand facing qibla without intending to pray?) Then I worried about my posture, bowing too quick, sajdah too quick, my pronunciation is incorrect, nothing will be accepted, better pray again, can't pray in congregation, better pray again, lunch break is over, but I need to pray again, and again, breaking off salah midway, growing frustrated, dreading it, breaking the salah again, before finishing it, still not being satisfied, so delaying it until the last ten minutes before the next salah time, then praying it carelessly just so I could no longer trap myself in the cycle of salah repeats.

Again, I looked for similar experiences online, and again, the websites said it's waswaas, it's a plot of shaitan, have hope in the mercy of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, don't overburden yourself and dislike your deen because of it. Salah should be a point of thought/remembrance rather than mindless/distracted movements after all.

- Ok, so these sudden points of obsessions all took place in the span of around a year and a half. I had a brief worry about food being really halal once, but then I just ate suitable for vegetarian stuff and told myself it's on the manufacturers if this really isn't halal.

So, for every issue above, each time I would convince myself its waswaas, and give it a couple of days before settling back to how I was before.

But then, the worst.

Waswaas, not regarding physical issues, but some remnant of stress I got from the previous obsessions somehow managed to manifest itself in the form of aversion to Islamic stuff. I'll pray. I'll listen to some Ayahs from Surah Baqarah and other Surahs. But if I tried to do anything else, or if literally anyone talked about islamic things with me, I would internally panic because of the thoughts that would flit across my head. It's hard to explain, but it's like, I would try to think of what a non muslim would say about this, and whatsver their imagined response would be, is what I fixated on.

That went on for quite a while. Coupled with the general propaganda of the times/situations we're in, I thought negatively, then felt guilty, then felt absolutely awful because I still believed in hell and I still regarded myself as a Muslim, but I was scared of falling into hypocrisy. The Qur'an condemns hypocrisy so I would get randomly nervous before distracting myself with dunya then getting all upset/waswaas-obsessed later.

I had exams too at the time, so maybe that contributed, but idk? I then found a hadith on islamqa, where I read most of the stuff about waswaas, which said:

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “Some of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and said to him, ‘We find in ourselves thoughts that are too terrible to speak of.’ He said, ‘Are you really suffering from that?’ They said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘That is a clear sign of faith.’” (Muslim).

I'm not sure whether this is halal or not, but to try and convince myself to ease this stress, I began to build an imaginary case for myself in my head. For example, I had the urge to break my salah and start again. Sometimes I even already made the intention to break it, but I'd change my mind and carry on. I'd feel bad deep down, because I was just rushing to get back to work or whatever, but then I'd tell myself don't worry, it's waswaas and even if my concern is valid and the salah should be repeated, In shaa Allah I'll ask for forgiveness and Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) will forgive me because He is the most merciful and He won't reject my Islam from me.

Tbh I wasn't very good to my family and parents at this time. I wasn't shouting or violent or anything, but I was rude, sarcastic, had a habit of muttering "uff" when told to run errands etc. So I'd feel bad, and that would manifest itself in more waswaas. The worst thing is I knew I was being irrational, but I was scared that by not being super super careful, I was being negligent, and nothing would be accepted from me and all my duas rejected.

Alhamdullilah I looked for advice, thinking my situation was so unique, but after reading hadiths about people unsure whether they broke their wudu, fleeting thoughts they were too scared to talk about etc, I realised shaitan and his lot were just playing their same old pathetic game.

So here I find myself. Struggling with laughter which is not really laughter but feels like it could just possibly be a cough or a sharp breath signifying amusement at something that I should not be amused by. But anyway. Waswaas is waswaas. I just wanted to make this post so In shaa Allah if anyone is searching the internet in desperation one day (like I used to) they'll recognise these thoughts, and they'll be able to exit the cycle somehow.

assallamu alaykum

sister ive been through severe waswasah although its been different to yours,
    ill give you the same advice the raqi on the ruqyah shariah forum gave me...

you should recite the 3 Quls ( Sura Ikhlas Falaq AnNas) at least 33x each day. Reciting more Quls is better

to weaken the evil jinns, so that they run away OR become weak, bi-iznillah, listen to the adhan from Masjeed Ceribon for at least 30 minutes each day
    here is a link to this adhan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6w4PJIoT-A

this adhan is very powerful listen to it with headphones

try to relax and not overthink things this will calm down your waswasah and laughter too InshaAllah

always remember the shaytaans plot is weak

i hope this helps sister remember me in your duas InshaAllah

JazakAllah Khair

Comment

JazakaAllah for your advice. Shaitan's plot is indeed weak and In shaa Allah he won't wear any of us down and get the best of us.

I listened to a lecture once, where the speaker said that Allah has given us a very clear and very accessible cure in the last three surahs. SubhanAllah. It's like the first surahs we memorise as children, where we seek protection from magic and jinn and ayn and general evil, but we just need to utilise it more rather than becoming superstitious or depressed etc

May your imaan stay strong, and fear and hopelessness never overtake you, and your situation here and in akhirah be good, In shaa Allah. Ameen. And the same for all other Muslims too

Comment

But then, the worst.

There is lots of advice and support for waswaas if you look online inshaAllah. But I would also suggest looking into CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) if you can, because what you describe sounds like OCD. Maybe CBT could help you, by Allah's permission
        اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ

Comment

Originally posted by The Awakening View Post
          There is lots of advice and support for waswaas if you look online inshaAllah. But I would also suggest looking into CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) if you can, because what you describe sounds like OCD. Maybe CBT could help you, by Allah's permission
          Yes, I did wonder if I had OCD, but to be honest with you, since it's only ever things to do with deen, then I figured it's more likely just waswaas and me being too gullible/ignorant to realise.

Anyway, all they tell people in CBT is to face your fears, stop being irrational etc etc. If I went CBT, realistically, what would they suggest? Stop doing wudu so many times? Pray and move on? Any local imam would have told me the same? And I doubt any person with waswaas would listen to the suggestions of a psychologist or whatever anyway, in fear of compromising their deen or being sinful

Alhamdullilah I don't obsess like I used to, since I found out it's a known issue within Islam and there are methods to deal with it. Some people with OCD take medicine for it, but that is for chronic cases, and if it's gotten that bad then CBT wouldn't have helped anyway. So I think OCD to do with deen is best treated with deen too

Comment

SubhanAllaah

I used to have that same/similar problem regarding (waswas of) laughing in Salah some years ago.
            When praying I would sometimes have a strong urge to laugh,
            Sometimes my breath would change or my voice would change a little while reciting and I would believe my Salah is broken. I would stop my Salah and start again.
            It used to cause me a lot of distress

Alhamdulillah, by the grace of Allah it is now non existent.

I also used to have similar problems with wudu and waswas of najaasah, and salah repeats.
            Majority of it is now non existent Alhamdulillah.

I also used to have waswas of shirk and kufr for a little while. This is now non existent Alhamdulillah.

I had even made a thread or two on here about them at the time when I was having these problems.

Comment

But then, the worst.

Sister I don't know what to comment also I don't have so much patience to read. I can suggest you to make account on Ruqyahshariyah forum they give good advice as well as amal to follow.
              http://www.ruqyashariyah.org/forum/

this site is helpful for people dealing with sihr/jinny etc. Try it out. But beware if you r too sick.dont do too many amals listed on the site it.makes you.more.sick.but in ShaAllah you will gain relief after sometime.

Comment

But then, the worst.

Salam sis,

Whatever you do, do not go to a raqi even though every one else might tell you to. Here is why, in Sahi Bukhari book of medicine it is stated in the hadith of 70000 muslims entering Jannah from Ummah of RasulAllah (sallAllah alayhis salam) that 70k muslims will be entering paradise without being questioned and they are those who do not seek Ruqya. It is quite a long hadith and I will leave it to you to check it out but also bear in mind the other authentic hadiths when RasulAllah (sallAllah alayhis salam) told a lady suffering from epilepsy that it is better for her to wait it out as it will wash away her sins. This is not to say that if you have a medicine for a disease you should not consume it because both disease and medicine came from Allah. However, for treatment of jinn/magic that hadith comes into play. Also the risk of falling into the hands of a magician is far greater than landing with a genuine raqi, in my humble opinion. Check out the ruqya (exorcism)session in Christianity and Hinduism to form your own opinion (risk of possible kufr upon believing in any of that perhaps?).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Sfe995 View Post
                  SubhanAllaah

I used to have that same/similar problem regarding (waswas of) laughing in Salah some years ago.
                  When praying I would sometimes have a strong urge to laugh,
                  Sometimes my breath would change or my voice would change a little while reciting and I would believe my Salah is broken. I would stop my Salah and start again.
                  It used to cause me a lot of distress

Alhamdulillah, by the grace of Allah it is now non existent.

I also used to have similar problems with wudu and waswas of najaasah, and salah repeats.
                  Majority of it is now non existent Alhamdulillah.

I also used to have waswas of shirk and kufr for a little while. This is now non existent Alhamdulillah.

I had even made a thread or two on here about them at the time when I was having these problems.
                  ! This is what I meant by shaytaan reusing the same tactics! It's very comforting to see that other people have been through the same, Alhamdullilah. The relief that comes after it passes is one of the best feelings too. In shaa Allah you won't fall back into it, now that you can look back and see that it was clearly waswaas.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz12 View Post

Salam sis,

Whatever you do, do not go to a raqi even though every one else might tell you to. Here is why, in Sahi Bukhari book of medicine it is stated in the hadith of 70000 muslims entering Jannah from Ummah of RasulAllah (sallAllah alayhis salam) that 70k muslims will be entering paradise without being questioned and they are those who do not seek Ruqya. It is quite a long hadith and I will leave it to you to check it out but also bear in mind the other authentic hadiths when RasulAllah (sallAllah alayhis salam) told a lady suffering from epilepsy that it is better for her to wait it out as it will wash away her sins. This is not to say that if you have a medicine for a disease you should not consume it because both disease and medicine came from Allah. However, for treatment of jinn/magic that hadith comes into play. Also the risk of falling into the hands of a magician is far greater than landing with a genuine raqi, in my humble opinion. Check out the ruqya (exorcism)session in Christianity and Hinduism to form your own opinion (risk of possible kufr upon believing in any of that perhaps?).

Cheers
                    Wa alaykumu salaam,

I've never been to a raqi and I never once thought of going to one, tbh. All the advice I've seen of dealing with waswaas has been to rely on Qur'an and use your common sense to avoid compulsions. Sunnah ruqia would pretty much involve the same

Is that hadith you mentioned based on the fact that pain/suffering wipes out sins?? And I have heard that removing demons in Christianity involves invoking the name of Isa (alaihi salaam) but some of the possessed are only acting, and others have Jinn that are just playing along or something? Most of their exorcism look theatrical anyway, and sometimes it's a Munchausen sort of thing were if you believe you're possesed then you'll act like it. Mufti Menk also did this lecture once where he said some saahir people are pseudo muslims, and tell you to do dodgy things to cure you of whatever, but end up being sihr/shirk. And if the issue goes away, people refer the magician and the sin gets work. May Allah protect us from that.

Comment

Last edited by Zeila; 17-04-19, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Wa alaykumu salaam,

I've never been to a raqi and I never once thought of going to one, tbh. All the advice I've seen of dealing with waswaas has been to rely on Qur'an and use your common sense to avoid compulsions. Sunnah ruqia would pretty much involve the same

Is that hadith you mentioned based on the fact that pain/suffering wipes out sins?? And I have heard that removing demons in Christianity involves invoking the name of Isa (alaihi salaam) but some of the possessed are only acting, and others have Jinn that are just playing along or something? Most of their exorcism look theatrical anyway, and sometimes it's a Munchausen sort of thing were if you believe you're possesed then you'll act like it. Mufti Menk also did this lecture once where he said some saahir people are pseudo muslims, and tell you to do dodgy things to cure you of whatever, but end up being sihr/shirk. And if the issue goes away, people refer the magician and the sin gets work. May Allah protect us from that.
                        Narrated Ibn `Abbas:
                        Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, 'Nations were displayed before me; one or two prophets would pass by along with a few followers. A prophet would pass by accompanied by nobody. Then a big crowd of people passed in front of me and I asked, Who are they Are they my followers?" It was said, 'No. It is Moses and his followers It was said to me, 'Look at the horizon.'' Behold! There was a multitude of people filling the horizon. Then it was said to me, 'Look there and there about the stretching sky! Behold! There was a multitude filling the horizon,' It was said to me, 'This is your nation out of whom seventy thousand shall enter Paradise without reckoning.' "Then the Prophet (ﷺ) entered his house without telling his companions who they (the 70,000) were. So the people started talking about the issue and said, "It is we who have believed in Allah and followed His Apostle; therefore those people are either ourselves or our children who are born m the Islamic era, for we were born in the Pre-lslamic Period of Ignorance.'' When the Prophet (ﷺ) heard of that, he came out and said. "Those people are those who do not treat themselves with Ruqya, nor do they believe in bad or good omen (from birds etc.) nor do they get themselves branded (Cauterized). but they put their trust (only) in their Lord " On that 'Ukasha bin Muhsin said. "Am I one of them, O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)?' The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Yes." Then another person got up and said, "Am I one of them?" The Prophet (ﷺ) said, 'Ukasha has anticipated you."
                        Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 5705
                        In-book reference : Book 76, Hadith 25
                        USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 7, Book 71, Hadith 606
                        (deprecated numbering scheme)
                        I am not an Islamic scholar so my opinion is as good as yours. However, one can see a trend in this hadith and the general concept of Jinn possession. The ruqya terminology is used in a group that contains pre Islamic lifestyle, and I think this 'ruqya' refers to going to a raqi rather than reciting Qur'an yourself. In line with this is the jinn possession phenomenon, where the two concepts "Jinn" and "possession" are never mentioned together except the ayahs about sihr, leading me to imagine perhaps the concept of kicking out jinns is more troubling than the phenomenon of possession. Many non Qur'anic excorcism methods exist in our society today and many of them are mentioned in the literature of famous Islamic scholars (though I'm not sure if they have been preserved like others), eg beating the crap out of someone who is 'possessed' which coincidentally also happens to be inline with the methods used in Hinduism, Christianity etc. If someone is already beaten (physically and mentally by satan) I cannot find any ayah of Qur'an or hadith that says that Allah's cure is equally tormenting, and certainly Allah knows best.

Comment

Working...
                        X