• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AbuNajm
    started a topic Fiqh of Ruqyah: "It is better not seek Ruqyah"

Fiqh of Ruqyah: "It is better not seek Ruqyah"

As-Salaamu Alaykum,

Ibn Haajib al-Maliki and Shihab ad-Deen an-Nafrawi both mention in their books of Fiqh that there are two levels to Muslims- those who seek Ruqyah and cures for their sicknesses and those who do not. They both say that the higher level is the group who does not seek Ruqyah or cures.

Shihab ad-Deen says:

"Abandonment of seeking of Ruqyah is recommended with respect to the one who has the strength to exercise patience upon the harm of sickness as it is reported to have been said to [Abu Bakr] as-Siddeeq: "We will call a doctor for you." So, he said: "Doctors make me sick". And what is recommended with respect to the weak is to do so [i.e. seek Ruqyah]."

See al-Fawakih ud-Dawani, 2/338

Ibn Haajib relates the following about Umar bin Abd al-Azeez:

"It was said to him, "Shall we not bring you a doctor?" He said: "By Allah, if I knew that my cure lay in raising my hands to my ear lobes, I would not raise them." It was also related that he said: "I committed a grave sin, so I cried over it for 40 years." It was said to him: "What was the sin?" He replied: "I became sick, so I made Ruqyah and [the sickness] broke." Thus, he treated the Ruqyah as a sin from which he sought forgiveness."

Ibn Haajib explains that this approach towards Ruqyah is the high degree of a Muslim, whereas the second state is when a person is unable to bear a sickness with patience.

See al-Madkhal, 4/116

• Abu 'Abdullaah
    replied
    Originally posted by Dawood_125 View Post

May allah guide you. Be careful of hurting the believer.
    Oh, are you hurt? Perhaps you should think about being a little more honest and open.

Leave a comment:

• Dawood_125
    replied
    Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

You're a bit dodgy so we won't hang on to your words about what is correct or incorrect.
    May allah guide you. Be careful of hurting the believer.

Leave a comment:

• Abu 'Abdullaah
    replied
    Originally posted by Dawood_125 View Post
    People misunderstand the hadith and take it literally. The Ruqyah which wont make you part of the 70k are those who sought ruqyah via incorrect means not from the sunnah
    You're a bit dodgy so we won't hang on to your words about what is correct or incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Dawood_125
    replied
    People misunderstand the hadith and take it literally. The Ruqyah which wont make you part of the 70k are those who sought ruqyah via incorrect means not from the sunnah

Leave a comment:

• Abu 'Abdullaah
    replied
    Patience is better than cure.

Leave a comment:

• AbuNajm
    replied
    Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

Is this related to illness being a means by which sins are expiated?
    That is definitely part of the suffering of a Believer, however I didn't see that mentioned in the Shuruuh for this particular Hadith. It was more about mentioning the ranks of Muslims and how the elite and Awliyaa' bear with patience what happens to them. They bear with patience until Allah sees fit to relieve them.

Leave a comment:

• Kuntumaytan
    replied
    Originally posted by AbuNajm View Post

The scholars mentioned that not seeking Ruqyah is superior because it is a demonstration of contentedness with the Decree. I translated the explanation of Mulla Ali al-Qari for this Hadith in another thread. Check my recent posts to find it, In Sha' Allah.
    Ah ok jazakallah khair

Leave a comment:

• Abu 'Abdullaah
    replied

The scholars mentioned that not seeking Ruqyah is superior because it is a demonstration of contentedness with the Decree. I translated the explanation of Mulla Ali al-Qari for this Hadith in another thread. Check my recent posts to find it, In Sha' Allah.
    Is this related to illness being a means by which sins are expiated?

Leave a comment:

• AbuNajm
    replied
    Originally posted by Kuntumaytan View Post

Can you explain why it is superior to not undergo Ruqya as Ruqya is asking Allah to cure you? Is there any particular reason behind why Raulullah said it

Leave a comment:

• Kuntumaytan
    replied
    As-Salaamu Alaykum,

Ibn Haajib al-Maliki and Shihab ad-Deen an-Nafrawi both mention in their books of Fiqh that there are two levels to Muslims- those who seek Ruqyah and cures for their sicknesses and those who do not. They both say that the higher level is the group who does not seek Ruqyah or cures.

Shihab ad-Deen says:

"Abandonment of seeking of Ruqyah is recommended with respect to the one who has the strength to exercise patience upon the harm of sickness as it is reported to have been said to [Abu Bakr] as-Siddeeq: "We will call a doctor for you." So, he said: "Doctors make me sick". And what is recommended with respect to the weak is to do so [i.e. seek Ruqyah]."

See al-Fawakih ud-Dawani, 2/338

Ibn Haajib relates the following about Umar bin Abd al-Azeez:

"It was said to him, "Shall we not bring you a doctor?" He said: "By Allah, if I knew that my cure lay in raising my hands to my ear lobes, I would not raise them." It was also related that he said: "I committed a grave sin, so I cried over it for 40 years." It was said to him: "What was the sin?" He replied: "I became sick, so I made Ruqyah and [the sickness] broke." Thus, he treated the Ruqyah as a sin from which he sought forgiveness."

Ibn Haajib explains that this approach towards Ruqyah is the high degree of a Muslim, whereas the second state is when a person is unable to bear a sickness with patience.

See al-Madkhal, 4/116
    Can you explain why it is superior to not undergo Ruqya as Ruqya is asking Allah to cure you? Is there any particular reason behind why Raulullah said it

Leave a comment:

• Saif-Uddin
    replied
    Abu Najm I didnt say Ruqya only reffers to jinn posessions/afflictions

for Jinn possession/affliction people

Is it better to suffer the Jinn than to try and be rid of it?

Some scholars saying obligatory to get rid of the Jinn possession, others saying they should put up with it?

Can you post some scholars Fatawa telling us ita better to out up with Jinn possession/affliction?
    Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 25-10-18, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AbuNajm
    replied
    Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    You realise Ruqya is typically done for Jinn possession?
    I realize that the treatment for Jinn-related suffering is referred to as "Ruqyah". However, in the usage of the classical scholars, Ruqyah was used to refer to suffering not related to Jinn.

That's why the treatment for animal/insect bites is referred to as "Ruqyah" as well.

You just said its its better to put up with illnesses, most people don't do ruqya for illnesses, they seek medical treatment,
    Are you stuck on terminologies? "Illness" is just a general term.

The superiority of not seeking Ruqyah or remedies for illnesses does not appear to be limited to Jinn-related suffering or purely physical suffering.

Are you suggesting that the scholars distinguished between "medical" issues and Jinn-related suffering when they mentioned the superiority of not seeking treatment? I would be interested in seeing a reference for this, if you could find one, In Sha' Allah.

The Hadith about the 70,000 who enter Paradise without account refers to one of the groups as "Laa yastarquun", in other words, "they do not seek Ruqyah".

If, as you say, "Ruqyah" only refers to Jinn-related suffering, then this should suffice as evidence for you of the superiority of not seeking Ruqyah in general.

هَذَا مِنْ صِفَةِ الْأَوْلِيَاءِ الْمُعْرِضِينَ عَنْ أَسْبَابِ الدُّنْيَا وَعَوَائِقِهَا الَّذِينَ لَا يَلْتَفِتُونَ إِلَى شَيْءٍ مِنْ عَلَائِقِهَا، وَتِلْكَ دَرَجَةُ الْخَوَاصِّ لَا يَبْلُغُهَا غَيْرُهُمْ، وَأَمَّا الْعَوَامُّ فَرَخَّصَ لَهُمْ فِي التَّدَاوِي وَالْمُعَالَجَاتِ، وَمَنْ صَبَرَ عَلَى الْبَلَاءِ وَانْتَظَرَ الْفَرَجَ مِنَ اللَّهِ سُبْحَانَهُ بِالدُّعَاءِ كَانَ مِنْ جُمْلَةِ الْخَوَاصِّ وَالْأَوْلِيَاءِ، وَمَنْ لَمْ يَصْبِرْ رَخَّصَ لَهُ فِي الرُّقْيَةِ وَالْعِلَاجِ وَالدَّوَاءِ

"This is from the characteristics of the Awliyaa' who turn away from the means of the Dunya and its obstacles who do not turn to any of its attachments. And this is a degree of the elite that none other reaches. As for the common people, then it is a Rukhsah, or lightening of the Shari'ah, for them with regards to treatments and cures. And whoever bears patiently with afflictions and awaits relief from Allah by means of Du'a, glorified is He, is from the group of the elite and the Awliyaa'. And whoever is not able to bear patiently, he many take the Rukhsah of Ruqyah, treatments, and medicine."

Explanation of the Hadith of the 70,000 who enter Jannah without account, by Mulla Ali al-Qari in his Mirqat al-Mafatih, vol. 8, page 3,315

I'm asking about Jinn possession,

Are we to advise the victim to just put up with it?
    That would be one view of the scholars. Some scholars consider it obligatory to seek a cure and they interpret the Hadith about the 70,000 differently.

Leave a comment:

• Saif-Uddin
    replied

I didn't suggest anything about Jinn possession in general. No one has asked me until now, that I know of.
    You realise Ruqya is typically done for Jinn possession?

You just said its its better to put up with illnesses, most people don't do ruqya for illnesses, they seek medical treatment,

I'm asking about Jinn possession,

Are we to advise the victim to just put up with it?

Leave a comment:

• AbuNajm
    replied

What about Jinn possession, are you suggesting the person should just tolerate it?
    I didn't suggest anything about Jinn possession in general. No one has asked me until now, that I know of.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X