Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Availability of allergen-free food

Salam,

Can anyone confirm that plant-based milks are available in makkah/madinah? I've tried emailing bin dawood supermarket but they didn't reply, and the answers we got on g00gle maps didn't sound definitive. I don't fancy spending 4 weeks coughing like a TB sufferer :( And I'd rather not fill my suitcase with soya milk if I can help it, as I drink about 2 cartons a week!

They wouldn't add dairy to bread would they? Just simple wholemeal loaves should be easy to find?

How much money should I take to cover food costs? I can't eat the hotel stuff, all brown things. I can easily live off steamed potatoes and veg, and sandwiches, roughly how much money would that cost, does anyone know? We're going for 4 weeks. Also they must sell ready salted crisps, right? How much would they cost for a multipack? I know I must sound stupid, but there are so few foods I can bear to eat, and with the milk and egg allergy, even less that I can without feeling unwell. I've already lost a lot of weight recently, I don't want to waste away, nor be a burden to the others because of not getting enough to eat and feeling faint or whatever. So that's why I'm quite worried about this.

Jazakallah everyone.

PS I did notice they sell all the different coloured carrots in bin dawood! yAy! And there should be a good selection of fruit available?
    Islamic Prints
    ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
    PALEO!

Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

I've never been to Saudi so I don't know, but one way of making your own plant based milk is to soak a handful of cashews overnight and then blend it with some water the next day. I've used that to make smoothies and it tasted great and cashews wouldn't weigh much or take up much room in a suitcase. Other than that, sorry, I don't know.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Bin Dawood should have non dairy milk. As regards money for food , obviously it depends on your budget and spending habits. £300 should be more than sufficient.

Comment

£300? Whoa. Better take a trip to the bank then.
        Jazakallah.
        I don't fancy making my own milk, a blender would take up more space than the milk.
        Islamic Prints
        ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
        PALEO!

Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

Comment

Salam,

For anyone else, potatoes are about 5SR for round half a kilo in bin dawood. You can get tinned sweetcorn in the local shops. Our operator's kitchen staff gave me free carrots every day. The makkah branch near the haram had only two types of soya milk that i could find, I think about 5SR for 300ml glass bottle. One was a multi grain sort, one a fortified chocolate flavour soya shake. They had very nice vegan friendly choc chip cookies too (voortman brand).

​​​​​​​The hypermarket is quite far away, we never went.

​​​​​​​There are lots of fast-food shops, plain chips 5SR.

​​​​​​​The madinah branch had alpro nut milks, plus Arabian brand soya milks (didn't check the price, but I'm guessing they'd be fairly pricey compared to UK prices). They didn't have the purple carrots :(

​​​​​​​No you can't buy multipack crisps! But they have the big sharing bags. (their lays crisps have trans fats so get the crunchips brand instead).

​​​​​​​The only dairy free brand of bread I saw was the l'usine brand. It doesn't taste too good though.

​​​​​​​The fruit selection wasn't very good, and bin dawood was quite pricey for fruit, so check the local shops.

​​​​​​​Most of their fruit juice drinks have weird additives, but there are some brands that are fruit only.

​​​​​​​Hope this will be helpful for anyone else with special diets. I really don't know how people with serious allergies would survive this though

​​​​​​​In the end I didn't even get through £100 (including presents)! Although my parents did pay for some of my food. I do have a small appetite though.

​​​
          Islamic Prints
          ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
          PALEO!

Comment

Working...
          X