Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me plan our first Umrah w/o agents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help me plan our first Umrah w/o agents

    My family and I are planning on going for Umrah this winter break, Inshallah. My parents completed hajj few years ago but for rest of us siblings this is the first time we will be going to Saudi. Because we have specific time off from work, we could not line it up with a package (tour group) plus I was I was bit lazy and missed out on one that could have worked for us. Now it is sold out. So I am trying to plan our visit. Any information you can give will be appreciated. Info on transportation to sightseeing/must do to hotel. I have a travel agency that will process our visa for us, so that is taken care of and hotel should not be too hard. I am more worried about handling logistics in Saudi.

    Transportation: Is it easy to get around over there? How do people get from Jedda to Maak to Madina? Are the bus readily available or do we have to go out of our way to coordinate it. I heard there is a new train? What is the best way to get around in Maaka and Madina, to see different masjid. Do people walk everywhere or taxi or uber/lyft?

    Sightseeing/knowledge: I am not very knowledgeable, I know the basics but I worry if I will get the maximum benefit on my own. Things that an expert can teach me or show me, give me more history..etc.. Is there tour options in umrah, like they have in touristy city, to show us where the mazar is or the 1st masjid ever build is ..etc.. Are there things we can sign up for over there and do them. tbh I learn best from others teaching me and we wouldn't mind spending a little more to experience/gain as much as possible. Even for umrah, I have some reading material that my brother gave me but I don't know many of the duas & rituals. It will be nice to have a guide

    Are there some recommendation you have/must do activity/must see place in Makka, Madina and Jedda? We have 2 weeks and I am hoping I can stay a night in Jedda to explore that city after umrah. Any general recommendation you have for first time Umrah? Is there any food I must try? any shopping area I must visit? Specific clothes we should carry? There will be 6 of us, inshallah



  • #2
    What dates are you thinking?

    Comment


    • #3
      Still working on the exact date but somewhere between Last week of December and first week of January: Dec 22 - Jan 10th. Most likely Dec 31st to Jan 9th
      Last edited by Kya; 30-10-18, 09:23 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just go there! there are people who are there to help people like you.They will charge you money offcourse but you will get what you want! hope this will be your first of many visits.
        NO RACISM

        Comment


        • #5
          Make sure you go to masjid quba in madina. One prayer there is multiplied by like 100 or something i forgot. Also check out the museum next to the prophets mosque.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ElNino View Post
            Just go there! there are people who are there to help people like you.They will charge you money offcourse but you will get what you want! hope this will be your first of many visits.
            That is what I was hoping that there are people I can hire there. One concern I have is, not all of us know all the duas & any special namaz we might have to read in certain place (is there any, I know there are duas). We can research it online and learn it before it but we might forget something once we get there. Are there imams there to help guide too

            Comment


            • #7
              Get a hajj/umrah prayer book. That should help you with the duas In Sha Allaah.

              (I might bump into you - as we are planning to go around the same time In Sha Allaah - what are the chances of that?)

              Comment


              • #8
                This seems like a good website with tips and info: https://muslimtravelgirl.com/diy-umr...or-your-umrah/

                We took the VIP SAPTCO bus from Makkah to Madinah and it was great and affordable as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Got the flight done. I really wanted to do a stop over in Turkey as we are connecting thru Istanbul but stopover increased flight price significantly and not everyone in the family wanted to pay the extra fee plus it just made things complicated to our already complicated plan. So we skipped all the extra stuff and going straight to Mecca for 14 days (IA) family of 6 & my parents will stay extra few days in Medina to complete 40 wakth prayer.

                  Now I have to book hotels. My parents are going and they both can not walk too much. I am trying to find something close but stay within budget as 14+ days in hotel can add up the cost. We are thinking of 2 rooms (4 men in one room & 3 women in one room).

                  Any recommendation in hotel? How far is too far for you? I am terrible with distance, is 0.5mil too far by walking? I think so :S
                  Is it better to go to Makka first or medina first? Is it better to stay in makka consecutive days vs. splitting the days so we can get multipule umrah done? ex if we go straight to Makkah and perform our Umrah + 2 more days of ibadath. Then go to Medina and stay few days. Then come back to Makkah and perform another umrah & stay for few more days before flying out from Jeddah. Is that not allowed or not recommended?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kya View Post
                    Got the flight done. I really wanted to do a stop over in Turkey as we are connecting thru Istanbul but stopover increased flight price significantly and not everyone in the family wanted to pay the extra fee plus it just made things complicated to our already complicated plan. So we skipped all the extra stuff and going straight to Mecca for 14 days (IA) family of 6 & my parents will stay extra few days in Medina to complete 40 wakth prayer.

                    Now I have to book hotels. My parents are going and they both can not walk too much. I am trying to find something close but stay within budget as 14+ days in hotel can add up the cost. We are thinking of 2 rooms (4 men in one room & 3 women in one room).

                    Any recommendation in hotel? How far is too far for you? I am terrible with distance, is 0.5mil too far by walking? I think so :S
                    Is it better to go to Makka first or medina first? Is it better to stay in makka consecutive days vs. splitting the days so we can get multipule umrah done? ex if we go straight to Makkah and perform our Umrah + 2 more days of ibadath. Then go to Medina and stay few days. Then come back to Makkah and perform another umrah & stay for few more days before flying out from Jeddah. Is that not allowed or not recommended?
                    salaam brother (assumption!)

                    its your choice, noone can really tell you what is or isnt correct - much of what you ask in your final para is personal preference. IN a way, there is no such thing as 'better' - its your choice.... So decide what you want and build your programme around it. no-one is there to measure or judge you, so your own choices and intentions in front of Allah SWT are the important ones to focus on - as should be the same with each person in your group.

                    Umrah is based on your intention and then actions... the prescriptive parts are very very easy and you can find those on google with some simple searches.... pull off a few and compare and you will see they are mostly the same...

                    You have a group which includes elderlies ... inshallah make it easy for them and for yourself. Dont include too much traveling if you can avoid... im exhausted just reading about your intentions... the road journey between mecca and medina can be tiring and long, and at times dangerous....

                    in so far as multiple Umrahs there is differing thinking on this, im not qualified to speak on it, best to ask a learned person on these matters.... i got told in no uncertain terms by my elderly father on my last umrah, i couldnt do multiple in one visit to Mecca (by using the Miqat of Masjid Aisha) ... though others were doing so, and I had also done so previously... but i didnt want to upset him so we just did the one.

                    as far as recommendations etc , you need to do the full research and knowledge seeking yourself... thats probably why there havent been many replies to this thread.... brothers and sisters wont reply if they feel you havent done the legwork yourself.... and the info is out there in books, pamphlets, internet, learned persons, mosques etc....

                    hotels - use any of the normal search engines... trip advisor, expedia etc .... use google maps to see where they are in relation to the mosques... for me Ive used Conrad and the old Hilton Suites in Mecca and Anwar Movenpick in medina - you cant really get anything much closer.....

                    but if half a mile is too far for you, i think you will struggle... Umrah (and hajj) is physically demanding so consider this in everything you do..... just so you know, depending on your physical positioning in the courtyard or upper levels, the actual umrah will require you to cover somewhere between 2 and 4 miles on foot... assuming your not in a wheelchair... there are wheelchairs for elderly for a price......

                    inshalah may allah SWT reward your intentions and actions and wish you and your group the very best in your Umrah ....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ukfamilyman View Post

                      salaam brother (assumption!)

                      its your choice, noone can really tell you what is or isnt correct - much of what you ask in your final para is personal preference. IN a way, there is no such thing as 'better' - its your choice.... So decide what you want and build your programme around it. no-one is there to measure or judge you, so your own choices and intentions in front of Allah SWT are the important ones to focus on - as should be the same with each person in your group.

                      -------

                      inshalah may allah SWT reward your intentions and actions and wish you and your group the very best in your Umrah ....
                      JazAk Allah Khair for your input. Yes I have not done all the leg works yet. We are in beginning phase and just finalized flight (dates), not focusing on hotel. We did find someone who knows someone who will take care of our transportation. The masjid few city over had a umrah/hajj prep lecture last weekend, which we went to. Alhamdulilah that was very helpful and he also gave reading material along with his presentation. I still have to read those but getting everyone on same page, matching dates & getting an agreement on hotel & how many days where is still not finalized. All information is useful.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by hiba78630
                        If you're US citizen then easily book your umrah package online from this website, http://www.cheapumrahpackage.us this is the most trusted travel agency in the USA. and If you want any details related to Hajj & Umrah so feel free to visit this website blog.
                        another advertiser or spammer - please tread carefully when opening links or using these types of recommendations.
                        Be vigilant please

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hiba78630
                          If you're US citizen then easily book your umrah package online from this website, http://www.cheapumrahpackage.us this is the most trusted travel agency in the USA. and If you want any details related to Hajj & Umrah so feel free to visit this website blog.
                          the report button seems to have disappeared - can someone please report this post as adverting. thanks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kya View Post
                            My family and I are planning on going for Umrah this winter break, Inshallah. My parents completed hajj few years ago but for rest of us siblings this is the first time we will be going to Saudi. Because we have specific time off from work, we could not line it up with a package (tour group) plus I was I was bit lazy and missed out on one that could have worked for us. Now it is sold out. So I am trying to plan our visit. Any information you can give will be appreciated. Info on transportation to sightseeing/must do to hotel. I have a travel agency that will process our visa for us, so that is taken care of and hotel should not be too hard. I am more worried about handling logistics in Saudi.

                            Transportation: Is it easy to get around over there? How do people get from Jedda to Maak to Madina? Are the bus readily available or do we have to go out of our way to coordinate it. I heard there is a new train? What is the best way to get around in Maaka and Madina, to see different masjid. Do people walk everywhere or taxi or uber/lyft?

                            Sightseeing/knowledge: I am not very knowledgeable, I know the basics but I worry if I will get the maximum benefit on my own. Things that an expert can teach me or show me, give me more history..etc.. Is there tour options in umrah, like they have in touristy city, to show us where the mazar is or the 1st masjid ever build is ..etc.. Are there things we can sign up for over there and do them. tbh I learn best from others teaching me and we wouldn't mind spending a little more to experience/gain as much as possible. Even for umrah, I have some reading material that my brother gave me but I don't know many of the duas & rituals. It will be nice to have a guide

                            Are there some recommendation you have/must do activity/must see place in Makka, Madina and Jedda? We have 2 weeks and I am hoping I can stay a night in Jedda to explore that city after umrah. Any general recommendation you have for first time Umrah? Is there any food I must try? any shopping area I must visit? Specific clothes we should carry? There will be 6 of us, inshallah

                            Assalamualaikum , i try to share a bit from what I know.
                            Firstly, I think its better to do the tour group, no matter what. But i understand that its time constraint for you already.

                            Transportation, Im not sure whether the train is already available, but if it is, take it. Save the journey time, it cuts down a lot of time. As bus rides from jedda to madina is like 6 hours approximate. But its still ok, you be sleeping in the bus, but not really that comfortable. Definitely you need a taxi or bus to go from Masjid nabawi / your hotel to elsewhere. You can't walk everywhere because the distance is definitely far. Around the mosque for Nabawi there are 2 museums. 1 is the 99 names and the other one is museum on prophet. Ive been only to 99 names and its worth going. at the end of the museum there is a shop, you can buy stuff there.
                            Other than that its Masjid nabawi and shopping centres. there are a few historic places/mosque(lesser known) around masjid nabawi, but it depends on your time, if you have limited time or so, you can go other time.
                            Masjid quba is really recommended definitely.

                            For Makkah also same, transportation all the way. there is a tourist bus where they take you places, its like kind of a double decker or something but ive never tried it.

                            sightseeing, oh wait i just covered that above.
                            knowledge, go for classes is better, hearing the explanations. you have to have a mutawif to guide you there unless you know everything youself ( all the rituals/steps)
                            there are quran/ tajweed classes in masjid nabawi , but you have to know the timings. Ive sat in 1 before. you can find your local language, ask them where to find english teacher etc, as there are other language. At masjidil haram there may be lectures at the rooftops etc, but im not too sure how to join them. There is also iktikaf at both mosques, you have to sign up with them or no need, im not sure.

                            for Madinah, I would say visit the baqi cemetery (definitely ) which is beside the prophet's cemetery. Such a beautiful place mashaAllah. Its where family and companions of our prophet are buried. take note of closing and open times.

                            Shopping area, for Makkah, i would recommend the clock tower shopping centre, they got good quality gifts, and dates etc. outside the shops may be cheaper but you have to know recommendations and reviews ,otherwise the quality is not guaranteed. Because not all shops are good.

                            for Madinah, shopping heaven. Lol . Its best if you buy the dates around here. you can get everything at the ben dawood supermarket ( almost everything)
                            there is a taiba shopping centre or something like that.
                            restaurant, you can try al baik chicken ( ive never tried it but i heard its the best, queues are long , i didnt wait coz not worth it)

                            so yeah, write a lot , plan ahead. Google is your best friend for researches on the reviews etc.
                            get a sim card too :)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MuslimThinker View Post


                              so yeah, write a lot , plan ahead. Google is your best friend for researches on the reviews etc.
                              get a sim card too :)
                              JZK for your input. Our umrah is coming near, in few weeks, & I don't have everything planned yet. Inshallah everything falls in place. The agency that is applying for our visa said they have people in Mecca/Medina who can be a semi-guide for us. I am hoping he has everything covered for us or that everything falls in place (self explanatory). I have been studying and watching youtube video & lecture but you never know until you are there.

                              Inshallah, pray for us. I hope I can find the class you mentioned, I would love to attend few lectures.

                              Anyone has advice on things to pack for 12 days Umrah trip, please share

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X