is it haram.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it haram.

i want to know is it forbaded to have long nails???or one can have long but clean nails??

plz guid me.
    Please Re-update your Signature

Fiqh of Nails: Men and Women

Answered by Shaykh Ilyas Patel

Q.What is the ruling of having long nails? Should a lady have them?

A. It is mentioned in Hashiy aa l-Tahtawi, Sharh Maraqi-al Falah as follows:

(The issues mentioned below apply to women also)

“From the completion of cleanliness is clipping nails and shaving hair. It is mentioned in Khaniy a and Khulasa in Kitabal-Istihsan as follows:

A person who has fixed his time to clip his nails or shave his head on a Friday, the scholars say, if he severely delays until the following Friday and goes beyond his fixed time, it is offensive (makruh). Because whoever has long nails he will have a confined sustenance and earning. If one goes beyond the limit and delays taking the bless words of the Ahadith, then is mustahab, (preferable) as it has been reported by Aisha (Allah be pleased with her) that ‘whoever clips and pares nails on Friday, Allah will give him refuge from the calamities until the following Friday and three days extra.’

It is mentioned in the Book of Istihsan of Quhistani from Zahidi as follows:

‘It is preferable (mustahab) to clip ones nails, trim ones moustache, shave ones armpits and cleans ones once every week. The day of Friday is preferable (mustahab) then every fifteen days and beyond forty days is sinful.’

It has been mentioned in a hadith that whoever pares and clips ones nails on Friday, Allah will remove illness from one and give one cure.’

Also, it has been mentioned, that, ‘whoever uses a siwak (toothstick) on Friday and trims ones moustache, pares ones nails and plucks out hair of the armpits, then he has made Janna compulsory upon him.’

It has been narrated from Thawri the clipping nails on Thursday is preferable. Some scholars have said it a means for richness. But the Ahadith regarding the preferability of Friday are more, so this will not contradict it. The evidence of the ahadith shows that clipping should be done before the Salat-al-Jumu’a. And what is mentioned in some books regarding the preferabilty of clipping of the nails etc after the salat, in order that one can prepare for Jumu'ah, is justification and explanation against the clear text of the Qur’an. (which commands one to prepare for the Salat al-Jumu’ah and this can be ONLY done before, not after)

The nails should be clipped according to the order mentioned in this famous poem as follows as mentioned in Sharal-Shar’a:

Pare your nails with sunna and adab

Starting from the right and ending on your left

It is mentioned in Fath al-Bari that Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal has mentioned this method.

Sharaf Damyati narrates from some scholars that whoever clips ones nails indifferent (from what is mentioned) will not have sore eyes. He has experienced this for a long time.

But the mentioned method of clipping nails has been disproved by Ibn Daqiq al-Id.

He has mentioned that, there is no basis for all of this, and also to show that it is preferable has no evidence. But it can be refuted as beginning with right hand and foot has a basis. The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) use to like beginning with the right in all his purifications, wearing the shoes and all other matters’ (Bukhari and Muslim). And also to begin with the hands before the feet like in wudhu.

Whatever is mentioned regarding clipping the nails of Ali (Allah be pleased with him) etc is all baseless e.g. manifesting of a gangrenous sore in clipping the nails on Friday; taking away of blessings on Sunday; gaining honor and status on Monday; ruin and danger on Wednesday; bad traits on Thursday; richness on Thursday and forbearance and knowledge on Friday.

Clipping the nails means to remove the excess of the nail of the finger with a scissor, knife etc. It is offensive to remove nails with the teeth, as it creates leprosy and insanity. Also it is offensive to remove nails during the state of major ritual impurity (janaba).

The meaning of ‘clipping and paring the nails’ is that dirt can accumulate beneath the nails, thus causing an impurity. It can reach such a stage that it can prevent water from reaching the parts that is compulsory to reach in tahara (purification).

(Allama Tahtawi, Hashiy aa l-Tahtawi, Sharh Maraqi-al -Falah pg 429,430)

www.sunnipath.com
    [CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/B][FONT=Verdana][B]My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.[COLOR=sienna]- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi[/COLOR][/B]

[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][CENTER][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Shaykh al-Shadhili

[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Jibreel (as)
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [B][I][SIZE=4] ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ[/SIZE]<o></o>[/I][/B]
    [B]O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
    Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. [COLOR=Sienna]- Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

[/COLOR][/B][I][B][SIZE=4]أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.[COLOR=Sienna]ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I]
    [/CENTER]

Comment

Cutting Hair & Nails During One's Period
      Answered by Sidi Faraz Rabbani

Q. In this community, when some females have their Haid they do not cut their nails nor wash their bodies (even if the nails are very long or they get dirty during work) till their Haid is finish. Furthermore, any hair that comes out when brushing their hair is kept till their Haid is finish so that it can be disposed of during their Fard ghusl. A sister has looked in both "Reliance...." and "Al Hadiyato Linnisia" and could not find a basis for these actions. Has such actions a basis in the sunnah, is it Mustahab, Jaiez or a Urf?

A. Walaikum assalam,

What is mentioned is that it is somewhat disliked (makruh tanzihan) to cut one's hair or nails while in a state of major ritual impurity. [al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, Hashiyat al-Tahtawi `ala Maraqi al-Falah, al-Hadiyya al-`Ala'iyya]

However, not cutting nails, pubic and armpit hairs past 40 days is sinful. If nails are unduly long, it would be permitted for a menstruating woman to cut them.

As for not taking a bath during hayd, I have not heard about it. It does not seem correct, however. If someone knows some basis for this, please tell.

Wassalam,
      Faraz Rabbani.

www.sunnipath.com
      [CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/B][FONT=Verdana][B]My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.[COLOR=sienna]- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi[/COLOR][/B]

[/FONT][/CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][CENTER][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Shaykh al-Shadhili

[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Jibreel (as)
      [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [B][I][SIZE=4] ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ[/SIZE]<o></o>[/I][/B]
      Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. [COLOR=Sienna]- Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

[/COLOR][/B][I][B][SIZE=4]أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.[COLOR=Sienna]ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I]
      [/CENTER]

Comment

What is the fiqh of trimming nails?
        Answered by Mufti Yusuf Mullan, Toronto

Q. What is the fiqh of trimming nails?

A. In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate. May His abundant blessing and most perfect of peace be on His Beloved Prophet, the best of creation, and his family, companions and followers.

Trimming the nails is from the prophetic traditions. The fuqaha explain that:

1. It is sunnah to trim them once every week, preferably before the Friday prayer.

2. To delay their trimming for 15 days is permissible,

3. After 15 days, i t becomes blameworthy and disliked.

4. To go beyond 40 days without trimming them is sinful .

[Tahtawi ‘ala al-Maraaqi]

And Allah knows best.

Yusuf Mullan
        Toronto Shariah Program

[/FONT][/CENTER]
        [/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Comment

Question :

What is the ruling on those who let all or some of their nails grow long?
          Answer :
          Praise be to Allaah. </SPAN>

Letting the nails grow long is makrooh, if not haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set a time limit for cutting the nails, and said that they should not be left for more than forty days. (Narrated by Muslim in al-Tahaarah, 258).

It is strange that those who claim to be civilized leave their nails to grow even though they trap dirt and make a person look like an animal. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Use whatever causes blood to flow, and eat the animals if the name of Allaah is mentioned on slaughtering them. Do not slaughter with teeth or fingernails and I will tell you why: it is because teeth are bones (i.e., cannot cut properly) and fingernails are the tools used by the Ethiopians (whom we should not imitate for they are infidels).” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari in al-Sharikah, 3507; Muslim in al-Adaahi, 1968). This refers to the fact that they used to use their fingernails as knives to slaughter animals and cut the meat, etc. This is the way of those who resemble animals.

Kitaab al-Da’wah, 5. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/79 (www.islam-qa.com)
          http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=21606&dgn=4

[/FONT][/CENTER]
          [/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Comment

Yes or no? Just say it &quot;OPENLY&quot;

Dear Brother/Sister in Islam

I really didn't undestand Why don't you say openly that to have long nail is prohibited in Islam. Although you are mentioning every aspect of the case tirelessly but when it comes to giving "certain answer" you are not there.

I read your writing 2 times and not to see "Yes or No" in it, just purely frustrating,

I request you to add yes or no to your anser and change your incertainty in CERTAIN CASE forever for your sake of both this World and the Hereafter.

Ma'ssalam,

Comment

Re: Yes or no? Just say it &quot;OPENLY&quot;

Originally posted by Chained_Water View Post
              Cutting Hair & Nails During One's Period
              Answered by Sidi Faraz Rabbani

Q. In this community, when some females have their Haid they do not cut their nails nor wash their bodies (even if the nails are very long or they get dirty during work) till their Haid is finish. Furthermore, any hair that comes out when brushing their hair is kept till their Haid is finish so that it can be disposed of during their Fard ghusl. A sister has looked in both "Reliance...." and "Al Hadiyato Linnisia" and could not find a basis for these actions. Has such actions a basis in the sunnah, is it Mustahab, Jaiez or a Urf?

A. Walaikum assalam,

What is mentioned is that it is somewhat disliked (makruh tanzihan) to cut one's hair or nails while in a state of major ritual impurity. [al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, Hashiyat al-Tahtawi `ala Maraqi al-Falah, al-Hadiyya al-`Ala'iyya]

However, not cutting nails, pubic and armpit hairs past 40 days is sinful. If nails are unduly long, it would be permitted for a menstruating woman to cut them.

As for not taking a bath during hayd, I have not heard about it. It does not seem correct, however. If someone knows some basis for this, please tell.

Wassalam,
              Faraz Rabbani.

www.sunnipath.com
              Originally posted by Erkilic View Post
              Dear Brother/Sister in Islam

I really didn't undestand Why don't you say openly that to have long nail is prohibited in Islam. Although you are mentioning every aspect of the case tirelessly but when it comes to giving "certain answer" you are not there.

I read your writing 2 times and not to see "Yes or No" in it, just purely frustrating,

I request you to add yes or no to your anser and change your incertainty in CERTAIN CASE forever for your sake of both this World and the Hereafter.

Ma'ssalam,
              the answer is clear

However, not cutting nails, pubic and armpit hairs past 40 days is sinful.
              So if you don't cut your nails for 40 days, then it is haram (sinful). Having long nails is makrooh (VERY DISLIKED and DISCOURAGED)
              http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=1381&CATE=3

http://www.lifeofmuslim.com/2013/05/...ong-nails.html

Comment

Working...
              X