No announcement yet.

quotes of the salaf thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is reported that a man once wrote to Ibn ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with them:
    Please write down all knowledge for me. Ibn ʿUmar replied: Knowledge is vast, but if you can meet Allāh having kept your back light of the burden of people’s blood, your stomach void of people’s wealth and having kept your tongue from [disparaging] their honour, then do so.

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 3:222
    "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

• It is reported that Abū Muslim Al-Khawlānī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
      The example of the scholars on earth is that of the stars in the sky: when they appear, the people are guided (they navigate using the stars), but when they disappear, the people get confused and lost.

Al-Bayhaqī, Al-Madkhal ilā Al-Sunan Al-Kubrā #287
      "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

• Abu Bakr and Umar with The Prophet Today
        It is reported from Sufyān b. ʿUyainah – Allāh have mercy on him – that a man once asked ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn b. ʿAlī b. ʾAbī Ṭālib – Allāh have mercy on him, What was the status of Abū Bakr and ʿUmar with Rasūlullāh – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him? He replied, Their place with him is like their place with him today (i.e. where they are in their graves).

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 4:254

Comment

• Never Give Up Re­pent­ing It is reported that a man came to ʿAlī – Allāh be pleased with him – and asked, What do you think about a man who committed a sin? He replied, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. [The man] said, He did that, but then sinned again? [ʿAlī] said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. The man again said, He did that, but returned to sin. [ʿAlī] said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. The man said for the fourth time, He did, but then sinned again. ʿAlī then said, Until when? Then he said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him; and not give up until it is Shayṭān who is defeated [overcome].

Hunād b. Al-Sarī, Kitāb Al-Zuhd article 910

Comment

• It is reported that Hasan b. Rabī’ asked ‘Abdullāh b. Al-Mubārak – Allāh have mercy on him – about the meaning of the hadith, “Seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim”. He replied:
            It is not [the expert knowledge of hadith and fiqh] you are seeking. Seeking knowledge is an obligation when a man comes to something concerning his religion (dīn): he is to ask about it until he knows it.

Al-Khatīb Al-Baghdādī, Al-Faqīh wa Al-Mutafaqqih article 162.

Comment

• Delving into Falsehood (I’ll take what’s good) It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Ad-ham – Allāh have mercy on him – said: Delving into falsehood removes the ability to recognize the truth from the heart. Abu Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyā` 8:22.

Comment

• It is reported that Wahb b. Munabbih – Allāh have mercy on him – used to say:
                The believer mixes with others in order to learn, keeps quiet to keep safe (from sinning), speaks in order to understand, and secludes himself for the attainment (of good).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-‘Uzlah article 99.

Comment

• It is reported that Ya’lā b. ‘Ubayd said, “We entered upon Ibn Sūqah, who said: ‘O nephew, let me relate to you something that will hopefully benefit you; for it benefited me. ‘Atā b. Abī Rabāh once said to us:'”
                  Those before you used to consider idle talk to be anything other than the Book of Allāh, or the enjoining of good, or the forbidding of evil, or speaking for the sake of your basic living needs. Do you deny that there are recording angels appointed over you? Sitting on your right and your left? Never is a word said except there is an observer prepared to record? Are you not afraid (ashamed) that your record of words and deeds be spread open only to discover that there is nothing of the hereafter in it?

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 5:86

Comment

• Two Rare Things in Decline

It is reported that Yūnus b. ‘Ubayd – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
                    I do not know anything rarer than a good dirham (money earnt lawfully) whose owner spends it on something right, or a brother in Islām in whose company one finds peace. And they are only getting rarer.

Abu Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyā` 3:17

Comment

• Who are The Jama’ah (Main Body of the Muslims)?

It is reported that Isḥāq b. Rāhuway – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
                      If you ask the ignorant: ‘Who are Al-Sawād Al-Aʿẓam (Main Body of the Muslims)?’ they will say, ‘All the people (together).’ But they do not know that The Jamā’ah (Main Body) is a scholar who follows the footsteps of the Prophet – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him – and his way. So whoever is with him and follows him is [one of] The Jamā’ah, but whoever contradicts him in it leaves The Jamā’ah.

Abū Nu’aym, Ḥilyatu Al-Awliyā` 9:238,239 et al

Comment

• The Revival of Knowledge It is reported that Imām Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Those of our scholars who went before us used to say,”Adherence to the Sunnah is salvation, but knowledge is taken away quickly, so the revival of knowledge means the stability of religion and worldly affairs, and the loss of knowledge means the loss of all that.”

Al-Lālakā`ī, Sharh Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah article 136

Comment

• Umar b. Al-Khattāb once entered upon Abū Bakr – Allāh be pleased with them both – and found him pulling at his tongue. He said, “Oh, what are you doing?” Abū Bakr replied, “It is this (i.e my speech) that has brought me so much trouble.”
                          Mālik, Al-Muatta 2:988

Comment

• The Highest Standard It is reported that Sufyān b. ‘Uyainah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
                            Verily, the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ is the highest standard; things are measured by him: his character, lifestyle and behavior. Whatever agrees with [these] is true and correct, and whatever contradicts [them] is wrong.

Al-Khatīb Al-Baghdādī, Akhlāq Al-Rāwī wa Ādāb Al-Sāmi’ article 8.

Comment

• It is reported that Muhammad b. Sīrīn – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
                              If the Dajjāl appears, I believe the heretics (People of Desires, Bid’ah) will follow him.
                              Al-Lālakā`ī, Sharh Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:131

Comment

• Mālik b. Mighwal said:
                                Al-Sha’bī once said to me, “When these [people] report to you from Allāh’s Messenger – praise and peace of Allāh be upon him, adhere to it; but when they merely opine, throw it in the trash.”

Al-Dārimī, Al-Sunan 1:78.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X