quotes of the salaf thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Take Our Religion from the Companions ʿAbbād b. Al-ʿAwwām narrates:

Sharīk b. ʿAbdillāh came to us around fifty years ago, and we said to him, “O Abū ʿAbdillāh, here amongst us there are people from the Muʿtazilah who reject these āḥādīth [like]: ‘Allāh descends to the lowest heaven’, and ‘the people of Jannah will see their Lord’. So Sharīk narrated to me around ten such narrations, then said: ‘As for us, we have taken our religion from the sons of the Tābiʿīn, from the Ṣaḥābah. Who have they taken from?’”

Al-Ḏahabī, Al-ʿUluw. Graded ṣaḥīḥ by Al-Albānī in Mukhtaṣar Al-ʿUluw article 146.
    "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

• The Worst Fitnah It is reported that Ḥudhayfah – Allāh be pleased with him – was asked:

“What is the worst fitnah?” He replied, “That good and evil is presented to you and you do not know which of them to follow.”

Ibn Abī Shaybah, Al-Muṣannaf, Kitāb Al-Fitan, article 38565.
      "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

• Three Exhorters It is reported that ʿAbd Al-ʿAzīz b. Abī Rawwād – Allāh have mercy on him – said to a man:

Whoever does not take exhortation [and is not effected] by three things, will not be exhorted by anything: Islām, the Qurān and old age (graying).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-ʿUmr Wa Al-Shayb #40

Comment

• Final Blame and Praise It is reported that Khālid b. Maʿdān – Allāh have mercy him – said:

Whoever seeks praise by [saying or doing] what goes against Allāh, Allāh will turn those praises back on him to blame; and whoever is bold enough to [say or do] what brings blame [from people but] is in conformity to the truth, Allāh will turn that blame into praise.

Abū Dāwūd, Al-Zuhd #494.

Comment

• Allied Souls

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
            If the people were gathered on one plain, all of them believers, except for two unbelievers amongst them, they would join each other. And if the people were gathered on one plain, all of them unbelievers, except for two believers amongst them, they would join each other.

Ibn Baṭṭah, Al-ʾIbānah Al-Kubrā 1:455

It is also reported that he said:
            The souls of people are allied together (like for like), they meet and detect one another like horses do; those that recognise each other come together, and those that disapprove each other, separate. If a believer entered a mosque in which there were a hundred people, amongst them only one other believer, he would end up sitting with him. And if a munāfiq entered a mosque in which there were a hundred people, amongst them only one other munāfiq, he would end up sitting with him.

ibid.

It is reported that Al-Fuḍayl b. ʿAyyād – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
            The souls of people are allied together, those that recognise each other come together, and those that disapprove each other, separate; and [thus] it is not possible for a follower of the Sunnah to compromise with an adherent of Bidʿah ever, except out of nifāq (hypocrisy).

Op. cit. 456

Comment

• It is reported that Mālik – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
              It is upon whoever seeks knowledge to have a solemn, dignified demeanour, fearful [of Allāh]; and to follow in the footsteps of those who went before him.

Comment

• Verbal Security

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. ʿAmr b. Al-ʿĀs – Allāh be pleased with them – said:
                Leave alone what you have nothing to do with, and do not speak about what does not concern you, and secure your tongue like you secure your money.

Ibn Ḥibbān Al-Bustī, Rawḍatu Al-ʿUqalāʾ 1:55.

Comment

• Wolves in Sheeps’ Clothing It is reported that Abūl-ʿĀliyah said:

There will come upon the people a time when their hearts will be derelict of the Qurān; they will find neither sweetness nor pleasure by it. If they fall short of doing what they have been commanded to do, they will say: Allāh is most forgiving, merciful (He will forgive us), and if they do what they have been forbidden from doing, they will say: we will be forgiven, we haven’t committed any shirk with Allāh. Their affairs will all be based on [false] hope, having no truth and sincerity with it. They will wear the skins of lambs over hearts of wolves. The best of them in his religion will be someone who compromises.

Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd article 1741.

Comment

• It is reported that ʿUthmān b. ʿAffān – Allāh be pleased with him – once addressed the people in a sermon. He praised Allāh, then said:
                    O people! Fear Allāh and obey Him, for piety is a valuable prize. Verily the most intelligent person is he who takes account of himself and works for what comes after death, and acquires through the light (guidance) of Allāh a light for the darkness of the grave.

The servant of Allāh should fear lest Allāh the Mighty and Sublime resurrects him blind though he used to see. A few comprehensive words can be enough for a wise man, whereas the deaf (who does not listen to guidance) is being called from afar.

And know that whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is with has nothing to fear; but whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is against, then in whom can he hope after Allāh?!

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 4:116,117.

Comment

• Just Playing

It is reported that Imām Mālik – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
                      Whatever you fool around with, don’t fool around with your dīn (religion).

Al-Lālakāʾī, Sharḥ ʾUṣūl ʾIʿtiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:163

Comment

• It is reported that Masrūq – Allāh have mercy him – said: There is no house better for the believer than the niche of his grave, for then he will rest from the worries of this world, and be secured from the punishment of Allāh.

Ibid. #87

Comment

• Speech Therapy [Exhortation] It is reported that a man saw Ibn ʿAbbās – Allāh be pleased with them – holding the tip of his tongue saying:

Woe to you, say what is good and you will reap gain, and be silent from speaking evil and you will be safe.

The man asked him:

O Ibn ʿAbbās, what is the matter that I see you holding the tip of your tongue saying such-and-such?

He replied:

It has reached me that the servant of Allāh will not be as angry at anything on the Day of Resurrection as he will be at his tongue.

Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd p236

Comment

• Comprehensive Reliance Saʿīd b. Jubayr – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Tawakkul (reliance and trust in Allah) comprehends all of Īmān.

Hunād b. Al-Sarī, Al-Zuhd #534.

Comment

• Aḥmad b. Yūnus reports:
                              I saw Zuhayr b. Muʿāwiyah come to Zāʾidah b. Qudāmah (d.160H) and speak to him to get him to narrate ḥadīth to a man, so Zāʾidah asked, Is he from Ahl Al-Sunnah? Zuhayr replied, I do not know that he has any bidʿah. Zāʾidah said, No, that is another matter! Is he from Ahl Al-Sunnah? Zuhayr said, Since when have people become like this? Zāʾidah replied, Since when did people curse Abū Bakr and ʿUmar?!

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baghdādī, Al-Jāmiʿ li Akhlāq Al-Rāwī #754.

Comment

• Sometimes the Manners Surpassed Knowledge

It is reported that Imām Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
                                We used to sometimes come to a scholar and what we learned of his manners was more beloved to us than the knowledge we took from him.

Abū Nuʿaym, Ḥilyatu Al-ʾAwliyāʾ #4575

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X