Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zakat, Charity, Sadaqah

ASWRWB

As promised to brother yunus I am doing a thread on what I know around the rules of zakat, charity sadaqah etc. I hope that the brother can make this a sticky and people can add and debate as appropriate

I will do sections rather than a huge long post as I know it becomes difficult to read. The purpose is not to create argument but to inform and inshallah if I have made mistakes then they are mine

Re: Zakat, Charity, Sadaqah

The only Muslims who are eligible for Al-Zakat are:

Al-Fuqaraa poor Muslims,
    Al-Masakeen needy Muslims,
    Al-‘Aamileen A’liyha those genuine Collectors and distributors of the funds,
    Al-Mu’alafati Qolubouhum new Muslims,
    Fil-Riqaab Slave Muslims who wish to free themselves,
    Al-Gharimeen Muslims who have lawful debts and/or bloodmoney to pay,
    Fi-Sabeelillah Muslims fighters i.e. Al-Mujahideen and
    IbnAl-Sabeel the wayward Muslim travelers

and this is an Obligation from Allah for He is Al-A’leem Al-Hakeem" [EMQ 9:60].

Comment

Zakat as a collective is something that falls under the authourity of the khalif under a khilafa system only the Al-'Aamileen A’liyha i.e. those appointed by Al-Khalifah are in a position to collect and distribute Al-Zakat.

Al-'aamileen A’liyha is "The collectors (As-Su'aat) and the distributors (Al Musaddikoun) of Zakat who are appointed by the Khalifah or his deputies, in order to collect Zakat from those who are liable to pay it and to distribute it to those who are eligible for it."

Organisation like Islamic relief and zakat foundation cannot adopt these duties as they are specific to the khalifa and his appointed people

Imam Al-Sarkhasi Al-Hanafi in his book Al-Mabsout volume 2 page 162 says: “Al-Zakat is a divine right of Allah (SWT) and is to be collected and distributed by Al-Khalifah or his deputies(only) and whoever pays his Zakat to anyone else, as a collector of Zakat not appointed y the Khalifah, will not remove the burden of paying Zakat from his neck.”

There is unanimous agreement on this from all the schools and I can quote more later

Comment

Something that has come up recently with regards to Syria I will mention here

People are organising charity dinners and other events to raise money, we need to look into the event before participating and thinking we get reward for giving sadaqah

For example locally brotehrs and sisters do charity dinners where you buy a ticket for £20/£30 and attend an event where you get a 3 course meal. The venue and food is provided by the organisers and ALL your money goes to Syria

Be aware though that sadaqah has the condition of being given with free will and NOTHING in return. paying for a ticket which gets you a meal is trade and not sadaqah

Comment

Just to be clear not having a khilafah does NOT mean we don't pay zakat. It is still an individual obligation for those who are able to pay zakat

Comment

Originally posted by nonameakhi View Post
            Just to be clear not having a khilafah does NOT mean we don't pay zakat. It is still an individual obligation for those who are able to pay zakat
            yeah, you can give the zakat directly to the eligible person or family :)
            Please forgive me if I have ever offended you. :jkk:

My Humble Blog..

Comment

Originally posted by lala24 View Post
              yeah, you can give the zakat directly to the eligible person or family :)
              yes akhie its known in the science of usool ul fiqh as FARDH NAA'EB ie delegated to a khalif when khilafa is established and individual when absent

Comment

yes akhie its known in the science of usool ul fiqh as FARDH NAA'EB ie delegated to a khalif when khilafa is established and individual when absent
                true :jkk:
                Please forgive me if I have ever offended you. :jkk:

My Humble Blog..

Comment

many charities quote the ayat about people getting paid for collecting zakat as justification to take a percentage for admin costs etc

This is false as that is specific to zakat and the Khalif will dictate what the collector gets.

Sadaqah given for a purpose has to be 100% given to that purpose and any taking of it is haram.

Comment

many charities quote the ayat about people getting paid for collecting zakat as justification to take a percentage for admin costs etc

This is false as that is specific to zakat and the Khalif will dictate what the collector gets.

Sadaqah given for a purpose has to be 100% given to that purpose and any taking of it is haram.
                    I used to work for a very well known charity who tell their staff to tell donors this. Sadly this is widely accepted as being true.

Comment

Originally posted by مسلمة View Post
                      I used to work for a very well known charity who tell their staff to tell donors this. Sadly this is widely accepted as being true.
                      many try to do this as a justification. many just put the word ''zakat'' in the title yet some of the warnings are scary eg

Imam Al-Hadawi in his book Uyoun Al-Azhaar fi Fiqh Al-Aimmah Al-Atthaar at page 137 says: “The responsibility of the collection of Zakat is a duty upon Al-Imam externally and internally and whoever pays it to anyone else will not remove the burden from his neck, even if he is ignorant, because it is a matter known by necessity.”

yet these maters are unknown by so many and here the significance is that ignorance is no saving grace

Comment

Imam Ibn Hazim in his book Al-Muhalla in volume 5 at page 268 says: “Al-Mussaddiq is the one appointed by Al-Khalifah to collect Al-Sadaqaat” he added in the same book in volume 6 at page 44 : “Al-‘Aamil is the collector of Al-Zakat and his situation can be one of two: ither a) he is appointed by Al-Khalifah or his deputy who we are obliged to obey or b) he is sent to us by one who we are not obliged to obey . If the collector has been appointed by anyone different than the Khalifah or his deputy we are not obliged to obey him nor are we allowed to pay him our Zakat for Allah (SWT) and his Messenger did not permit others to collect Al-Zakat, nor we are allowed to hand it to them and whoever pays them any money he/she is sinful and does not remove the burden from his/her neck and must pay Al-Zakat gain. Those who pay Al-Zakat to a false collector i.e. one not appointed by Al-Khalifah, are aggressors, commit an act of aggression and a prohibited deed because the Messenger Muhammad (SAW) said: “Any deed not based on our command is prohibited”.

Comment

:)
                          Last edited by dizzyfish; 22-02-15, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyfish View Post
                            So can we give the zakat to someone from the family who distributes it to the poor in their hand without taking a portion for themselves?

in terms of zakat if you know someone poor and eligible say in Pakistan, and I happen to be going and you give it to me to give them then yes that would be fine. But if I set up a zakat collection agency I would be sinful and you would be too and would have not removed the obligation of zakat by giving to my organisation

In terms of general charity ie sadaqah then sure if I set up an account and say I will be taking money to Pakistan to distribute to the poor 100% of it then that would be ok. If I took a percentage of that money for myself it becomes haram for me to collect and you to give once you know

Comment

:)
                              Last edited by dizzyfish; 22-02-15, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X