Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghusl for the deceased

Salaam,
    What is the correct way to perform ghusl for deceased? I witnessed one for the first time which left me confused with some of the practises but didn't dare ask any questions as i obviously was in no position to challenge them. I want the step by step, most accurate method in accordance with Sunnah (references would be great) Thankyou in advance.

Re: Ghusl for the deceased

Ghusl of the Deceased

1. Once all the preparations for the grave and kafan are complete and the deceased is about to be given a bath, a wooden bed or platform should be brought and incense sticks or any other type of perfume should be burnt around that wooden bed. After the incense is burnt for an odd number of times around the bed, lay the deceased person onto it and remove his clothing. Cover the area between his navel and knees with a piece of cloth so that this portion of his body remains covered.

2. If the place where he is being bathed is such that the water will flow away, then this will be good. If not, dig a hole under the wooden bed so that all the water will collect at that spot. If a hole was not dug and the water spread throughout the house, even then there is no sin in this. The object is that one should not have difficulty in walking about, and no one should slip and fall.

3. The method of bathing the deceased is as follows: First wash the private parts of the deceased. However, do not touch the private parts with your hands nor look at them. Instead, wrap your hands with a cloth and wash his private parts by inserting your hands under the cloth that was originally placed over the area between his navel and knees.

Thereafter, make wudu for him. However, do not gargle his mouth, do not pour water into his nose nor wash his hands upto his wrists. Instead, wash his face first, thereafter his hands upto his elbows, make masah of his head and then wash both his feet. It is also permissible to wet some cotton wool and cleanse his teeth, ear lobes, and nostrils. If the deceased was in a state of impurity or a woman was in her haid or nifaas, it will be obligatory to wash these parts in the way mentioned.

The nostrils, ears and mouth should be sealed with cotton wool so that water does not go inside at the time of wudu or ghusl. After making wudu for him, apply some soap or any other cleaning agent to his head and cleanse it. Thereafter, make the deceased lie on his left side and wash him with water that has been made hot with berry leaves (or any other cleansing agent). This water should be poured three times from head to toe until it reaches his left side. Thereafter, make him lie on his right side and pour water in the same way three times. Use such an amount of water that will reach his right side.

Having done this, make him sit up while leaning him back slightly and rub his stomach gently. If any stool or urine comes out, wipe it and wash it off. The expulsion of urine or stool will not affect his wudu and ghusl in any way and there is no need to repeat this. Thereafter, make him lie on his left side again and pour camphor water three times from head to toe. Thereafter, wipe his body with a cloth or towel and make him wear his kafan.

4. If there is no water that has been made hot with berry leaves, ordinary warm water will suffice. He should be washed three times in the same way mentioned above. Very hot water should not be used to bathe the deceased.

This method of bathing the deceased is the sunnah method. If someone does not bathe the deceased three times in this way but washes his entire body once only; even then the fard will be fulfilled.

http://www.muslimkids.8m.net/DEATH.htm

Comment

Thanks for this but I wanted references from Hadith, but thanks for the info

Comment

salaam

for rulings, scholarly articles are better than hadiths for they are basically all the relevent evidences [all hadiths and Quranic ayahs that have a bearing on the final rulings] turned into rulings

all the evidences will be hard to come by for 1, and even if someone did then we would not know how to interpet them

hope this helps

Comment

Walaikumasalam bhai,
          I understand what you mean, That makes sense. It's just ive come across some versions saying you wash the right side first, then left and wonder where these differences come from. Or things like using camphor or rose water, which is better etc

Also, things like placing things inside the coffin (in the uk) like pages of prayers, writing Kalimah on kaffan, kaba threads on the eyelids of deceased, sorry if that last bit is perfectly fine but it gave me a 'funny' feeling. Just want to make sure if I ever do it for someone I don't do it wrong or add things in that shouldn't be done etc

Comment

you can't make sure from hadith alone Sister, for just as Bhai1 said, they need to be put into context and an expert intepretation needs to be derived from them; also some hadiths may be abrogated by others, thus it's best to leave the 'practical knowledge' of it to the Scholars; you can trust that article above for it is from the great Ashraf Ali [ra] of Deoband :up:

salaam!

Comment

Originally posted by Coolmummy View Post
              Walaikumasalam bhai,
              I understand what you mean, That makes sense. It's just ive come across some versions saying you wash the right side first, then left and wonder where these differences come from. Or things like using camphor or rose water, which is better etc

Also, things like placing things inside the coffin (in the uk) like pages of prayers, writing Kalimah on kaffan, kaba threads on the eyelids of deceased, sorry if that last bit is perfectly fine but it gave me a 'funny' feeling. Just want to make sure if I ever do it for someone I don't do it wrong or add things in that shouldn't be done etc
              None of those things have a basis.

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Comment

Farah A eesa the kiwi

​​​​​​​What is the correct way we do it please?

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
                  Farah A eesa the kiwi

What is the correct way we do it please?
                  Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

​​​​​​​Apologies sister but I don't know the answer
                  Each person has inside a basic decency and goodness. If he listens to it and acts on it, he is giving a great deal of what it is the world needs most. It is not complicated but it takes courage. It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it.

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

Apologies sister but I don't know the answer
                    Thanks for trying though

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
                      Farah A eesa the kiwi

What is the correct way we do it please?
                      Here is a guide to Washing and Shrouding for Muslims https://janazahservices.com/washing-and-shrouding

Assalamu Alaykom Sister
                      ALLAH AL-ATHEEM created everything. Therefore ALLAH AL-ATHEEM created the earth and everything in the earth and created all of the heavens and everything in all of these heavens and created all of the hells and everything in all of these hells and created all of the universes and everything in all of these universes and created everything in between them.

Comment

Originally posted by ABDEL-ATHEEM View Post

Here is a guide to Washing and Shrouding for Muslims https://janazahservices.com/washing-and-shrouding

Assalamu Alaykom Sister
                        Much appreciated jazakallah khurn

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X