[Part 1 - more to follow InshaAllah]

COMMENTARY OF SURAT AL-FATIHA
    (Written by `Ali al-`Iraqi)

In the name of Allah, The Compassionate, The Merciful

Please Re-update your Signature

[Part 2 - more to come InshaAllah]

1. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,

Al-hamdu lillah instead of the broken plural , due to
    the prevalent use of the sound plural for intelligent beings.

As for it is the plural of , a word that contains in it self
    the meaning of or sign. Essentially because the worlds are
    nothing but signs pointing to their Maker.

Comment

2. The Compassionate, the Merciful

The adjectives and are in a superlative form.
      Both come from the root R H M which contains the meaning of doing or
      wanting good for somebody. From the same root is derived the word
      ar-rahman) and as well as with the
      believers in particular (ar-rahim).

Comment

3. King of the Day of Judgment.

Comment

4. You (alone) we worship and You (alone) we ask for help.

Comment

5. Guide us along the straight path,

The meaning of ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim

Comment

6. The path of those whom You have favored;

It is referred to the believers. According to another opinion, it is referred
              to the prophets, the truthful ones, the ones who die in the way of Allah
              (shuhada) and the righteous ones (salihin). According to another opinion
              it is referred to the followers of Moses and Jesus before they tampered
              their respective messages and become abrogated.

It is not specified how have they been favored due to the greatness and
              immensity of the divine favor.

Comment

7. Not (the path) of those who earn the anger nor of those
                who go astray.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Allah is the One Who knows what is correct. May Allah bless and
                grant peace to our Master Muhammad and to his Family and
                Companions. We have enough with Allah and in Him we put our trust.
                There is no strength nor power but by Allah, the Great, the Sublime.

Ali Laraki

Comment

asa
                  Dear Sunni your translation is very surfacial-verbal and lacks in depth any indication of what has been said about this wonderful surah.
                  Your interpretation of some of the words is too little in depth and meaning.
                  Your reference to only two schools of sunnah shows your limited knowledge of all others.
                  my comments and queries:
                  1-Rab - why not Allah - we know that qoran is extremly sensetive about selection of words- your definition was trivial.
                  2-Alamin - why not one universe? the choice of plural form is not accidental or what you said.
                  Islam and kingdom have no relationship at all so please stop using kingdom of allah- again. the correct one is MAAlek-totally inclusive form.
                  as you can see I can go on so I wait to here from you.

Comment

actually there is differnt style for reciting, in Warsh style they say malik not maalik, so you need to understand this about different qiraat before attacking brother sunni post.

thank you.

Comment

Assalamu alaykum,

Actually eqdam, I disagree with what you have said above except that the surah is indeed a wonderful Surah.

A lengthier discussion can, of course, be found elsewhere and may be to your liking but I personally did find the above very useful.

As for the issue of malik or maalik then as Abdul Rahman mentioned this is to do with the different styles of qiraat of the Qur'an.

Perhaps others eg. abdulhakeem or perhaps you can provide a tafsir more to your liking.

I would also suggest http://www.tafsir.com/Default.asp for Ibn Kathir's discussion on this wonderful surah.

Wasalam.

Comment

asa
                        Well Sunni this is where you are fataly wrong.
                        Arabic pronounciation is very very much case sensetive.
                        If you want to say Maalek as exclusive owner-then it is Maalek and nothing else.
                        Malik (King) is totally a misfit in this surah.
                        and for your info-I have seen the clear Kufi style of this surah which one can see the word Maalek very clearly.
                        Most importan is not to change Qoran by reciting it differently.
                        if some Qaare`a for the sake of tuning and beautification of recitation use it, well sorry they too are wrong.
                        I try to get hold of the picture of the surah in kufi style and paste it hear.
                        More over nobody is allowed to change a complete A (alef) to smal a (vocal) in Qoran.
                        and remember it is clear in laws of Tajwid (Recitation laws).

Comment

Assalamu alaykum akhi eqdam,

I am afraid it is painfully clear that you are unfamiliar with the ten Qir'aat of the Qur'an - all of which have authentic chains of narration to the Prophet salallahu alayhi wasalam (seven being mutawatir and three being mashur in narration).

Akhi, there are still scholars of Tajweed that have ijazah in all these Qir'aat - I suggest you contact them and discuss this issue with them as I am not an expert of Tajweed myself.

I would, however, once more like to point out to you that the reading of Malik as opposed to Maalik is a valid reading in some of the different schools of qiraat - so please seek knowledge on this issue before proclaiming that I am "fatally wrong". Perhaps you have only heard the Hafs qiraat and are therefore getting a bit sensitive regarding this point?

Wasalam.

Comment

.لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                            نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                            دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Masha Allah, i want to ask a question:
                              some Alim say there are 6 verses in the Surah Al Fatiha and some other say 7, so whats right?

Comment

Working...
                              X