Concubines in Islam.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concubines in Islam.

Salaam. Excuse me for the long post but I feel some background on this will help. I don't mean to offend anyone but I'm going to be bluntly honest and hopefully someone will be able to help me reach something that feels more than just a superficial understanding that deep down I'm not comfortable with.

Background.
    I have always identified myself as a Muslim and throughout my teenage years ( I am now approaching twenty) I undoubtedly have run into people, situations and scenarios that have made me question my religion, but despite this I've managed to reconcile these issues with my faith. At times, despite my personal opinion on an issue, I acknowledge it is what Islam says and I just have to accept it.
    A few years ago I came across the concept of concubines in Islam and instead of facing the issue, I put it to the back of my mind, but recently being on this 'journey' to strengthen and consolidate my faith I have been looking into matters that may be considered more 'fragile'.

The present.
    Despite wanting to I am unable to reconcile the concept of concubines with my faith. Despite my hardest efforts, I can only somewhat understand the purpose of concubines.
    Something's I don't understand.
    -I don't understand why having sex and then a possible pregnancy is what would free a slave, why not just free her on the spot?
    - It is pointed out if these women were not used in this way they would be killed instead, but why not just keep them as maids? Why not just free them without killing them?
    -It's often pointed out that other faiths just killed their prisoners, but the wrongs of another religious group doesn't justify something that to my mind only seems slightly better.

Main concerns
    - Another reason is because 'women have needs', but what if the woman doesn't wish to be a concubine? I have been told that the woman would have had no right to refuse. If a woman can not refuse sexual intercourse then you are forcing yourself onto an unwilling woman, you are raping her.
    - Am I right in believing if she is Muslim she can't be used as a concubine? So if she said the shahada, that would automatically stop her from becoming a concubine (regardless of whether it was genuine or not?)

- I keep being told slavery is abolished but that is besides the point and seems like a cop out, if there was a proper Islamic Shariah state would concubines be allowed in this day and age?

Please confirm
    I was looking on a very well known Muslim question and answer website and they were addressing the question of concubines. The individual answering the question also stated the wife of a man would be unable to protest or be displeased if her husband were to take a concubine. In effect her opinion was of no importance and the man was free to have intercourse with as many concubines as he wished. If this is true, then I don't understand how a woman can state in her marriage contract she has the right to divorce if a man takes another wife, but can not object to concubines.

I have many more questions and I understand that this is a very long query and for that I apologise but this is something that I feel I have to ignore and have it chip at and weaken my faith, or tackle it head on and solve how shaky my faith feels when I'm approached with these subjects. I hope someone can answer some of the questions, if not all and I hope you don't mind my follow up questions.

Thank you!

Re: Concubines in Islam.

Aaaah the concubines as scarce as hens teeth.

Comment

Man, I haven't come across any modern day Muslims that keep concubines. I don't think keeping concubines is made mandatory to anyone in Islam. So if you happen to win over a few non Muslim women in a war, free them like you want - you won't then be doing anything unislamic.
      Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

Originally posted by Vishnu View Post
        Man, I haven't come across any modern day Muslims that keep concubines. I don't think keeping concubines is made mandatory to anyone in Islam. So if you happen to win over a few non Muslim women in a war, free them like you want - you won't then be doing anything unislamic.
        I can keep them if I want.

Comment

This topic, the hijab/Niqab and the beard must have 1000's of threads on here by now.

Does the forum search function not work or do people truly believe that their thread on these topics are unique and have never been discussed before.

It is also worrying that people even think like the OP. "we listen and we obey" this is the sunnah of Sahabah. Today we barely even listen and what we hear we question.

May Allah guide us.
          By Him in whose Hand is the Soul of Muhammad, there is not one from the nations of the Jews and the Christians who hears about me and then dies while he has not believed in what I have been sent with except that he will be one of the companions of the FireĒ. (Reported by Muslim in kitaabul Imaan)
          www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by mokko
            Today, people listen AND question. They use their brain, it is normal. This is also how science progresses. Questions, questions, and questions. The feeling of guilt must be on those who are not able to answer, not on the one who asked the question.
            This is the way a kaffir would view things. I assume you aren't Muslim since it isn't stated in your profile nor is this an Islamic way to think.

The Quran makes lawful the women that "your right-hand possesses" with words to that effect. Muslims believe the Quran is the word of Allah ta'ala therefore there is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

I'll explain it simply: If we found a Saheeh Hadith that stated the sky was red or indeed if there was a Quran Ayah that stated the sky is red. Then despite what we see with our eyes that the sky is in fact blue we would consider the sky to be Red. Because the fault is with our eyes and our perception as these two things can be mistaken, wrong or faulty. Whereas the words of Allah ta'ala and his Rasul(SAW) can never be wrong or faulty.

Obviously you have to be Muslim to understand this but that is the bottomline for a believer.
            By Him in whose Hand is the Soul of Muhammad, there is not one from the nations of the Jews and the Christians who hears about me and then dies while he has not believed in what I have been sent with except that he will be one of the companions of the FireĒ. (Reported by Muslim in kitaabul Imaan)
            www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

You seem to use your own intuitions about justice to assess religious commands. This practice is not consensual among Muslims.

Indeed, some theologians usually cut your issue at the root, by affirming that what is just is determined by what Allah commands. For example, if Allah allows rape in some cases, then rape in those cases is just, by definition of justice. The website "Islam Q&A" seems to be run by theologians of this kind.
              thats a blatant lie. There is no rape in islam, nor does the Islam-qa.com website say that Allah ta ala allows rape under any circumstance.

you two smell like a couple of trolls.
              "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

:wswrwb:

well, the search function would have answered your question so instead of going in deep, ill just put it in point form:

1) regarding the rape issue, just look at the sunnah and the way the sahabah treated their concubines. the prophet pbuh offered one the option of being free or staying a concubine, and she willingly chose to stay a concubine. this speaks volumes.

2)the whole purpose of making a person a concubine is so that they can see islam. the enemy has always distorted islam so that when they fight it, they reallly think they are doing a good thing. seeing is beliveing in may cases. they will be able to see the muslims and how they really are.

3) the ayah allowing sex with a concubine in in the same ayah about the permissability of sex with your wife in some parts of the quran, or one ayah after (ex suratul nur) my point is that nowhere in the ayah is rape mentioned. the ayah mentions one can have relations with their wives or whome their right hand posseses. people however have jumpped the gun saying this and that nd comming to fast conclusions.

4) forget about her needs. what happens when you put a man and a woman together in such and enviroment over time? an attraction or attachment will develop. if Allah dident leagalize relations with concubines many muslim men would have fallen into zina, but Allah is mercifull and made it easy for us and allowed us to have concubines.

did laterempires abuse the rights of a concubine? yes. thats why we folllow the example of the prophet pbuh and the sahabah.

as for concubines in todays time, its still valid but there is no khilafa at the moment waging jihad on the kuffar so for the moment, no concubines.
                And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Yah just give it to them, where they come from

Comment

also just in general, there is no harm in asking questions on matters.

the prophet pbuh said that the cure to ignorance is asking questions. these are the issues of today so its normal that people might have misunderstanding or doubts because of the huge media warfare going on against islam at the moment.

but Allah guides who he wills and falsehood is no substitute for truth.
                    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

:wswrwb:

dear Sister, i have answered a very similar question in the recent past; it is rather elaborate so i'll post up some it's excerpts here for you inshAllah; happy reading! :1peace::

Question:

Hello

I've been reading about the right of Muslim men to have sex with their female slaves.

How does a Muslim man acquire slaves? What is the definition of a slave for a Muslim? Does a prostitute count as a slave? Does a kidnapped woman count as a slave or is it solely the booty of war?

How do Muslim men and women feel about a man's right to have sex with his female slaves in this day and age?

Can the female slave refuse the advances?

I'm struggling to understand how a religious scripture can incorporate this kind of material.

Answer:

This issue has to be considered in context and deeply sister to be understood properly; also any pre-concieved ideas of right and wrong should be put aside

Islam basically says that a person who dies as a non-muslim will burn in hell for all eternity sister [apart from those who the Message of islam has not reached; such people will be put to a test on the Day of Judgement] so this is why ALlah has allowed slavery in order to rehabilitate prisoners and give them a excellent chance of becoming muslim; the slavery system in islam is just that, a rehabilitation system, in which the slave enjoys unprecedented human rights and is virtually treated as part of the family, thereby being exposed to a most beutifull message of islam in action, hence many slaves have ended up accepting islam, and overwhelmingly, being a slave was a temporary condition

only a prisoner of war can become a slave and a muslim aquires a slave when the war booty is shared out by the muslim commander

Islam only fights those who are hell bent on destroying islam and allways inclines towards peace with those who want peace, hence the prisoners of war are only from the former category of people; Islam allows the women and children of the enemy who loses in battle to be captured too and enslaved, and this is a great mercy of ALlah in that the women and children of sworn enemies of the Truth will probably end up being the same if not put through a rehabilitation system; it's a bit like, 'social services' intervening where the women and chidlren in a family are likely to be harmed, but in a war context ofcourse

Another wisdom of slavery maybe, for there to be a strong detterent from waging war on one's creator and His messenger [saw]

Islam is needed for there to be peace and Justice on earth and for mankind to be saved from the most horrendous punishment imaginable, and warring against it aims to wipe this only 'saviour' out, thus such a strong detterent against it is understandable in this context

the Muslm male is allowed to have sex with the slave women as the slave basically becomes a property of her Master and the Master is allowed to derive pleasure from his property

I know all this sounds very harsh sister, but if we look upon this as a punishment of ALlah on those who warred against Allah and His messenger [saw], then it is more understandable in this context; basically the principle here is, if your not going to be a slave of ALlah, then taste the humiliation of being a slave of man, with all the benifits attached too as mentioned above

all of this however only pertains to the past as now slavery is prohibbited by treaties

[here the questioner acuses Islam of condoning rape]

Answer:

you asked a question sister, but jumped the gun before you received the answer:

http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/do...r_slave_girls_

I think this part [in the the above link]:

The Islamic critic would also appeal to the following narration, which states:

Jami At-Tirmidhi 1137 - Jabir bin Abdullah narrated: "We practiced Azl while the Qur'an was being revealed." . . . Malik bin Anas said: "The permission of the free woman is to be requested for Azl (i.e. coitus interruptus), while the slave woman's permission need not be requested."

He would argue that this narration shows that one could engage in coitus interruptus without the permission of his slave girl, which means that he could rape her.

The first and most important thing to note is that the Prophet (peace be upon him) didn't say that, Imam Maalik said that. The Prophet (peace be upon him) is our final authority.

Imam Maalik's reasoning was that the free woman has the right to have a child. The man doesn't have the right to forbid his wife from having a child, thus he must ask her permission before doing azl. However, if the Muslim gets his slave girl pregnant, she seizes to become his slave girl and he must marry her. The Muslim therefore, doesn't have to ask for her permission to do azl when they make consensual sex.

Again, where is the rape? Even if Imam Malik said that you can rape her (which he didn't), he is not my final authority, the Prophet (peace be upon him) is. So what evidence did Imam Maalik use then from the Qur'an and Sunnah to justify his statement that one can rape his slave girl (which he didn't say, it's only for the sake of argument)?

may be a bit confusing to the reader, especially the first part where it seems that one of the classical imaams said that one can have sex with a slave girl without her permission

but infact it is not sex that is being talked about here, but azl [coitus interuptus]; if a person reads all of the above carefully they should understand it, but since there is a potential for misunderstanding here, i'll explain it further:

coitus interuptus is not another term for sexual intercourse, but a form of contraception, it is basically when the man 'pulls out' just at the moment of climax, and it is this that he dont need the permission of the slave girl and not the sex itself

[in the last post by the questioner, many extremely abusive words were used, so i stopped reading her replies, then still not having read her replies, i decided to enlighten her further inshAllah]:

I weren't going to post here any longer for i thought you were beyond understanding, but now i see that nonetheless we have to keep on trying to show people the Soundness of islam, lest we should be guilty of neglect on the Day of judgement

I would reccomend you to look into the general islamic guidance, for if we only focus on the seemingly contreversial aspects, then one could easily lose the big picture

Since this issue is a bit hard for many non-Muslims to understand, due to the fallibility of the human mind, I think a few basic comments from me on this is not enough, so here are a few scholarly insights:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=712&CATE=115

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=1808&CATE=135

http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/17032

And finally

God Allmighty, the one and only creator of the universe, and to who'm we all shall return, has given this permission of sex with slave girls in the Holy Quran itself, so who are we to argue against that?

Qur'an (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee"

Qur'an (23:5-6) - "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..."

Qur'an (70:29-30). And those who preserve their chastity Save with their wives and those whom their right hands possess, for thus they are not blameworthy

Qur'an (4:24) - "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess."

Qur'an (8:69) - "But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good"

we were nothing but an unclean drop of water gushing forth..., and now we want to argue against the creator???

now ofcourse everyone will say their religion is from God, but Islam is not any religion, there are plenty of divine signs that it is from God, so i will urge all to read the Quran and seek the Truth with sincerety, and God-willing, the Truth shall set you free, er i mean, shall be made clear to you

Here is another great read courtesy of a brother who compiled it:

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...am-and-Slavery

Question:

Now I am confused about

YUSUFALI: Never should a believer(Muslim) kill a believer(Muslim); but (If it so happens) by mistake, (Compensation is due).

If one (so) kills a believer(Muslim), it is ordained that he should free a believing (MUSLIM)slave, and pay compensation to the deceased's family, unless they remit it freely. If the deceased belonged to a people at war with you, and he was a believer(MUSLIM), the freeing of a believing(MUSLIM) slave (Is enough). If he belonged to a people with whom ye have treaty of Mutual alliance, compensation should be paid to his family, and a believing slave(MUSLIM) be freed.

So what I find confusing is how can one Muslim become the slave of another Muslim?

Answer:

who said anything 'bout muslim?; Muslims can never be slave of another; if a kaafir slave becomes a muslim, then this is the only way a muslim can be a slave, but as said, being a slave was overwhelmingly a temporary condition in islam and the way they were treated, you really can't call it slavery as we know it today; rather it was 'brothers and Sisters'/fellow humans being put through a rehabillitation system with unprecedented rights!; infact ZAID [ra] the slave boy of muhammad [saw]; when his father came to take him home, he out of choice said he would not leave muhammad [saw] so he chose to be a slave treated by a Muslim, rather than be free again and live with his family; can you just imagine how good he was treated?

And that verse above basically demonstrates how being kind to slaves and freeing slaves were reccomended

Question:

And where does it say in the Quran or Hadiths that the reason for slavery is rehabillitation?

Answer:

it is deduced from the teachings; the Muslims duty is to save himself and all of humanity [as much as he can] from the Hell fire, so our interaction and treatment of non-Muslims wether slaves or not, is all meant as an 'invitation to Islam'; also the slave lives amongst the muslims and sees the excellent examples of Islam first hand; there can be no better exposure to the beuty of Islam

The slaves also enjoy unprecedented human rights and dignified interaction with the Muslim society too, not being shunned etc, and thus once their freed, their ready to live as respectable members of the community

... (iv) to distribute them among the Muslims as part of the spoils of war.

the fourth option, whence followed the humane laws and norms instituted by Islam for what is, in effect, the rehabilitation of prisoners of war.

The slave in every Muslim house had the opportunity to see at close quarters the truth of Islam in practice. His heart would be won over by kind treatment and the humanity of Islam in general, especially by the access the slave had to many of the legal rights enjoyed by Muslims, and, ultimately, by getting his freedom. In this way, many thousands of the very best people have swelled the numbers of the great and famous in Islam, whose own example has then become a sunna, a norm, for the Muslims who succeeded them-imams such as Nafi�, Imam Malik�s sheikh, and Tawus bin Qaisan, to name only two.

The reality is that in Islam it is overwhelmingly the case that being a slave was a temporary condition.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=712&CATE=115

Question:

Would you believe a story about a Non-Muslim freeing a slave and the slave refusing because he was treated well by his slavemaster?

Answer: yes it will be very rare indeed, however this slaveboy lived with THE MESSENGER OF ALLAH [SWT] and you can tell that type of endearment he'd have to the best of humanity, so it is not surprising that he did not leave; his dad was heartbroken when the boy was captured as a slave too and spent years? looking for him and the boy knew this, but yet he chose to stay with muhammad [saw]; straight after this event, the Propht [saw] adopted him as his son, untill adoption was prohibbited by Allah [swt], but in his later life this former slave was married to a cousin? of the prophet [saw], so this shows how their would be no stigma attachd to freed slaves and they would be treated as equall members of the community
                      Last edited by AbuRayhan; 20-09-12, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle umar View Post
                        also just in general, there is no harm in asking questions on matters.

the prophet pbuh said that the cure to ignorance is asking questions. these are the issues of today so its normal that people might have misunderstanding or doubts because of the huge media warfare going on against islam at the moment.

but Allah guides who he wills and falsehood is no substitute for truth.
                        u support the this issue?

misogynist :@

Comment

Originally posted by suddenawakening View Post
                          Salaam. Excuse me for the long post but I feel some background on this will help. I don't mean to offend anyone but I'm going to be bluntly honest and hopefully someone will be able to help me reach something that feels more than just a superficial understanding that deep down I'm not comfortable with.

Background.
                          I have always identified myself as a Muslim and throughout my teenage years ( I am now approaching twenty) I undoubtedly have run into people, situations and scenarios that have made me question my religion, but despite this I've managed to reconcile these issues with my faith. At times, despite my personal opinion on an issue, I acknowledge it is what Islam says and I just have to accept it.
                          A few years ago I came across the concept of concubines in Islam and instead of facing the issue, I put it to the back of my mind, but recently being on this 'journey' to strengthen and consolidate my faith I have been looking into matters that may be considered more 'fragile'.

The present.
                          Despite wanting to I am unable to reconcile the concept of concubines with my faith. Despite my hardest efforts, I can only somewhat understand the purpose of concubines.
                          Something's I don't understand.
                          -I don't understand why having sex and then a possible pregnancy is what would free a slave, why not just free her on the spot?
                          - It is pointed out if these women were not used in this way they would be killed instead, but why not just keep them as maids? Why not just free them without killing them?
                          -It's often pointed out that other faiths just killed their prisoners, but the wrongs of another religious group doesn't justify something that to my mind only seems slightly better.

Main concerns
                          - Another reason is because 'women have needs', but what if the woman doesn't wish to be a concubine? I have been told that the woman would have had no right to refuse. If a woman can not refuse sexual intercourse then you are forcing yourself onto an unwilling woman, you are raping her.
                          - Am I right in believing if she is Muslim she can't be used as a concubine? So if she said the shahada, that would automatically stop her from becoming a concubine (regardless of whether it was genuine or not?)

- I keep being told slavery is abolished but that is besides the point and seems like a cop out, if there was a proper Islamic Shariah state would concubines be allowed in this day and age?

Please confirm
                          I was looking on a very well known Muslim question and answer website and they were addressing the question of concubines. The individual answering the question also stated the wife of a man would be unable to protest or be displeased if her husband were to take a concubine. In effect her opinion was of no importance and the man was free to have intercourse with as many concubines as he wished. If this is true, then I don't understand how a woman can state in her marriage contract she has the right to divorce if a man takes another wife, but can not object to concubines.

I have many more questions and I understand that this is a very long query and for that I apologise but this is something that I feel I have to ignore and have it chip at and weaken my faith, or tackle it head on and solve how shaky my faith feels when I'm approached with these subjects. I hope someone can answer some of the questions, if not all and I hope you don't mind my follow up questions.

Thank you!
                          Wa Aalaikum Assalam

If the other answers here do not satisfy you, and you will actually read what I write, let me kknow. It takes time to write replies to these sorts of questions.
                          If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
                          There is a possibility a female might use this account to read something!

Comment

you should understand your question against the background that war rape is almost a constant in war history. In the short term (<23 years), it is better to regulate a practice than trying to forbid it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_rape

Instead of questioning the Quran and Sunna, you should question those who think that 23 years are enough to build an ideal society.
                            your reasoning is completely wrong mokko, because, concubines are almost like wives, except that their in bondage due to their menfolk [of they themselves] waging war on Islam, thus putting these women through a rehabilitation such as this is perfect for all time to come

God can get man to implement perfection in one year if He wills, thus 23 years was a great mercy to mankind

and it is not rape for the women do consent to the sex...; if they do not consent to the initial slavery, then prisoners have no right to opt out of their sentence

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
                              thats a blatant lie. There is no rape in islam, nor does the Islam-qa.com website say that Allah ta ala allows rape under any circumstance.

you two smell like a couple of trolls.

Mokko is a 100% troll. He has been already banned from some other Islamic forums. He is known for misleading people by giving them false information about Islam. He has done this many times before on the other forums. Now he has come to ummah.com.

So, Guys !!! Be careful!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X