Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shahada: There is no god WORTHY OF WORSHIP except Allah (???)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shahada: There is no god WORTHY OF WORSHIP except Allah (???)

Assalam alaykum,

I have read several times in classical islamic litterature the shahada "there is no god but Allah" expanded (by way of explanation...) into "there is no god worthy of worship but Allah".

I was wondering what is the basis for such an addition, which I find quite disturbing because it completely changes the meaning of the shahada as I understand it. To me it implies that there ARE other gods beside Allah, only they are not worthy of worship, thus ackowledging their existence which the authentic shahada clearly rejects.

Thanks in advance for your explanations.

Salam

Re: Shahada: There is no god WORTHY OF WORSHIP except Allah (???)

Walekumassalam

Yes I know the classical meaning is more clear and correct than the later one.I used to have the same in my signature but later on I changed, neither having any of it but in Arabic.

There is no God but Allah is the literal meaning from shahadah in arabic.So go with it.Although both mean the same, but shahadah in english is nothing as one has to say lailaha ilalah in arabic only and it will be valid.

So it is just a translation.
    صلى الله على حبيبه محمد و على آله و أصحابه و سلم
    Al-Muslimeen

Comment

Re: Shahada: There is no god WORTHY OF WORSHIP except Allah (???)

Originally posted by interprete View Post
      Assalam alaykum,

I have read several times in classical islamic litterature the shahada "there is no god but Allah" expanded (by way of explanation...) into "there is no god worthy of worship but Allah".

I was wondering what is the basis for such an addition, which I find quite disturbing because it completely changes the meaning of the shahada as I understand it. To me it implies that there ARE other gods beside Allah, only they are not worthy of worship, thus ackowledging their existence which the authentic shahada clearly rejects.

Thanks in advance for your explanations.

Salam
      Walaykum Salaam

The translation "There is no god but Allah" doesnt encompass the complete meaning of the shahadah. As the arabic word "ilah" which is translated as god in that translation actually means anything that is worshiped [see'Ibadah [worship] in Islam] by people. It does not necassarily have to be referred to as a god as it could be an idol, or a person, a system, or ones own desires, an ideology, a government, a priest, scholar, a grave... it could be anything.
      So when you say "la ilaha il Allah" you're really saying "theres nothing worthy of worship except Allah".
      http://kondori.wordpress.com/

Like this page on FB
      HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

"...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

"We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
      Shaykh Akram Nadwi

Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu ‘alayka ya Rasūlallāh

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...2vbxo1_500.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X